Eroge with a censored official English release, a comprehensive list

sanahtlig

Why are games that weren't censored included in the list?

Contrary to popular belief, there is no single agreed upon definition of censorship.  The broad definition I'm using includes types of information control that many would not consider objectionable or "censorship".  For example, I consider Steam a censored platform because it does not allow titles with ero content regardless of market demand.  This creates an information gap where users who might be interested in adult titles are unable to buy them, even on other platforms, simply because they don't know about them.  I'm interested in closing this gap.

Eroge with a non-adult release in English fall under Primary Goal 3, and thus will be included in the list.  Titles will be included even if the Japanese adult release came after the Japanese non-adult release.  If the English non-adult release mirrors the Japanese one, it will be marked "uncensored".

In summary, I'm documenting multiple types of censorship, and many users won't be interested in all of them.  Don't grab your pitchforks simply because a game made the list.  Please use the sort function to identify the types of censorship that interest you. 

Just wondering, are you affiliated in any way with the youtube account "Censored Gaming," or did you just pull that graphic from a google search or something? Not that it's a big deal, it's just colored text, only a tiny bit odd that you're using their exact logo.

Edit: just now saw the attribution note on the blog, sorry, missed that earlier. 

Censored Gaming allowed me to use their logo.  They also retweeted my article posting.  This is the sort of content they cover.

It's worth noting that while people like to think that censored games will be magically uncensored by the powers of the Internet, the list shows this isn't necessarily the case.  Hirameki's titles were never uncensored.  H-scenes were never added back to Aselia, Eve: Burst Error, or Phantom of Inferno.  Kagura Douchuuki remains a husk of the original.  Sometimes adult content gets added back.  Sometimes it doesn't.  It all depends on fan interest and the technical challenges of each case.  This is why we need to push companies to get it right the first time.

I do not know how anyone could add deleted scenes in DVD release, that's just not worth it. I remember a guy who had plans to do a full remake and translation of original Phantom, but these plans remained plans and he only made a trial version.

For Aselia there is half of game was thrown away, so unless someone will translate that - no point in integrating that back.

For Eve that's first time I hear about censorship, can you tell more details? In your list told "uncensored". 

If you're speaking about japanese-only remake https://vndb.org/r4538 then it was patched by asenheim on their page (some things were not translated, obv).

37 minutes ago, Scorp said:

For Eve that's first time I hear about censorship, can you tell more details? In your list told "uncensored". 

If you're speaking about japanese-only remake https://vndb.org/r4538 then it was patched by asenheim on their page (some things were not translated, obv).

Looks like I was mistaken.  Thanks for the correction.  I remember looking at this before but the VNDB page is a maze and I came to the wrong conclusion.

In other news, looks like /r/visualnovels removed my posting.  I suppose they decided it was inflammatory / not relevant to visual novels / forbidden because affiliate linking.  Whatever the case, they didn't tell me why, or even that it was removed at all.

3 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

Why are games that weren't censored included in the list?

Contrary to popular belief, there is no single agreed upon definition of censorship.  The broad definition I'm using includes types of information control that many would not consider objectionable or "censorship".  For example, I consider Steam a censored platform because it does not allow titles with ero content regardless of market demand.  This creates an information gap where users who might be interested in adult titles are unable to buy them, even on other platforms, simply because they don't know about them.  I'm interested in closing this gap.

Eroge with a non-adult release in English fall under Primary Goal 3, and thus will be included in the list.  Titles will be included even if the Japanese adult release came after the Japanese non-adult release.  If the English non-adult release mirrors the Japanese one, it will be marked "uncensored".

In summary, I'm documenting multiple types of censorship, and many users won't be interested in all of them.  Don't grab your pitchforks simply because a game made the list.  Please use the sort function to identify the types of censorship that interest you. 

So you've decided to redefine the word censorship for the purpose of your blog post that is trying to highlight censorship in an attempt to make your case look stronger than it actually is. This is not a great strategy for being taken seriously.

20 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

So you've decided to redefine the word censorship for the purpose of your blog post that is trying to highlight censorship in an attempt to make your case look stronger than it actually is. This is not a great strategy for being taken seriously.

Definitions don't make or break arguments.  Definitions are simply the starting point for discussion.  I clearly spell out how I'm using terms, what my goals are, and how to interpret the sheet.  After that, I leave it to the reader to arrive at their own conclusions using the tools I've given them.

You don't have to agree with my viewpoints to make use of the sheet.  By carefully categorizing the alterations, I've enabled readers to sort the table to get at the information they're interested in--no matter how they define censorship.

As for me "redefining" censorship, I think you ignore just how much people bicker over the term (as with any term with a judgment value built into it).  I've talked to Nutaku users who don't consider what they're doing censorship.  If that's not enough to convince you that the definition is disputed, I'm not sure what is.

6 hours ago, Decay said:

You wouldn't add scenes to the DVD release, but rip its translation and insert it into the PC release. I figure nobody thinks it's worth the effort because Hirameki's translations are terrible.

Actually I tried to do that back in time. Hirameki very loosely followed the flow of the original game. There is lot of phrases absent in DVD release (suppose they did cut-outs to fit in DVD), lot of phrases are a mix of 2 or 3 japanese lines in original game. Another thing is that original Phantom is made in Macromedia Director and it is quite hard to insert translation back in the game (that's why remake is more promising). 

13 hours ago, Scorp said:

Actually I tried to do that back in time. Hirameki very loosely followed the flow of the original game. There is lot of phrases absent in DVD release (suppose they did cut-outs to fit in DVD), lot of phrases are a mix of 2 or 3 japanese lines in original game.

That's terrible.  It sounds like the process of making these DVD player versions was an act of butchery in itself, regardless of whether adult content was removed.

1 minute ago, sanahtlig said:

That's terrible.  It sounds like the process of making these DVD player versions was an act of butchery in itself, regardless of whether adult content was removed.

That's the reason I never played that Phantom DVD. Prefer to wait and play uncut one day...