Fire Emblem Fates

LiquidShu

Fire Emblem Fates

fire_emblem_fates_wallpaper_1920x1080_by

Since a Fire Emblem Awakening thread was created when the game released, I figured why not make a Fates thread as well.

This is my first Fire Emblem game, ever. I played a little bit of Awakening on a friends 3DS but I don't count that. The version I chose was Birthright and I started the game off on Hard/Classic, then quickly realized I majorly blow at this game and restarted on Normal/Classic. As of now I am two and a half hours in game and it quickly has gripped me. The story so far feels a bit cliche, but none the less I find it very intriguing. To be honest, I don't play too many JRPG's or RPG's in general and the amount of things for me to think about right off the bat was overwhelming. I know there is a partner/marriage options in these games so that alone got me thinking about every move and choice to get the right waifu. On top of that I have had to soft-reset the game a multitude of times due to units dying. Right now I just want to play and learn more and more about Fates, looking into the future to see what stats and decisions would best suit me is something I typically do, and that sometimes even hinders my progress. 

All in all I am very much looking forward to my play-through of Birthright, depending on how much I enjoyed it, I may even go out and buy Conquest down the road. 

I turned off permadeath on normal, and I'm playing Conquest after testing Birthright.  Birthright... is just easier.  Conquest is for those who actually want a taste of real strategy, as advertised.  Turning off permadeath was a simple self-defense maneuver, as there are no repeatable missions that give you experience for it right now, without the DLC maps set to be released over the next two months.  I've been abusing the online functions to let me get certain skills for my favorite characters, because I have so few opportunities to level up (I have the Villager's quick-growth skill on the protagonist, Azura, Kaze, and Felicia, lol).  Other than that, though... I have to give a simple piece of advice for those interested in playing Conquest - decide who is going to be in your final party early and level them up appropriately, relegating everyone else to meat shields or distractions (lots of different mission completion conditions, so you'll need to be careful to have a solid core party from the beginning to let you be adaptable).  All other units you want to pair-off or marry-off you should go ahead and do so in the online mode (as online battles do let you gain relationship points).

56 minutes ago, Clephas said:

I turned off permadeath on normal, and I'm playing Conquest after testing Birthright.  Birthright... is just easier.  Conquest is for those who actually want a taste of real strategy, as advertised.  Turning off permadeath was a simple self-defense maneuver, as there are no repeatable missions that give you experience for it right now, without the DLC maps set to be released over the next two months.  I've been abusing the online functions to let me get certain skills for my favorite characters, because I have so few opportunities to level up (I have the Villager's quick-growth skill on the protagonist, Azura, Kaze, and Felicia, lol).  Other than that, though... I have to give a simple piece of advice for those interested in playing Conquest - decide who is going to be in your final party early and level them up appropriately, relegating everyone else to meat shields or distractions (lots of different mission completion conditions, so you'll need to be careful to have a solid core party from the beginning to let you be adaptable).  All other units you want to pair-off or marry-off you should go ahead and do so in the online mode (as online battles do let you gain relationship points).

I kinda understood most of that, but going about it is beyond me right now. Did my research and that is why I picked Birthright, not very experienced in the strategy side of RPG's (If possible I auto-fight in Persona/Conception and the like LOL, at least until boss fights). 

Even playing Birthright on normal I either get killed a lot, or notice my mistakes to late and barely make it out. Finding it very helpful to be able to go out and grind challenges for levels on the side characters. 

32 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

I kinda understood most of that, but going about it is beyond me right now. Did my research and that is why I picked Birthright, not very experienced in the strategy side of RPG's (If possible I auto-fight in Persona/Conception and the like LOL, at least until boss fights). 

Even playing Birthright on normal I either get killed a lot, or notice my mistakes to late and barely make it out. Finding it very helpful to be able to go out and grind challenges for levels on the side characters. 

Tfw you can't even grind on Conquest. There's been 1 Paralogue in 13 chapters, and i've had to soft-reset at least a hundred times now. It's insane. I have respect for people who can do Lunatic/Classic. 

Since you are in Birthright, I'd suggest you level up your healer classes to 20 then promote them to a class that can attack as fast as possible.  As it is, the targeting priority for the AI tends to attack those with no defenses (initial healer classes and archers at close range)>low HP>Mages>low-defense stat classes like samurai>the rest.  It becomes a lot easier to defend your healers if they can also wipe out their enemies...  I also suggest that you use the X button to turn on enemy ranges so that you can calculate how you want to position your troops.  In Normal, enemies will generally head toward you to the limits of their movement range, with some exceptions, so knowing that range is one of the keys to survival.  More than anything, you want to be the first person to attack, and you want to start with ranged characters unless your enemy is an archer.  The reason for this is because a ranged character can attack once from outside the enemy's range, then you can gang up on them with a melee character next to that ranged character, letting you take advantage of the support system (extra damage).  I generally recommend positioning the ranged character so that you can position more than one character to take advantage of his/her support if possible. 

Other than that... Hoshido's healer class is not mounted, so their range is limited.  I suggest using the boots expendable item you get from purchasing both game paths  (check the crystal ball under bonuses and path rewards) on your healer (Sakura or otherwise) to give them an extra movement space so they can move in to heal your people from longer range.  This will also let them move out of range of slower infantry units if it becomes necessary or reach more units to heal them. 

31 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

This is the typical hazing Fire Emblem will give to new players.  Death. Lots and lots of death.  I haven't picked up either yet, but I am definitely going conquest with permadeath.

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

I have to give a simple piece of advice for those interested in playing Conquest - decide who is going to be in your final party early and level them up appropriately, relegating everyone else to meat shields or distractions.

This is how you play most Fire Emblems.  You don't fall for the free Paladin/Second Class character at the start, you only level one of the two cavalry you get, and you level the main character like 2 levels ahead of everyone else.  Otherwise your experience is just too thin by the end of the game if you don't break weapons against bosses in 200 turn fights.

Out of curiousity, do they have a Troubadour in this game? Priscilla and Clarine from the GBA titles were amazing dodge tanks, as well as OP mobile magic batteries.

1 hour ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

You don't fall for the free Paladin/Second Class character at the start, you only level one of the two cavalry you get, and you level the main character like 2 levels ahead of everyone else.  Otherwise your experience is just too thin by the end of the game if you don't break weapons against bosses in 200 turn fights.

Out of curiosity, do they have a Troubadour in this game? Priscilla and Clarine from the GBA titles were amazing dodge tanks, as well as OP mobile magic batteries.

You can always set your protagonist's secondary class to troubadour, then have your healer marry him so you can get the class on a healer in Birthright, lol. 

There is always the option to reclass when it comes to those second-class characters...  I plan to do that when Felicia maxes out Maid (switch her to Great Lord using the special item, lol) 

Thankfully, only staffs break in this game.  All other weapons are permanent.  In exchange, you don't get money for just finishing missions on Conquest, so you can't afford to miss the chests and other opportunities for money.  

Edit: Ugh, I just found out that reclassing doesn't do promoted classes any good in this game.  Dang.  Oh well.  I already maxed her affection with Silas, so I can drop her from the party, lol. 

Birthright feels more like Awakening when it comes to difficulty, whereas Conquest feels more like the old Fire Emblem games, save with more 'special' (battles where something other than killing the leader or all enemies determines victory or after-battle spoils) battles.  The old Fire Emblem games were pretty merciless when it came to overall difficulty...

@LiquidShu If you have permadeath on, go ahead and grind her up to level 20 and promote her.  Losing your healer is really painful in any FE game, though you can always cheat and go through online battles to steal someone else's version of her.  If you are going to do that anyway, I also suggest doing the same with at least one other non-protagonist player... preferably Silas.  Having Silas marry Sakura and then using him as her 'feet' is another way of handling the healer issue.  Your butler/maid (depending on which gender you chose) is more durable at first... but unless you are deliberately soft-resetting every time he/she gets a level, you won't see his/her strength and magic stats get high enough for them to still be effective in the endgame except as a debuffer and a healer.  I suggest marrying either of them off as early as possible... if your protagonist is female, marrying the butler off early means you get his child, who starts out as troubadour, meaning you can scrap him and use the child instead, getting rid of Hoshidan healers altogether or reclassing them into something more interesting. 

29 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Birthright feels more like Awakening when it comes to difficulty, whereas Conquest feels more like the old Fire Emblem games, save with more 'special' (battles where something other than killing the leader or all enemies determines victory or after-battle spoils) battles.  The old Fire Emblem games were pretty merciless when it came to overall difficulty...

@LiquidShu If you have permadeath on, go ahead and grind her up to level 20 and promote her.  Losing your healer is really painful in any FE game, though you can always cheat and go through online battles to steal someone else's version of her.  If you are going to do that anyway, I also suggest doing the same with at least one other non-protagonist player... preferably Silas.  Having Silas marry Sakura and then using him as her 'feet' is another way of handling the healer issue.  Your butler/maid (depending on which gender you chose) is more durable at first... but unless you are deliberately soft-resetting every time he/she gets a level, you won't see his/her strength and magic stats get high enough for them to still be effective in the endgame except as a debuffer and a healer.  I suggest marrying either of them off as early as possible... if your protagonist is female, marrying the butler off early means you get his child, who starts out as troubadour, meaning you can scrap him and use the child instead, getting rid of Hoshidan healers altogether or reclassing them into something more interesting. 

I was planning on parring Sakura and Subaki who is a sky knight, would that not work as well? 

Also I have classic on but when Sakura died in the Chapter 7 fight of Birthright, she retreated instead. Do certain story characters have immunity to perma-death, or is it just for certain portions of the game? 

11 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

I was planning on parring Sakura and Subaki who is a sky night, would that not work as well? 

Also I have classic on but when Sakura died in the Chapter 7 fight of Birthright, she retreated instead. Do certain story characters have immunity to perma-death, or is it just for certain portions of the game? 

Could you use her in the next battle?  Because, in cases like that, FE has historically had them be 'crippled' and thus no longer a part of the fighting team but still appearing in the story.  Also, yeah, a flying knight works OK... but the vulnerability to one-shot kills from bows is going to hurt you, seriously.   The reason I chose Silas is because when you promote him, you can choose the class with the overbuffed defense stats known as Great Knight.  Paladin could also work for evasion... but in my mind, that puts things too much to chance for an armored transport. 

45 minutes ago, OriginalRen said:

I heard the game where you band together with your adopted family (Conquest?) rapes you in the behind in terms of difficulty and makes Birthright look like a walk in the park. I also here that there is so much waifu potential and that it pulls a lot from anime stereotypes and tropes.

I've had the game since its Japanese release. The Anya/Nohr story is harder in that it plays like a regular FE game. The Byakuya/Hoshido story is more like FE8 and FE13 in that it allows for grinding and has generally easier, more straightforward chapters.

For the latter comment, it's been like this since Fire Emblem 13 (Awakening) came out, unfortunately. :(

6 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Could you use her in the next battle?  Because, in cases like that, FE has historically had them be 'crippled' and thus no longer a part of the fighting team but still appearing in the story.  Also, yeah, a flying knight works OK... but the vulnerability to one-shot kills from bows is going to hurt you, seriously.   The reason I chose Silas is because when you promote him, you can choose the class with the overbuffed defense stats known as Great Knight.  Paladin could also work for evasion... but in my mind, that puts things too much to chance for an armored transport. 

I am now praying that I can still use her. I hope I didn't save over the slot that she was still usable in...

52 minutes ago, OriginalRen said:

I heard the game where you band together with your adopted family (Conquest?) rapes you in the behind in terms of difficulty and makes Birthright look like a walk in the park. I also here that there is so much waifu potential and that it pulls a lot from anime stereotypes and tropes.

Every where I look I see waifu's. I already married Rinkah though, don't regret it for a second. However, now every time I invite someone to my private quarters she is there too. On the upside she always welcomes me home :yumiko: She is so cute :wub:

6 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

I wonder if a local game store has this.  I might go pick it up tomorrow after calling around. This is actually slowly becoming an obsession to play this right now.  The draw is insane.

I was dead set on mowing through my backlog, then Fire Emblem caught my eye. After obsessing over it for a weekend I caved and bought it. The night before this, I looked at my game backlog and deleted pretty much all of it since I decided if I had to force myself to play a game in my free-time it wasn't worth it, even for list/completionist sake. Now here we are! Playing Fire Emblem Fates and saying fuck it to just about every other game. I say go for it. 

With that said, ALL the GameStop's around me (even 100+ miles out) are sold out. On the flip side, Walmart and BestBuy had some in stock, yay. 

I was planning on marrying Flora... mostly because it is only sensible to marry the protagonist to one of the characters that is otherwise ineligible (the protagonist being capable of marrying all of the opposite sex... and Niles and Jakob regardless of gender).  lol

I got this game the day it released three days ago. I've been waiting for it.

So far I'm overjoyed by it! As a fan of instrumental songs in correlation with games, this one does it right compared to some other games today (as do most FE games, but this one does it as good as Awakening too, if not better). It really sets the right moods on parts of the plot and the fact that each faction have their own themes makes it better.

It's kind of a shame that they stripped away the waifu petting minigame, but I guess that's understandable for how some people approach that idea reluctantly in the west--I wonder how that works if the main character's a female...? Do they rub the male's face?

In terms of the gameplay, I love the new pairing mechanic where it's at times better not to pair up at all while other situations makes you have to. It gives a fair chance for every character to have a turn in fighting and not be left out in the back. The skill system is more emphasized to where they're more useful as well. All these changes makes this one more strategic than luck based, which I love.

I only have Birthright so far, I'm not sure why anyone would buy Conquest first knowing it's harder than Birthright and be forced to play an easier version after the hard one--but maybe I'm thinking too far ahead and that maybe Birthright can be as hard when adjusted to a harder difficulty. All in all, this is probably my favourite FE game yet.

Playing on Hard/Classic, and I promised myself that this time I wouldn't reset my game after a unit died... But I broken that promise, I can't afford to miss out on content yet. :(

For sure I'll play hardcore on my next playthrough though. There's a great feeling to permanently lose characters due to making bad decisions, making you reflect on life more.

I recently picked up a retail version of Birthright, and planning to get Conquest DL for half price off.  I was too late to get the special edition ; ; and it was sold out everywhere.  Even all the standard editions were sold out at all the gamestops around my area, but I was able to pick one up from walmart.

I started with a female character in Birthright~ and planning to play as male character in Conquest.  It's too bad I won't be able to date other female characters with my main in BR, so hopefully there's some interesting/cool males!  I haven't really played much yet, but so far it's extremely easy xD.  I've always played with permadeath in all past fire emblem games, but this time~ I'm being lazy, just wanting to enjoy the characters/story so I set my difficulty at Normal/(no permadeath).  Since I mostly just started, I don't really have any particular favorite characters yet.

To me, the story started off a bit strangely being thrust into the choice of choosing sides so suddenly (when you haven't really connected with either yet) but hey~ I'm fine with it.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of what the game has to offer. I do wish they had retained the Japanese voices though, darn.  Some of the english dubbing sounds weird, like, I kind of laughed at the sound the main's mother made when she acted surprised..lol.

In regards to combat in FE, does anyone know how to calculate critical hit outcomes from the unit's given data? As in knowing how much critical hit rate an enemy unit will have on one of my units without me having to move my unit next to it to find out.

An enemy's stat had 16 Crit, and in-battle, it showed as 5% and it critically killed my main.

I know how to calculate attacks (Enemy's Atk minus Ally's Def/Res) but not sure how Hit and Avd works as well as Crits. I also often see the "Hit" stat being higher than 100, too.

Edit: I figured out! Normally you take the attacker's base Crit and you subtract it by half of the opponent's Luck and that will determine the critical % rate in battle~

3 hours ago, Lexyvil said:

In regards to combat in FE, does anyone know how to calculate critical hit outcomes from the unit's given data? As in knowing how much critical hit rate an enemy unit will have on one of my units without me having to move my unit next to it to find out.

An enemy's stat had 16 Crit, and in-battle, it showed as 5% and it critically killed my main.

I know how to calculate attacks (Enemy's Atk minus Ally's Def/Res) but not sure how Hit and Avd works as well as Crits. I also often see the "Hit" stat being higher than 100, too.

Classically almost everything is additive.  For crits you take off defence and then triple the damage, though in one game it was the opposite.  As for the actual crit chance, its varied from game to game, but it's approximated by Skill/2 + 5% + Weapon Crit - luck of opponent.  As for Avoid and Hit, they're additive, and will negate a crit from actually hitting, as hit is rolled first, then you roll crit.  Typically though, you can only reliably calculate crit by face checking an enemy or having a table with all the other stats required to.  You're best bet when seeing an enemy with a crit weapon is to take them out before they can attack or send up a char with high amounts of defense against them to effectively nullify 90% of the damage.

That's how it had been from FE6-12, and I haven't played awakening yet, but I would assume it's the same.