Dharker Studios is planning to make 8 games this year?

jetpack003

25 minutes ago, Crayten said:

My only question is: Why not make 1 good (lol) VN instead of 8 shity? :makina:

Well written stories does not equate to larger sales. Many ‘great’ VNs don’t do fantastic in Japan, the success of Sakura Spirit in the West speaks for itself, and although literature are usually excellently written novels they usually lose out to genre fiction in terms of sales. ‘Entertainment’ is what moves units, and great ‘entertainment’ can be synonymous with ‘bad stories’.

In short, Tilley is one of the more successful VN developers in the West, so why should he change anything just because some people don’t like him? Money talks much louder than almost anything else.

11 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Well written stories does not equate to larger sales. Many ‘great’ VNs don’t do fantastic in Japan, the success of Sakura Spirit in the West speaks for itself, and although literature are usually excellently written novels they usually lose out to genre fiction in terms of sales. ‘Entertainment’ is what moves units, and great ‘entertainment’ can be synonymous with ‘bad stories’.

In short, Tilley is one of the more successful VN developers in the West, so why should he change anything just because some people don’t like him? Money talks much louder than almost anything else.

It's the lottery mentality. Buy more tickets, more likely to win? :wahaha: 

And he probably gives a rat's ass about his reputation at this point. 2 of his games conquering the top 5 third-party sales on Mangagamer last year is enough evidence. 

8 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

2 of his games conquering the top 5 third-party sales on Mangagamer last year is enough evidence. 

Would probably have made the top 5 on MG all together (1st party and 3rd party.) If I remember correctly, the TL community on /jp/ were getting real bitter with how well the EVNs were doing on the MG site compared with the translated VNs. But that's been the case for a long time now, every since Christine Love's VN topped 30,000 units sold. This bitterness probably contributes partly to the ill-feeling toward Tilley and Winged Cloud.

5 minutes ago, Rooke said:

This bitterness probably contributes partly to the ill-feeling toward Tilley and Winged Cloud.

I guess, but I dislike them because they make garbage and won't stop doing it.  The fact that it's originally in English doesn't really factor into my hatred towards their products.

3 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Would probably have made the top 5 on MG all together (1st party and 3rd party.) If I remember correctly, the TL community on /jp/ were getting real bitter with how well the EVNs were doing on the MG site compared with the translated VNs. But that's been the case for a long time now, every since Christine Love's VN topped 30,000 units sold. This bitterness probably contributes partly to the ill-feeling toward Tilley and Winged Cloud.

I will never understand how someone would prefer these shovelware VNs over the actual good ones. It just makes me sad.

11 minutes ago, Crayten said:

I will never understand how someone would prefer these shovelware VNs over the actual good ones. It just makes me sad.

Good VNs tend to be pricey, in some instances almost the cost of a AAA game. Gahkthun is 45 American dollars which makes it incredibly expensive in people living in certain countries. It puts it out of the price range of readers (who will choose to buy 3 books for the price of one VN,) and makes it compete with games like 'Witcher 3' which costs a mere $5 more on Steam. Be honest now, if you had a choice which would you choose - Witcher 3 for $50 or Gahkthun for $45? To be honest, the Witcher 3 gives an all-round better experience imo.

This is exactly why Sekai's idea of offering a half-price version sans voices is such a good one. It offers an almost complete product, but most importantly gets their product out of a price range where they just can't compete (imo.)

12 hours ago, Rooke said:

The art is fine, it's less 'toony' than your typical VN from Japan. I especially like the muscle definition on the lady, and the normal proportioned weapons they're carrying. 

Tilley doesn't tend to be criticised for the artwork (even though the art style in High School Romance might not appeal to some people.) Generally speaking the art is of a decent quality, easily at the forefront for OELVNs. Their storytelling needs work though. They get criticised for their lack of depth in the writing, and their pandering to the lowest common denominator audience (*looks at Beach Bounce*)

That doesn't mean everything about his games is horrid, though.

I guess the art depends on the people's preference. In which case that kind of art for this title doesn't suit me. Granted, the art for Army Girls and the redhead girl posted before looked nice. I don't have much of an idea of what these titles are like but based on these opinions I'd rather read a review on it first before I get my money's worth.

Doesn't Tilley also get criticised for his behaviour? I've read some negative things about him based on his ability as the director.

7 hours ago, finiteHP said:

To be fair, he only added other games after the funding went significantly beyond the stretch goals. I was a backer for a while in order to see if the fact Summer Fling uses Copyright Free character sprites was addressed anywhere (it wasn't).  His post about adding Summer Fling was along the lines of 'adding more stretch goals to Army Girls would just lead to feature creep, so rather than taking money for nothing I'll use the rest for this game (Summer Fling) another of my teams is making.'  After he got some more money he asked the backers if in the unlikely event the funding got above the final stretch goal for Summer Fling, did they want him to add a third game.  I imagine after that got funded what conscience he had got thrown out the window though with the realization that if he promises more games the sheep will fund them.

Whilst its not brought up on Kickstarter it was brought up on reddit and I put some information towards that Vn Reddit Its surprising how many people try to vaguely pass it off, along with game backgrounds as you see in a chunk of other vn's I've mentioned this before.

6 hours ago, Rooke said:

In terms of audience between MG & steam users that normally buy Visual novels not many vn's even the slower more methodical ones that are better received. Receive enough money to support themselves. When you hit that barrier you either step up or people leave. We've seen a few studios blow up in the past. Once people have made it their livelihood they do a lot of things to keep going. Then again what your role in events is matters a fair bit also if your a vn programmer their isn't tons to do in comparison the work put into writing and art. What do you do with all that time twiddle your thumbs/review the work.

9 hours ago, Down said:

To be frank, I hadn't heard about AJTilley before literally yesterday (or was it two days ago?) so I suspect most fuwans don't know him/don't care and that he doesn't know us/doesn't care.

Well Aj doesn't personally post on this forum I do however and have posted 2 other threads but they were eaten alive within the day. By people that didn't like the written work or art style especially of the romance title. Its the least Anime of anything on this forum probably.. All of the titles do however get chewed out on fuwa reviews also. To clarify I did Marketing for Highschool Romance & after this kickstarter hit day 15 I was brought on to help it gain traction. I've done some community stuff for it but in more adult focused communities. We're still working out a deal for month to month work. Romance for that matter did  well on launch its not gone into any bundles so if you look at its steamstats you can figure out. I'm also the bugger that keeps sending fuwa review keys and making it misery for people, well maybe one day they'l enjoy it. I've also been hooking Dharker other talent such as /one writer so far/and other artists such as the Huniepop artist you saw with Coterie. Still trying the musician angle and trailer content but its still about affordability. I care a lot about quality content but its not me making them I can only occasionally point out suggestions or other people to possibly work with. 

Chances are when there is more to post about Coterie & Battle Girls I'l probably post about them.

I do similar work for other evn studios helping a few others on this forum & worked with Sekai to promote planetarian.

*edit* oh yea one other big the art that is the front of Echo Tokyo was done by the original artist that was mean't to do the whole series they were the one doing most of it during the Original Kickstarter however that artist disappeared after they got paid along with never posting on deviant art again. That caused that whole campaign to become a lot more expensive and eventually refunds were handed out.

• 3 months later...

There have been unconfirmed speculations/suspicions he's been padding the projects with fake backers, to give the appearance of financial success.

When I think about it, i can actually think of a similar case back with Sword of Asumi - which I foolishly backed. Someone had sopposdly dropped in 3k early on, but pulled out right near the end of the ks.

But that's just rumormongering~

My comment, okay will they crowdfunding 'Sakura Bounce' next time for joint project between Dharker and Winged Cloud. Or will Dharker make title like 'Bastard Bounce', 'Badass Bounce', or 'Bookworm Bounce' next time (Note that AJ using initial BB for their 9 spinoff). Looks like it'll be interesting, and by the way right now they managed to gather 32,407 poundsterling.

PS - My real reaction would by okay, whatever ie didn't care much aboout this KS.

On 6/20/2016 at 3:57 AM, Veshurik said:

They just want to beat Winged Cloud? Hah, good luck...

I have to hand it to Winged Cloud - I actually liked Sakura Dungeon, there may be hope for them (if they can hire another artist, or at least get him/her to learn character variation). I can't see AJ ever matching.

One need only look at the titles and you can pretty much guess what's going to happen. A lot of "copy/paste/reword a few things here and... done." Change the artwork a little and presto, you have however many games you want.

To his credit, whoever did the rewrite of the original Beach Bounce did about as best he or she could, given the story was little more than an excuse to get the females in bed within hours of meeting them to begin with. It's almost passable as a story, which is about the best one could hope for without a complete and total rewrite.

On 20/02/2016 at 6:20 AM, Valmore said:

Dharker Studios = rebranded AJTilley.com

So yes, I'm certain he can release 8 terrible VNs in 2016.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

PS: If I can get my hands on a review key for these games I'll smash review as many as I can.

7 minutes ago, Tyrael said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

PS: If I can get my hands on a review key for these games I'll smash review as many as I can.

Holy crap, I'm so rarely right and yet here we are...

I was skimming through the updates and I saw something that left me intrigued:

Recently we released a title called Summer Fling, which just does not live up to the level of quality I want to produce moving forward, as a result my team and I have taken a careful look at the Bounce series that we want to produce and have reasoned that the series will be spread out over 2017 and 2018 rather than just 2017.

which just does not live up to the level of quality I want to produce moving forward

level of quality I want to produce moving forward

quality

I am deeply confused by what he meant. Does the meaning of "quality" changed?

On 2/20/2016 at 6:32 PM, jetpack003 said:

Another title called Apocalypse has been added to their roster for a 2017 release. The art style looks similarly to the game High School X Romance.

04781b9e8eebd32b61876e36f9c993ad_origina

7dacd0e5870ece2a8569fd048a49a9dd_origina

This art style doesn't suit a VN in my opinion since it has a cartoony feel to it. It's better off being added to a video game instead.

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen any promotions or advertisements about their titles in this community. That's weird considering even Quantum Suicide has a topic here.

Anime isn't the only style acceptable for a VN, specially if the content fits the style.

dbbe1c35-a19e-414f-8c6f-e62f4218c465_zps