Best translated Mystery/Twists Visual Novels?

drakeis

Hey guys I'm kind of new to the whole Visual Novel scene I've only read about 4 of them those 4 are: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Ever 17, and Kara no Shoujo. I enjoyed reading all of them and as you can see I love my novels with mysteries and twists. I started reading Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru but I'm not really liking the vibe of it so far.

So I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for Visual Novels with a good Mystery plot or anyone's with big Twist because I like being surprised.

BTW Chiru is literally the SECOND HALF of Umineko, play Umineko no Naku Koro Ni first. Chiru comes later.

999, VLR and E17 are some of my favorite VNs (VLR being the overall favorite). We'll get along.

Try these:

Remember11 (same series as Ever17, far better atmosphere and pacing, twists and ending isn't as good but is overall better)

YU-NO (if you aren't the sort of person who mustn't ever use a walkthrough and/or the sort of person who can't stand old games, you'll love this one. Shit gets hella wack).

Danganronpa 1 & 2 (Amazing games, easily spoiled. Both are on Vita and coming to PC, DR1's PC port was released just this week)

Umineko is great too. Good pick.

As you already played most from Uchikoshi (who base the whole story upon the huge plot twist in the end), you definitely should check Remember11.

And I like Gen Urobuchi's novels - Phantom of InfernoKikokugai and Saya no Uta. That's something different and definitely have some good mystery and twists.

Apart these - Muv-Luv Alternative, Fate Stay Night, Phenomeno, Steins;Gate. And from older times - Eve series from C's Ware is quite good. And other titles from that company like Divi-Dead. And Tsukihime from Type-Moon.

If you like mysteries as whodunit game - Ace Attorney series have a plenty of them.

And I personally liked Hotel Dusk + its sequel, but they are for DS only (having in mind you played 999 this should not be a big issue).

12 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

BTW Chiru is literally the SECOND HALF of Umineko, play Umineko no Naku Koro Ni first. Chiru comes later.

999, VLR and E17 are some of my favorite VNs (VLR being the overall favorite). We'll get along.

Try these:

Remember11 (same series as Ever17, far better atmosphere and pacing, twists and ending isn't as good but is overall better)

YU-NO (if you aren't the sort of person who mustn't ever use a walkthrough and/or the sort of person who can't stand old games, you'll love this one. Shit gets hella wack).

Danganronpa 1 & 2 (Amazing games, easily spoiled. Both are on Vita and coming to PC, DR1's PC port was released just this week)

Umineko is great too. Good pick.

Your right we will get along lol. I did a quick search of these novels and they all seem like something I would read. The game I can't really get a feel for is Danganronpa I know you said its easily spoiled if I could get some additional details that would be great.

5 hours ago, Scorp said:

As you already played most from Uchikoshi (who base the whole story upon the huge plot twist in the end), you definitely should check Remember11.

And I like Gen Urobuchi's novels - Phantom of InfernoKikokugai and Saya no Uta. That's something different and definitely have some good mystery and twists.

Apart these - Muv-Luv Alternative, Fate Stay Night, Phenomeno, Steins;Gate. And from older times - Eve series from C's Ware is quite good. And other titles from that company like Divi-Dead. And Tsukihime from Type-Moon.

If you like mysteries as whodunit game - Ace Attorney series have a plenty of them.

And I personally liked Hotel Dusk + its sequel, but they are for DS only (having in mind you played 999 this should not be a big issue).

Haha I completely forgot I read the Ace Attorney and Hotel Dusk series I really liked the Hotel Dusk stuff.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

Umineko keeps coming up a lot so i might just continue playing it even though it doesn't really seem like my thing from the beginning bit I played so far

I have been considering Kara no Shoujo 2 but I hear its not as good as the first and I don't want part 2 to just be a repeat of how part 1 was. Cartagra seems to be a prequel to Kara no Shoujo, what year was Cartagra releced?

Chaos;Head defiantly sounds interesting will give it a look, Remember 11 also sounds like a must read.

Thanks again for all the suggestions feel free to keep dropping them in I am working on a list of what to read next as we speak

28 minutes ago, drakeis said:

I have been considering Kara no Shoujo 2 but I hear its not as good as the first and I don't want part 2 to just be a repeat of how part 1 was. Cartagra seems to be a prequel to Kara no Shoujo, what year was Cartagra releced?

I actually think KnS2 is better overall than KnS1 (apart from villain, that's hard to excel villains in KnS1). And it is not same, it reads more like a real detective story, than a gore thriller. Also original title is "Uro no Shoujo" - "Hollow girl", so like the title implies it is centered around different matters. And art is just beautiful, I would say that's best art I saw recently in VNs, so you definitely should read that, by me.

3 minutes ago, Scorp said:

I actually think KnS2 is better overall than KnS1 (apart from villain, that's hard to excel villains in KnS1). And it is not same, it reads like a real detective story, than a gore thriller.

Thanks for that information I will definitely be checking out KnS2 now. Have you played Cartagra?

7 minutes ago, drakeis said:

Thanks for that information I will definitely be checking out KnS2 now. Have you played Cartagra?

Yes. Cartagra is the prequel, that's correct, and written by a different author. But you should read Cartagra before KnS2 (if you ever plan), as KnS2 have returning characters from Cartagra (actually KnS1 have them too). Cartagra is centered on Shugo guy (no Reiji yet) and around strange murders in Ueno. It is not bad, but it have big amount of sex scenes (and they actually distract from actual thriller experience) and Shugo is not a capable detective, so do not expect much from him... But it is quite small, comparing to KnS, so you could read it quite fast. There is actually more, but that after story is not translated and PS2 version have extended scenario for Cartagra, but again not translated. Nothing too important for the future games, anyway.

5 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Yes. Cartagra is the prequel, that's correct, and written by a different author. But you should read Cartagra before KnS2 (if you ever plan), as KnS2 have returning characters from Cartagra (actually KnS1 have them too). Cartagra is centered on Shugo guy (no Reiji yet) and around mystical murders in Ueno. It is not bad, but it have big amount of sex scenes (and they actually distract from actual thriller experience) and Shugo is not a capable detective, so do not expect much from him... But it is quite small, comparing to KnS, so you could read it quite fast.

at least they actually have a setting that makes it more fitting, I actually didnt mind the h scenes in cartagra so much.

4 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Yes. Cartagra is the prequel, that's correct, and written by a different author. But you should read Cartagra before KnS2 (if you ever plan), as KnS2 have returning characters from Cartagra (actually KnS1 have them too). Cartagra is centered on Shugo guy (no Reiji yet) and around mystical cult murders in Ueno. It is not bad, but it have big amount of sex scenes (and they actually distract from actual thriller experience) and Shugo is not a capable detective, so do not expect much from him... But it is quite small, comparing to KnS, so you could read it quite fast.

I think I might just skip Cartagra I'm really interested in seeing what happens after the event of KnS right not because that was the last novel I read in full.

9 minutes ago, drakeis said:

I think I might just skip Cartagra I'm really interested in seeing what happens after the event of KnS right not because that was the last novel I read in full.

Do not expect the continuation of events from KnS1 :) As I told it is centered on different mystery. They are unrelated for 95% apart characters. So you better read Cartagra first (like I did). There is a lot of Cartagra-related hints and puns in KnS2 (like takoyaki guy, poster in Aoko's room, etc. etc), so it would be a pity to miss them, by me. And you will have a very different feeling toward Toji if you read Cartagra (in other case it would be just another character with no real background story).

32 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Do not expect the continuation of events from KnS1 :) As I told it is centered on different mystery. They are unrelated for 95% apart characters. So you better read Cartagra first (like I did). There is a lot of Cartagra-related hints and puns in KnS2 (like takoyaki guy, poster in Aoko's room, etc. etc), so it would be a pity to miss them, by me. And you will have a very different feeling toward Toji if you read Cartagra (in other case it would be just another character with no real background story).

Haha looks like it adds a lot to the story, I guess I'll give it a look