Hoshizora no Memoria: Eternal Heart Translation Project

Steve

And Tree of Savior's translation totally blows. I haven't ever actually seen a good crowdsourced translation. Especially not in the VN scene.

You're better off just acknowledging this project as being completely dead and moving on.

48 minutes ago, Decay said:

And Tree of Savior's translation totally blows. I haven't ever actually seen a good crowdsourced translation. Especially not in the VN scene.

You're better off just acknowledging this project as being completely dead and moving on.

That's a shame, I only just found out about this project today. It looked pretty interesting too.

8 hours ago, Decay said:

The quality of the translated content was pretty good until it was announced that all translators would get guaranteed beta keys for iCBT1. Since beta keys were going for $50 at the time, a lot of "translators" submitted machine translations (and sometimes edited ones) in an attempt to get them.

You're probably 99.99% correct that the project is dead, though.

Might as well leave this here for future people passing through.

Japanese learning guide

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind helping out with the translation of this fan disc. I'm still in the process of reading the original novel "Hoshizora no Memoria-Wish upon a shooting star-" at the moment, though. But, when I'm done with that, I'd love to chip in and contribute some translations. Even so, I'm working on another project right now too, so I'd probably need some help.

I'm still browsing through this immense thread right now, in order not to miss out on any interesting information regarding this dead (?) project.

In any case, I'd appreciate any information I can get regarding this. Things like, "are the partially translated scripts still out there", "is any project staff member still alive and interested in the project", etc.

47 minutes ago, Fukukaze said:

I wouldn't mind helping out with the translation of this fan disc. I'm still in the process of reading the original novel "Hoshizora no Memoria-Wish upon a shooting star-" at the moment, though. But, when I'm done with that, I'd love to chip in and contribute some translations. Even so, I'm working on another project right now too, so I'd probably need some help.

I'm still browsing through this immense thread right now, in order not to miss out on any interesting information regarding this dead (?) project.

In any case, I'd appreciate any information I can get regarding this. Things like, "are the partially translated scripts still out there", "is any project staff member still alive and interested in the project", etc.

The guy posted on 4chan a few days back that he was going to release a patch with the old scripts that night, but never did. Best to just acknowledge this as dead, and leave it that way since the main game is licensed. 

10 hours ago, Chuee said:

The guy posted on 4chan a few days back that he was going to release a patch with the old scripts that night, but never did. Best to just acknowledge this as dead, and leave it that way since the main game is licensed. 

Ah, I see, that's too bad. Though, about Sekai Project having licensed the main game, I'm not too worried about that. If they ever do license the fan disc as well, by that time the fan translation might be done already (positive thinking) and they might just be planning on buying off the translated scripts. Not sure whether they did so with the main game that was done by Staircase Subs.

In any case, if something starts moving here, I'm always willing to lend a hand. Just putting that out here, is all.

1 minute ago, Kiriririri said:

Nah they didn't do that. The Staircase Subs one is shit.

Really? How so? The script doesn't flow well, the translations don't fit the characters' personalities or just purely containing some mistranslations? (*still need to start playing the game*)

6 minutes ago, Fukukaze said:

Really? How so? The script doesn't flow well, the translations don't fit the characters' personalities or just purely containing some mistranslations? (*still need to start playing the game*)

The translation is Chinese --> English so that already causes issues, 3 routes also didn't undergo editing, Insem added joke lines and memes, http://pastebin.com/riMwPRnB

2 hours ago, Kiriririri said:

The translation is Chinese --> English so that already causes issues, 3 routes also didn't undergo editing, Insem added joke lines and memes, http://pastebin.com/riMwPRnB

Oh god, I hate it when people do that. Though, if they also plan on recruiting a TLC, I'd have no complaints.

*reads the rest of the flaws*
*...*
*interest of reading the game using the English patch drops by 88.5%*

Uhum, now I understand what you meant with "sh*t". In that case, I'm glad Dracu-Riot! is getting a retranslation! Nosebleed is doing it, and I trust she'll do a good job on it.

Hmm, I'm contemplating now whether I should just go and read the original Japanese version, although I will feel more comfortable reading the English version.

*Edit: So I decided going with the English version anyway, since it's quite a long game and I have to say, the overall translation quality is definitely not bad (up to this point, 2 hours in). I'm satisfied with the flow of the dialogue and the font choice is pretty good. I did some research right before I started and it seems that, as you stated, some script files near the end of the game didn't undergo editing. So, the quality might indeed drop a little around there.

Also, it seems Staircase Subs released a v1.2 patch, which got rid of the infamous *dolphin censoring*. Still, I'm not sure if the "joke lines and memes" were also removed in that update or at the very least partly edited. I suppose I'll find the answer to that while playing the game.

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Even so, it's not as bad as Kiriririri stated it was. Okay, there are various lines that could use some re-editing, but the script mostly stays quite true to the original (as far as my expertise goes that is), so you don't hear me complaining. Just putting that out there for others, so as to possibly remove some people's worries regarding the translation quality.

On 5/15/2016 at 8:52 AM, Fukukaze said:

Oh god, I hate it when people do that. Though, if they also plan on recruiting a TLC, I'd have no complaints.

*reads the rest of the flaws*
*...*
*interest of reading the game using the English patch drops by 88.5%*

Uhum, now I understand what you meant with "sh*t". In that case, I'm glad Dracu-Riot! is getting a retranslation! Nosebleed is doing it, and I trust she'll do a good job on it.

Hmm, I'm contemplating now whether I should just go and read the original Japanese version, although I will feel more comfortable reading the English version.

*Edit: So I decided going with the English version anyway, since it's quite a long game and I have to say, the overall translation quality is definitely not bad (up to this point, 2 hours in). I'm satisfied with the flow of the dialogue and the font choice is pretty good. I did some research right before I started and it seems that, as you stated, some script files near the end of the game didn't undergo editing. So, the quality might indeed drop a little around there.

Also, it seems Staircase Subs released a v1.2 patch, which got rid of the infamous *dolphin censoring*. Still, I'm not sure if the "joke lines and memes" were also removed in that update or at the very least partly edited. I suppose I'll find the answer to that while playing the game.

If this level of badness bothers you, then you should be extra worried about this fan disc translation since by all accounts it is actually quite a bit worse than Staircase's translation of the main game. It's dead, anyway. Like, completely dead. 

As for Dracu-Riot, you seem misinformed. It is not being retranslated. Nosebleed is helping finish the the Miu route, which is currently unfinished. Clephas is also helping. Fiddle is going to do a thorough TLC pass at some point down the line, after the initial 100% patch is released. But that's not really a "retranslation," he's only fixing lines that are wrong, and within the framework of the old lines instead of rewriting everything from scratch. Also, I'm editing the whole dang thing to sound less stupid. There are a lot of badly worded lines and such.

At some point, the Staircase translator actually did start translating from Japanese. This is pretty evident from the DR translation we have. But he's not very good at it. He adheres to the Japanese sentence structure too strongly, and in general the english prose is rather shoddy. It's strange, because there are moments that showcase a pretty decent ability to write natural english dialogue, but those brief moments buried under a mountain  of overly literal nonsense. Even really simple stuff like the position of adverbs in a sentence are carried over from the Japanese because I guess he didn't feel like thinking about the flow of dialogue. The shame is that I feel a little rushed to get the editing done quickly so I'm not being as thorough as I would with a script that's still in translation and a year+ away from release.

I feel like going back to Hoshimemo after this and seeing how that was done in comparison, since it being a translation from Chinese would likely give it a different feel. I've heard bad things about that translation. I remember it reading halfway decently, but I also sort of remembered DR reading decently. I read both for the first time back before I started critically examining this sort of stuff. If Hoshimemo actually reads similarly to how DR does now, I would say that it definitely isn't really good enough. And if you're a translator, you should aspire to do better work than that. 

I believe Hoshimemo's first routes should be "somewhat fine" since they were edited. However Chinami's, Mare's and Y***'s routes were not edited because Insem kicked his editor out after he made his mistakes public.

At least from what I remember, Dracu Riot is a huge step up from Hoshizora. There were a few things I liked about it (the whole "jump of a bridge" thing with Isuzu was kind of clever), but then again you had Chinami essentially ruined as a character because he made her speak entirely in 3rd person. Elina speaks the exact same way in Japanese, but speaks regularly in English. 

53 minutes ago, Decay said:

As for Dracu-Riot, you seem misinformed. It is not being retranslated. Nosebleed is helping finish the the Miu route, which is currently unfinished. Clephas is also helping. Fiddle is going to do a thorough TLC pass at some point down the line, after the initial 100% patch is released. But that's not really a "retranslation," he's only fixing lines that are wrong, and within the framework of the old lines instead of rewriting everything from scratch. Also, I'm editing the whole dang thing to sound less stupid. There are a lot of badly worded lines and such.

Hum, just wondering: what kind of editing exaclty? Please don't tell me you are doing a second TB :/

36 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

Hum, just wondering: what kind of editing exaclty? Please don't tell me you are doing a second TB :/

Much of tokyo babel was the way it was due to the characters themselves being completely ridiculous in the Japanese version, so they carried that across in the English version. Dracu-Riot's characters are more sensible in general, so I'm not going to go nuts with it. I also simply don't have the time or willpower to rewrite every line to fit that style. Nor do I think it's generally a good idea for the editor to be doing that stuff, that should come from the translator. The TLC pass is coming after my editing pass, so I have a little bit of leeway. I have been doing a small amount of rewriting, but still, nothing that extensive. Mainly, a lot of lines feel really unnatural and need to be reworded. There are also a fair number of mistranslations that will be addressed in due time.

This is a pretty big derail, though, so let's just leave it at this.

15 minutes ago, ninja_leetful said:

Sorry, I just wanted to check back with this since i havent checked in over a year.  Was hoping for the best.  Why are people still talking in here anyway then

It gained quite a popularity among people who were interested for an EN patch. 

So of course people would still be talking about it.. While some others hope to continue off the project even though it is dead.

2 minutes ago, iamnoob said:

Is there any way to contact steve? From what I remember from an update Mare's route was completely translated and well, there aren't any other routes? :D

Mare route is "kinda translated" and nothing else is.