So... how would you want Fuwanovel to be like in 2016?

Nayleen

Honestly, I would love to see the homepage of Fuwanovel function a lot like the homepage of Toy's Planning:

http://toypla.com

Basically, we can have feeds for the Twitter/Facebook and simply have tabs similar to their homepage. Each tab links to the forums, blog, review site, etc. I think it would be cool to design images to use for each tab as well. We can customize the page to have featured tabs as well (i.e. = a blog post) and add a cool background. Simple, clean, and easy to do!

I'm still surprised that we don't have any beginners guide to visual novels correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't find any and I think it's important to have because visual novels is a little hard to get into especially for newcomers

1 hour ago, ezyo22 said:

I'm still surprised that we don't have any beginners guide to visual novels correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't find any and I think it's important to have because visual novels is a little hard to get into especially for newcomers

Step 1: Make a Steam account

Step 2: Read Katawa Shoujo

Step 3: Buy VNs on Steam

Step 4: Accidentally read a Sakura game 

Step 5: Reformat hard drive, and drink vodka until you forget Sakura game

2 hours ago, ezyo22 said:

This is 100% shameless self-promotion and kind of a threadjack (sorry), but that's exactly the problem I'm trying to address in the panel I'm doing at Sakura-Con in a few weeks. More info over here:

The slides I produce for that should make a good basis for a "getting started with visual novels" guide in website form.

28 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:
28 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

This is 100% shameless self-promotion and kind of a threadjack (sorry), but that's exactly the problem I'm trying to address in the panel I'm doing at Sakura-Con in a few weeks. More info over here:

The slides I produce for that should make a good basis for a "getting started with visual novels" guide in website form.

The slides I produce for that should make a good basis for a "getting started with visual novels" guide in website form

Use this as a reference maybe you will find something you can use in it http://rockmandash12.kinja.com/the-beginners-guide-to-visual-novels-1541975662

After analyzing our traffic and especially seeing the impact of our weekly VNTS updates I think it makes sense to work in two steps:

1. Move the blog (or run it on both blog.fuwanovel.net AND fuwanovel.net) to be the front page and make the links to the other sections as poppy as possible)
  2. Decide whether to build a new frontsite or more specific tools in the future

Reason being that we have a lot of traffic that doesn't generate us anything: A following, a core member base, nothing is coming from the main page as it is currently.

I think the site would be better off by focusing on information and we can easily achieve that by moving the blog into the spotlight.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Nayleen said:

After analyzing our traffic and especially seeing the impact of our weekly VNTS updates I think it makes sense to work in two steps:

1. Move the blog (or run it on both blog.fuwanovel.net AND fuwanovel.net) to be the front page and make the links to the other sections as poppy as possible)

Reason being that we have a lot of traffic that doesn't generate us anything: A following, a core member base, nothing is coming from the main page as it is currently.

I think the site would be better off by focusing on information and we can easily achieve that by moving the blog into the spotlight.

Thoughts?

Always thought the blog should be given more spotlight. The idea that the twitter and FB feed gets the entire tweets shown on the front page, whereas the blog gets squished into a 2 line miniature summary, with each headline given less space than the links on the left side of the page was incredibly disrespectful to the blog, imo. It also increases the sense that everything is squished and cluttered, as though you're trying to cram too much information into a limited real estate.

The beta.fuwanovel.net site is so much more beautiful in this regard. Each blog post gets the respect it deserves, and it gets important information on the front page giving it a sense of purpose again. 

To move the blog to the front page, though ... I'm not sure what it'd look like mainly because of the comments. I don't think having the blog comments on the front page would look that good. But you could combine it with Decay's suggestion, and at the bottom of each article link to a forum thread where people could comment on that article (instead of having comments on the blog itself.) Then there shouldn't be any problems conceptually :) 

Agree with you completely about focusing on information :) 

3 hours ago, Nayleen said:

Thoughts?

The blog is a good source of specifics, and like I said before some recommendations of official stuff on the front page as well should be quite useful.