Fire Emblem Fates

LiquidShu

2 hours ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

Can you explain this to me? I have no idea how this works.

Gamestop (maybe other places as well) is doing a bundle deal where if you purchase one physical version, and one digital, it'll be $60 instead of $80. The code for the digital version will be on the reciept, and you redeem it in-game to unlock whichever path.

I don't think this thing has been posted or discussed yet. Have a look at it. (USA official TL on the left, fan TL on the right).

As someone who wants to work as a translator, this makes me want to vomit. I really want to punch whoever is responsible for this. NoE had better make up for it, 'cause I'm not paying jack for this piece of shit TL work.

There, I raged over it. Now I'm feeling better. :sachi:

11 hours ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

Can you explain this to me? I have no idea how this works.

It explains how to get it here: http://fireemblemfates.nintendo.com/dlc/

Buy one retail game (either Birthright or Conquest), and when you start up the game, you can select Explore Paths to download the other digital version for half price off.

There's also a $60 pricing on Gamestop to download both digital versions on nintendo eshop.

You'll need a bigger memory card to fit the games though.  I think one game is ~3.5gb or something like that.  There's also the third game Revelations that is digital only for $20.

3 hours ago, Ike said:

I don't think this thing has been posted or discussed yet. Have a look at it. (USA official TL on the left, fan TL on the right).

As someone who wants to work as a translator, this makes me want to vomit. I really want to punch whoever is responsible for this. NoE had better make up for it, 'cause I'm not paying jack for this piece of shit TL work.

There, I raged over it. Now I'm feeling better. :sachi:

Honestly, this has been known for a while, and isn't anything new.  People who really, really care, already have an imported Japanese 3DS or have already CFW and gotten out of region lock to play japanese games.  To the vast majority of the rest of us, as long as the story makes sense, and is close enough between translated versions (IE german, english, french, etc. Basically EU) we could care less.  You think that the gamecube fire emblem games probably didn't have an entirely rewritten script? You must be silly.

Sure, you can get up in arms about it, being that this is a japanese translation community, but it really doesn't change the fact that this has been going on for literally decades. Old news is really old.  All that matters at the end of the day is consistency when talking about the game with friends.  It would be extremely amusing if they did screw with the EU versions though.  That would be a social experiment in action right there.

37 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

Honestly, this has been known for a while, and isn't anything new.  People who really, really care, already have an imported Japanese 3DS or have already CFW and gotten out of region lock to play japanese games.  To the vast majority of the rest of us, as long as the story makes sense, and is close enough between translated versions (IE german, english, french, etc. Basically EU) we could care less.  You think that the gamecube fire emblem games probably didn't have an entirely rewritten script? You must be silly.

Sure, you can get up in arms about it, being that this is a japanese translation community, but it really doesn't change the fact that this has been going on for literally decades. Old news is really old.  All that matters at the end of the day is consistency when talking about the game with friends.  It would be extremely amusing if they did screw with the EU versions though.  That would be a social experiment in action right there.

You're right, there's been no way for me to know how other games have been changed in the past. That's only the more reason for me to keep studying Japanese so that I can begin playing JP games and VNs.

If I get fired up now of all times is because it's easier nowadays to compare all versions, and because I developed my own ideas about how translations should be done. I honestly believe they went too far with this game, regardless of how script changes have been done in the past.

That being said, my biggest complains about Fates were already about the JP game, seeing how it's basically Waifu Emblem now. Fire Emblem games as I used to know them are pretty much dead regardless of translation :amane:

Sorry for the rant though, I felt like I had to express my thoughts a little.

While it does bother me to some extent that all of that dialogue was removed, I don't care enough to do anything about it. The only way I know to effectively boycott something like this is via your wallet. This is the best US is getting and I just wanna play and not worry about all that, so I bought it. 

On another note @Clephas, you said to get my healer to 20 so I can level it up to a better unit, but I can buy the Master seal and all the others at level 10. This mean I only need to level my troops to 10 before "evolving" them?

6 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

While it does bother me to some extent that all of that dialogue was removed, I don't care enough to do anything about it. The only way I know to effectively boycott something like this is via your wallet. This is the best US is getting and I just wanna play and not worry about all that, so I bought it. 

On another note @Clephas, you said to get my healer to 20 so I can level it up to a better unit, but I can buy the Master seal and all the others at level 10. This mean I only need to level my troops to 10 before "evolving" them?

This is a terrible idea. This means your characters are only level 30 when they level up, and when fighting against effective level 40 characters at end game, they WILL get stomped.  The promotion system keeps all stats previously, so promoting early will gimp your character as they will be 10/20 at max level with 30 levels worth of stats, compared to the enemy's ~20/20 with 40 levels worth of stats.

The other thing to consider is that by promoting early, you will get decreased exp vs anyone who isn't promoted. So even if you are 10/10 and fight a 20/0 unit, you will still get exp as if you were 20/10 and get severely reduced exp.   This also has the effect that you want to only promote AFTER ALL enemy units are promoted, otherwise you are losing enormous amounts of potential exp.

2 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

This is a terrible idea. This means your characters are only level 30 when they level up, and when fighting against effective level 40 characters at end game, they WILL get stomped.

Huh? So when you use a master seal the level of the toon gets capped? 

---

Oh I can use a heart seal as well. And the other stuff, all of em.

4 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

Huh? So when you use a master seal the level of the toon gets capped? 

---

Oh I can use a heart seal as well. And the other stuff, all of em.

There is a level cap in this game, and promotion basically stops that character's progress in that class.  As I edited in above, in older games you have 2 levels of promotion, the base class and promoted.  Both of these have a level cap of 20.  So by promoting a unit early, you stop that level track and move on to the next one.

Unless they changed the mechanics again from FE10/Radiant Dawn, the promotion items are essentially useless except for thieve's contract which is the only way to promote a thief to an assassin.  The seals are basically a relic from the older Fire Emblems in which you couldn't promote by leveling.  In the gamecube games you could continue leveling a level 20 base class and it would automatically promote.

Just now, Abyssal Monkey said:

There is a level cap in this game, and promotion basically stops that character's progress in that class.  As I edited in above, in older games you have 2 levels of promotion, the base class and promoted.  Both of these have a level cap of 20.  So by promoting a unit early, you stop that level track and move on to the next one.

Ahh... That kinda sucks, but I get it.

Good news to those who dislike the US localisation of Fates. Apparently there's a fan translation patch where the Japanese text is translated and patched into the US game.

It still hasn't been completed yet and you do need homebrew for it so if you can afford to wait then by all means don't update your 3DS.

I seriously hope that they don't butcher the EU release as well.

14 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

Question for all you with Fates, or maybe past FE games as well, is there any way to reliably put my units where I want on the field in the battle prep screen? Would be super annoying if there wasn't.

Not entirely sure what you mean.  For the first 8 or so levels, sometimes more, you are basically hand held and don't get to pick what units you want, or where to place them.  I assume you are past that point, and are able to select which units to take in to battle.  In past games before you started the battle and while you were selecting your units, there was a formation setting which would drop you to the map and allow you to view the entire thing along with enemy units and it would also allow you to rearrange your own units in fixed positions.  You were basically able to say "out of all the available positions you have given me, I would like to have these units in these spaces."

When I actually play more (just finished downloading :heart: weeee!) I'll post again if you haven't figured it out.

4 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

Not entirely sure what you mean.  For the first 8 or so levels, sometimes more, you are basically hand held and don't get to pick what units you want, or where to place them.  I assume you are past that point, and are able to select which units to take in to battle.  In past games before you started the battle and while you were selecting your units, there was a formation setting which would drop you to the map and allow you to view the entire thing along with enemy units and it would also allow you to rearrange your own units in fixed positions.  You were basically able to say "out of all the available positions you have given me, I would like to have these units in these spaces."

When I actually play more (just finished downloading :heart: weeee!) I'll post again if you haven't figured it out.

I actually haven't progressed to where I can't use all characters, at least in paralogue, grinding is where my time is spent (still on ch.8). I assume as well that you guessed what I am talking about. When I choose a unit and it gets automatically placed on the field, hate it. Want to be able to choose where my units are placed on the spots available. 

2 hours ago, LiquidShu said:

I actually haven't progressed to where I can't use all characters, at least in paralogue, grinding is where my time is spent (still on ch.8). I assume as well that you guessed what I am talking about. When I choose a unit and it gets automatically placed on the field, hate it. Want to be able to choose where my units are placed on the spots available. 

No idea, I'll probably pass you up by the time I get home tomorrow. As I go off to bed tonight I've already reached the branching point.  Man... normal is too easy.  I wonder if I should have put it on lunatic.  Here's hoping that conquest will be the challenge it's meant to be. I'm going to regret not putting it on lunatic if it isn't.

Something fun though.  So a few months ago (on second look: holy shit, since July?!) when the game released in Japan and was immediately datamined, someone put up all the sound rips.  I grabbed them.  I then parsed through them for all the interesting sound files.  Two things are apparent: 

1. Either I deleted some of the actual songs, or NoA added more
  2. The opening theme dub makes my ears bleed after having listened to this for what has apparently been 8 months (again, holy shit). Fuck did they mangle that so much. Please, please, please do not have ruined the final boss/stage theme.

1 minute ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

No idea, I'll probably pass you up by the time I get home tomorrow. As I go off to bed tonight I've already reached the branching point.  Man... normal is too easy.  I wonder if I should have put it on lunatic.  Here's hoping that conquest will be the challenge it's meant to be. I'm going to regret not putting it on lunatic if it isn't.

Something fun though.  So a few months ago (on second look: holy shit, since July?!) when the game released in Japan and was immediately datamined, someone put up all the sound rips.  I grabbed them.  I then parsed through them for all the interesting sound files.  Two things are apparent: 

1. Either I deleted some of the actual songs, or NoA added more
  2. The opening theme dub makes my ears bleed after having listened to this for what has apparently been 8 months (again, holy shit). Fuck did they mangle that so much. Please, please, please do not have ruined the final boss/stage theme.

I actually like the English dub, makes it feel nostalgic or something.

Obv the JP ver is better though.

3 hours ago, Clephas said:

The 'level 10 promotion' is a trap built into the series... promoting at level 10 means inevitable worthlessness for most characters, lol.

If I recall you had to do that if you wanted to change the class and get good abilities. Am I wrong? At least I played like that in Awakening. Because let's face it. Some classes got really bad abilities. 

48 minutes ago, SilverLi said:

If I recall you had to do that if you wanted to change the class and get good abilities. Am I wrong? At least I played like that in Awakening. Because let's face it. Some classes got really bad abilities. 

Base stats are everything in most of the games, and you lose out on chances for stat increases with every level lower than 20 you promote.   In the later games, skills were added, and that changed things up a bit... but when you are completely screwed over due to your promoted character having only one more attack power than the enemy's defense...

13 hours ago, LiquidShu said:

So after being able to select which units you want to bring into battle, (this is an option on the prebattle screen) selecting view map and pressing A on a non key unit (unit that you selected to bring into battle, this generally means no main character), you can select the 'swap' option and swap that character with any other non key unit by selecting that other unit's square.

15 hours ago, jetpack003 said:

Good news to those who dislike the US localisation of Fates. Apparently there's a fan translation patch where the Japanese text is translated and patched into the US game.

It still hasn't been completed yet and you do need homebrew for it so if you can afford to wait then by all means don't update your 3DS.

I seriously hope that they don't butcher the EU release as well.

I wouldn't get your hopes very high,  if high at all. The chances that they change anything from the NA version  is slim to none. Because Nintendo. 

3 hours ago, TheFantasm said:

I wouldn't get your hopes very high,  if high at all. The chances that they change anything from the NA version  is slim to none. Because Nintendo. 

Yeah, I kind of knew that the possibility would be very high but there is still a chance that they could translate it differently for Europe.

It happened before with The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes where the American version added some jokes to the character's conversation while the European game stuck to the original Japanese translation which was humourless. I think one of the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi games also has a different translation between regions as well and Super Smash Bros does have different text for its trophy data between regions.

Like you said, it's Nintendo. They tend to do some weird things with their games.

So for shits and giggles I left streetpass on when I walked in to campus today.  I honestly wasn't expecting anything.  Come home and I find at least two other people apparently also have this game and had streetpass on, waiting in my castle.  Fuck, now I feel I need to meet them.  That is hilariously entertaining.