Danganronpa Discussion Thread

Eclipsed

Danganronpa 1 is out on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/413410/, the second one has also been confirmed but no ETA yet.

header.jpg?t=1455822735
"Investigate murders, search for clues and talk to your classmates to prepare for trial. There, you'll engage in deadly wordplay, going back and forth with suspects. Dissect their statements and fire their words back at them to expose their lies! There's only one way to survive—pull the trigger."

~~
This was one of those VNs that I've heard about from time to time but never got around to playing. Even when I got my Vita, pshhh ain't nobody got $40!

But it finally came on sale for $16 last month (and $14 for DR2!!!) and so I finally pulled the trigger. No regrets :sachi: 

Those you who will finally be playing this VN now or soon^tm, feel free to dump your thoughts and discuss away!

2 hours ago, Nayleen said:

Holding out until the 2nd game releases on Steam to play both of them back to back.

Been waiting so long already that I'll hold out to get the best experience, since a lot of people (at least seem to) like the second game a lot more.

I prefer the second game, but honestly there are many people who are in either camp.

Also, all you heathens should've played this on Vita already. Hmph.

7 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

ITS AVAILABLE FOR THE VITA? thank goodness. it says on steam its minimum required os is windows 7.

but since its available on the vista i dont have to worry that my pc is a vita. 

EDIT: since its available on the vita i dont have to worry that my pc is a vista.

Ohhhh.....

People that have < Win7 still exist? x-x 

But yeah, its on PS Vita. So gogo! Though, you'd def want to wait for the next sale...

Played Danganronpa before. Lack the motivation to play it again since it doesn't have much going for it in terms of replay value. The mystery is already revealed the first time and the plot is linear so no meaningful branching choices. The courtroom gameplay mechanics was fun(most times frustrating cause I suck at it) but not enough to warrant for a second playthrough. Backtracking during those roaming sequences was not fun. And all those character archetypes with their one-dimensional traits (except for the antagonist maybe) made character interaction a drag.

Maybe it's just me whining over the Japanese's policy of 'better late than never' treatment towards PC as a platform but I still don't get the hype(just like in cases of most pc releases). Personally, I'm just more curious about the sequel than this one so I guess I'll be waiting for Dangan Ronpa 2 on pc like the rest.

The hype is that DR is awesome and all the non-Vita plebs will finally get to play this. But yeah DR is definitely very low replay value, I myself never even bothered to grind / replay for coins to unlock the Extras, fk that.

DR2 compared to DR1 is more or less the same experience so if you liked 1 you should like 2. Though I'd say 2's characters and situations are a bit more extravagant.

1 minute ago, mitchhamilton said:

it can play on the vista confirmed. i had issues with the text box at first but i fixed it. works great as well, it seems be a steady 60fps gameplay so thats good. :)

I feel sorry for you, please upgrade or downgrade from Vista. I'm guessing you were stuck with a Vista laptop?

Just now, mitchhamilton said:

i hear vista get a lot of crap but honestly ive had hardly any problems with it. my machine is like 8 years old and still runs fine. ive never even upgraded it. except the automatic ones.

It uses too many resources and runs slower than the other OS. I guess it works for you for whatever you're using it for. No worries :)

2 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

oh, ok. this is literally my first pc so i have nothing to compare it too. maybe thats it?

ohh, I actually thought about mentioning that compared to other OS it is very noticeable. I just assumed you have compared it. If it works, just leave it.

SORRY guys for going off topic........ we won't discuss this here anymore.

Finished.
8.4, great game. Not Ultra-amazingly good, but still really, really enjoyable. Story better than gameplay, but I love those school-exploration sequences. Colecting prizes and giving them to people...not much.
And that awful rhytm based mini game called BTB... Ugh.

But I loved art, style, story, characters, voice acting, almost everything. :P

42 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Finished.
8.4, great game. Not Ultra-amazingly good, but still really, really enjoyable. Story better than gameplay, but I love those school-exploration sequences. Colecting prizes and giving them to people...not much.

How long is this game? You seem to have finished it very fast. Is it just so short or did you marathon it?

It looks a bit hm... freaky - is it really a serious title or more of a (black) comedy?

10 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

How long is this game? You seem to have finished it very fast. Is it just so short or did you marathon it?

Well, 3 days of 6-10 hours of playing. And this title was working really slow on my laptop, so with decent PC/Vita I probalby could finish it in few hours fewer. So it's decent in lenght. BTW, I recommend this site:
http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=16630

12 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

It looks a bit hm... freaky - is it really a serious title or more of a (black) comedy?

It's freaky, it's extravagant, it's over the top, but it's not comedy. Not many actuall laughts. Can't really compare it to anything I've ever seen. I would say that this is 'light' in tone, but depicts pretty 'heavy' situations. Characters and situations are exaggerated, but nothing overlly, to put you off the game.

1 hour ago, Vorathiel said:

Well, 3 days of 6-10 hours of playing. And this title was working really slow on my laptop, so with decent PC/Vita I probalby could finish it in few hours fewer. So it's decent in lenght. BTW, I recommend this site:
http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=16630

It's freaky, it's extravagant, it's over the top, but it's not comedy. Not many actuall laughts. Can't really compare it to anything I've ever seen. I would say that this is 'light' in tone, but depicts pretty 'heavy' situations. Characters and situations are exaggerated, but nothing overlly, to put you off the game.

I see, it never bothered me when it was Vita only, but now since it's available on PC, I actually have to think about playing it.

Eventually I'll give it a try, but not now. I still have some other titles on my translated to read list.

4 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Finished.

who's best girl