has something like this ever happened?

ホアー ビち

lots of anime, manga, ranobe and vns have plot twists. some of them r big plot twists, that can change the whole concept of it. im looking for the latter, but like, in a rly unexpected way. 

example: take love live. lets say they did another season focusing on otonokizaka. but in that season they revealed muse were actually aliens from a planet that didnt have music. so when they were close to dying, they turned into humans to experience being idols in their last years, but also lost their memories in the process. (i wont elaborate on this, sorry if its stupid but its just meant to be an example)

im not talking about stuff like gakkou gurashi or little busters (the latter had strange stuff in routes and there was obviously going to have more to it) . im talking about a series that was completely normal and had developed its plot normally but a big plot twist like example above happened near the end or the middle (not the beginning), and nobody could ever imagine something like that would happen.

is there anything like this?

3 minutes ago, ロル ビち said:

yea, but they werent exactly normal, were they? they were promoted as stuff of the genre from the beginning.

Higurashi somewhat comes to mind (it was initially advertised as more of a moege if memory serves) but nowadays its stigma removes all surprise factor. 

Try YU-NO and Cross+Channel.

9 minutes ago, ロル ビち said:

lots of anime, manga, ranobe and vns have plot twists. some of them r big plot twists, that can change the whole concept of it. im looking for the latter, but like, in a rly unexpected way. 

example: take love live. lets say they did another season focusing on otonokizaka. but in that season they revealed muse were actually aliens from a planet that didnt have music. so when they were close to dying, they turned into humans to experience being idols in their last years, but also lost their memories in the process. (i wont elaborate on this, sorry if its stupid but its just meant to be an example)

im not talking about stuff like gakkou gurashi or little busters (the latter had strange stuff in routes and there was obviously going to have more to it) . im talking about a series that was completely normal and had developed its plot normally but a big plot twist like example above happened near the end or the middle (not the beginning), and nobody could ever imagine something like that would happen.

is there anything like this?

This is the sort of thing you shouldn't be aware it's going to have a twist before going into it. 

Take Higurashi as an example.

If you still want something even though it may spoil the experience, I'll put it in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

Symphonic Rain

2 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

This is the sort of thing you shouldn't be aware it's going to have a twist before going into it. 

Take Higurashi as an example.

If you still want something even though it may spoil the experience, I'll put it in the spoiler below:

Reveal hidden contents

Symphonic Rain

I was already interested in the SPOILER. Sweet.

23 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Higurashi somewhat comes to mind (it was initially advertised as more of a moege if memory serves) but nowadays its stigma removes all surprise factor. 

Try YU-NO and Cross+Channel.

Premise of C+C: 

"Gunjo Academy is a facility designed to gather and isolate those students who got a high score on an adaptation exam (Scoring high on this exam indicates that the student is less likely to be able to be adapted to the society) mandated by the government.

After a fa'iled summer vacation with other members of the school's broadcasting club, Kurosu Taichi and some of the other club members return to the city, only to find that the world had completely changed."

Premise of YU-NO:

"Takuya Arima is a young student whose father, a historian who has conducted various researches, disappeared recently. During a summer vacation Takuya receives a peculiar package from his missing father, along with a letter containing information about the existence of various parallel worlds. At first Takuya doesn't take it seriously, but soon he realizes that he possesses a device that allows him to travel to alternate dimensions. Is his father alive, after all? If so, where is he?"

Premise of Hitagushi:

" Higurashi no Naku Koro ni takes place during June 1983, at a fictional rural village called Hinamizawa, which has a population of approximately 2000. The main character, Keiichi Maebara, moves to Hinamizawa and befriends his new classmates Rena Ryugu, Mion Sonozaki, Rika Furude, and Satoko Hojo. Keiichi joins their after-school club activities, which consist mostly of card and board games (and punishment games for the loser, usually him.) Hinamizawa appears to be a normal, peaceful, rural village to Keiichi. However, the tranquility abruptly ends after the annual Watanagashi Festival, a celebration to commemorate and give thanks to the local god, Oyashiro-sama. Keiichi learns that every year for the past four years, one person has been murdered and another has gone missing on the day of the Watanagashi Festival. Keiichi himself soon becomes drawn into the strange events surrounding the Watanagashi Festival and Oyashiro-sama. In each story arc, he or one of his friends become paranoid, and a crime is committed. Usually, the crime involves the murder of one of their own friends. While it seems impossible to tell their delusions apart from the mystery of Hinamizawa, slowly the truth is revealed."

I dunno for you, but all those had already a premise that a big plot twist didnt seem unlikely.

1 minute ago, ロル ビち said:

dunno for you, but all those had already a premise that a big plot twist didnt seem unlikely.

Ahh I see

well, things like that which throw twists out of left field usually become famous thanks to the "sucker punch effect", in turn losing said effect, anyway.

Interested myself.

okay, let me be more specific:

vns probably wont do it (unless its a series and the twist only happens in the 2nd). i want something that has developed a normal plot with no twist, can be appreciated without the twist, and stays without twist for quite sometime (that is, until the twist happened). like gakkou gurashi but if the twist happened only, like, in the 7th volume or something.

EDIT: just pick up a random highschool SoL anime, manga or LN. then imagine a second season of it with a big twist like that. i want that kind of feel.