Management games (been playing XCOM2)

InvertMouse

Hey everyone 8)!

I have been in the workforce for about a decade, and in recent years, I am getting opportunities to do team management tasks. It is something I enjoy a lot, and it is affecting the rest of my lifestyle as well. I used to be a self centered basketball player, but now, I finally appreciate the value of teamwork. As a kid, I idolized players like Jordan and Kobe, and lately, I have taken an interest in how guys like Pat Riley managed to assemble those dominant teams.

My newfound interest made me pick up XCOM2, because I love the idea of managing a base, and if I fail, the human race will fall to ruin. I actually would have loved to have a mode where you interview and hire a tactician, then you let her run the battles and report the results to you, or maybe I am just too chicken to take on that responsibility :wahaha:.

When the latest basketball manager game came out, I was tempted to pick it up as well, but I am unfamiliar with how salaries work, so I kind of wimped out.

I want to get everyone's thoughts on these types of games, and maybe some suggestions as well, both weebern and western titles. Civilization is one example that I have in mind. It is still early, but I want to invest into producing a game of this sort next year, too.

Thank you :)!

6 minutes ago, InvertMouse said:

Hey everyone 8)!

I have been in the workforce for about a decade, and in recent years, I am getting opportunities to do team management tasks. It is something I enjoy a lot, and it is affecting the rest of my lifestyle as well. I used to be a self centered basketball player, but now, I finally appreciate the value of teamwork. As a kid, I idolized players like Jordan and Kobe, and lately, I have taken an interest in how guys like Pat Riley managed to assemble those dominant teams.

My newfound interest made me pick up XCOM2, because I love the idea of managing a base, and if I fail, the human race will fall to ruin. I actually would have loved to have a mode where you interview and hire a tactician, then you let her run the battles and report the results to you, or maybe I am just too chicken to take on that responsibility :wahaha:.

When the latest basketball manager game came out, I was tempted to pick it up as well, but I am unfamiliar with how salaries work, so I kind of wimped out.

I want to get everyone's thoughts on these types of games, and maybe some suggestions as well, both weebern and western titles. Civilization is one example that I have in mind. It is still early, but I want to invest into producing a game of this sort next year, too.

games like that are terribly hard to design and balance is a never ending struggle for you will never know what can or cannot be exploited until well after release. Black Sands is a management game but it doesnt have nearly as much technical gameplay as games like x-com. Black Sands is more like Long live the Queen + Dragon Age Inquisition (war room)

28 minutes ago, InvertMouse said:

Hey everyone 8)!

Democracy 3, Tropico 5, i'll get you other games where you manage things. 

The UFO game series from Altar Games was my xcom...... well that's because it is pretty much a knock-off of the xcom franchise, aliens invade and you manage a international counterforce. The sad thing is, most of the series is shit. The first game, UFO:Aftermath is pretty solid. The second game, UFO:Aftershock is fucking unplayable. The last game UFO:Afterlight has some fantastic ideas and story related game mechanics.... but other than that kinda falls  flat.

Games that requires managing teams, army or being the boss (from what I recall): 

red alert games (platform: mostly pc, ps1, ps3,) , starcraft (platform: mostly pc, ps1), tropico (platform: pc except for the last game I think), sim city (platform: pc), theme hospital (platform: pc, psn, ps1), theme park world (platform: pc, ps1, ps2), shogun total war (pc), romance of the three kingdoom (platform: pc and different platforms I think?), rome total war (platform: pc), civilisation games (platform: pc except for civilisation IV which was also released on ps3 and xbox I think), special ops games (to a certain degree. Platform: psp, ps1, ps2, ps3), operation flashpoint (always in hardcore difficulty fps, a single missteep can cause the demise of the whole team. Platform: ps3 and maybe xbox) and lastly maybe patapon games (to a certain degreee. Platform: psp but can also be played on vita if it is purchased digitally)?

13 minutes ago, Valmore said:

Virtually any sports game these days have management mode or a game that lets you manage. Baseball tends to be easier since there's no actual salary cap, unlike basketball which has so many cap rules it makes one's head swim.

And they're some of the best management games out there. Fifa manager is also real good, cycling manager makes a lot of cycling fans happy.

9 hours ago, SilverLi said:

Yes, actually a good series. Legend and Space was fun. But I see nobody mentioned The Sims yet. Can you manage not killing your Sims in 10 minutes? :P 

Bonus points if you block your Sim in the walls with no escape while blasting John Mellencamp's "Crumblin' Down."

I am a huge fan of these types of games the sim-tactical-rpg-base-building-management types. One thing to note not all the games are management per say but rather fall into two or more of the descriptors listed. It seems that many of the games listed both above and here are games that have elements but might not be true management games in some sense. Often times they fall more into the category of tactical strategy rpg but eh maybe that would also be something of interest to you?

Some of the best sim-tactical-management games I've played are the following Age of Wonders (series), XCOM (series), Crusader Kings II, Endless (Legend & Space), Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, Star Wars: Empire At War Gold Edition (and way back I used to play Galactic Conquest), Civilization series, Chroma Squad: Tactical RPG, Tropico series, Anno 2070, Europa Universalis IV, Star Craft series, Blood Bowl (fantasy american football), Galactic Civilizations II, and then a little bit more on the stretching it side of the type of game Valkyria Chronicles (similar to xcom especially on the hardest difficulty but without a huge emphasis on base building you do have to manage units though), Fire Emblem, Darkest Dungeon, and Recettear (fantasy item shop owner).

If looking for visual novels that have a management type of feel to them you might want to try Kamidori Alchemy Meister, which is both a strategy rpg, vn, and management game.

Some of these titles might be stretching it a bit but most of these games have elements of what you are looking for if nothing else. Hopefully you can find something to check out.

Endless Legend is amazing, as has been mentioned. Other than that, I've recently been enjoying Prison Architect and Cities: Skylines, but those are more on a construction management side of things than tactics and stuff.

I've got over 1000 hours of playtime in Crusader Kings 2, but that was before some heavy-handed changes were made to the game. I can't recommend it in its present state and I doubt it will ever be the same.

Another old favorite of mine is Jagged Alliance 2. It's dirt cheap on Steam and fans have created amazing content for it (it used to be called Patch 1.13 IIRC, but I've been away from the game for a while and I've got no idea what's been going on since then). If you don't mind old games, give it a go. It's a bit like XCOM, but all your hirelings are fully and sublimely voiced and have (sometimes clashing) personalities.

• 2 months later...
On 27.02.2016 at 10:51 PM, Ariurotl said:

Another old favorite of mine is Jagged Alliance 2. It's dirt cheap on Steam and fans have created amazing content for it (it used to be called Patch 1.13 IIRC, but I've been away from the game for a while and I've got no idea what's been going on since then). If you don't mind old games, give it a go. It's a bit like XCOM, but all your hirelings are fully and sublimely voiced and have (sometimes clashing) personalities.

It's on sale at 80% off right now. Give it a go if you haven't tried it already.