Android Visual Novel [Let's play visual novel on the go!]

Widi

Well it's just that if Android emulators are anything like PC emulators than single-core performance is the main key to faster emulation performance, so it's no wonder that your LG wasn't up to snuff - dual core won't really mean diddly-squat other than allowing background processes to not interfere.

And I don't expect you to go and spend money on a $350 Android device just because some guy on the internet said that it may be better.  It was just something I noticed that was semi-relevent and proving the point that Android devices will get faster, and we won't know how fast such a device would be in emulation until someone tries it.

Luckily for us now that Win98 emulation is within reach more people seem to be trying it, and faster devices will only make it even more in reach to other people.  This way we can extrapolate the emulated CPU performance based on the kinds of games people are running and the CPU requirements for said games.

I will definitely keep an eye out via the Googles to see if there is anyone running DosBox on a Nexus 5.

Unless VN4ALL supports every single VN in existence, then it will not make DosBox obsolete for VNs.  My logic is that DosBox could still be useful for older VNs while I would imagine that things like VN4ALL would be focusing more on the relatively "new hotness" VNs.

In other news, is this one of you guys?
https://twitter.com/FOXHOUNDER1014

Ever17 isn't old to me; it doesn't use a 640x480 resolution nor uses Red Book audio for music (with MIDI as a no-CD alternative). :P

EDIT: Interestingly enough though, Ever17 was such an early case of the "modern" VN that its development (not its release) predates the use of OGG vorbis - the audio format used in 99.99% of all VNs made in the last 10 years.  Ever17 instead used ADPCM, which is what people had to use for gapless music playback before OGG vorbis if they didn't want to use raw uncompressed PCM/WAV files.

Fun fact: ADPCM is commonly used in PS2, GameCube, and Wii games (Xbox commonly used WMA for obvious reasons, though supported ADPCM as well).

But if VN4ALL could run the "newer" VNs, I'm pretty sure I'd be fine running the older ones like "Ever 17."

And yes, that's me. I'm FOXHOUNDER1014. : )

Unfortunately, it functions basically the same way as VNDS, so that means that you would still need a converter or someone to port it to be able to play the VN, leaving the more obscure VNs with no chance to be playable.

Guys, I have a problem running Tsukihime. when I use onscripter to run it, it runs but stays in the title screen "type moon" and then everything goes black, but the novel still have it sounds, as if It were running normally.. and when I change it and download the Vnds version of tsukihime and try to run it with vnds interpreter, the interpreter says there's no VN found on storage, no matter how much I change the route of the files, or I change the routes of search of the interpreter..

the problem is tsukihime use a customized version of onscripter so it can't run properly on the android onscripter. here's a trick to run it :

create a save-game on your computer of the beginning, copy it onto your SD. Then when you're at the menu with your android, press prev button four times and left click. This will go directly to the first secret of tsukihime and from there you can right click load save-game.

Unfortunately, it functions basically the same way as VNDS, so that means that you would still need a converter or someone to port it to be able to play the VN, leaving the more obscure VNs with no chance to be playable.

And the main thing I'm concerned about is that we obviously don't really know would be deemed as "obscure".

EDIT:

Usually I just pirate the apk file

I just wanted to say that I lol'd at your blunt honesty.

And the main thing I'm concerned about is that we obviously don't really know would be deemed as "obscure".

Well even if it was 'obscure' as long as someone were willing to port it it would be fine. With the plugin system, maybe someone can make a on-the-fly interpreter, but if for example it was using a complicated engine like Reallive, it would be very hard to make playable, so it really depends on the game, and whether people would port it over to VN4ALL

Just checking, I've  got my Android device rooted but I still have yet to get around to compiling a custom ROM, so I haven't tested anything relating to VNs on Android yet.

(I'm much more of a hardware guy, so me compiling anything is like asking your average Joe to use a command line; though I'm very spacial-oriented so typically I'm perfectly fine with even the most advanced and complicated GUIs)

However, I do have a homebrew'd DS, so technically I can run the original VNDS. :P  I did it once before but I own a DS phat, so the visual quality hugely pales in comparison to my Trinitron CRT monitor.

A larger hdd.img file was one of the main thing I was going to test regarding compatibility and stuff.  The only thing is that my largest MicroSD card is 2GB so that specific test would have to be done on PC DosBox.

I have plenty of room on my device with a 64 gig card but I cannot seem to create a virtual hdd file readable by Dosbox that is big enough to house the game. If you know how to do that then let me know and I would be able to try.

Regarding Tsukihime, why not just use OnScripter for Android?  Also I did not see anyone mention KiriKiri for Android...

Relevant link for both:

http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.net/tag/onscripter/

Habakiri seems to be in a sort of beta stage? As far as I know, it doesn't play any games, even Japanese ones, they all seem to crash at one point or the other.

Also, onscripter for android personally crashes a lot more than vnds, so I prefer vnds.

looks like no one read my previous post sigh.....  <_<

the problem is tsukihime use a customized version of onscripter so it can't run properly on the android onscripter. here's a trick to run it :

create a save-game on your computer of the beginning, copy it onto your SD. Then when you're at the menu with your android, press prev button four times and left click. This will go directly to the first secret of tsukihime and from there you can right click load save-game.

android onscripter isn't all that buggy, my friend even finished playing monmusu quest with it on his android....

looks like no one read my previous post sigh.....  <_<

android onscripter isn't all that buggy, my friend even finished playing monmusu quest with it on his android....

Well for me it depends on my ROM, certain Roms it will work fine, and at some it will crash consistently in certain places.