Jump to content

MangaGamer will no longer offer Steam Keys due to fraudulent purchases


Nosebleed
 Share

Recommended Posts

MG blog post: http://blog.mangagamer.org/2016/02/15/pay-processor-issues/

tl;dr Because of people making fraudulent purchases in order to obtain Steam Keys and re-sell them, MangaGamer has been forced to remove their Steam Key offers for the foreseeable future until a better solution comes.

It really sucks that people pull this kind of shit off.
On top of that, because of the currently existing chargeback policies, whoever is returning the money is always on the losing end no matter what they do.

I totally understand and agree with MG's move here and I even sympathize with them, but it's still sad I won't be able to get a Steam key to give to a friend (or giveaway) whenever I buy a game from them anymore.

Really hope this helps mitigate the damage for them though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Instead of blocking everyone from not getting a Steam Key, only block the motherfuckers who have only made 2 or less purchases in their account. Because this is usually how the frauds get by.

The ones who have bought more than 10 games and/or been a loyal and clean customer for half a year should be excluded.... 

Also time limit on the Steam Keys would be great. 30 days should be more than enough....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Down said:

I never really understood the point of giving a steam key when you buy a game anyway. Most people give it away to random other people or friends, that sounds like a potential lost sale to me.

It's no different on how your computer antivirus is good for multiple computers or your PSN account can be linked with several consoles. 

Whenever I have to renew my antivirus, I pretty much give the codes to my parents or I share my PSN account with my cousin because I have a bigger library of games than him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Down said:

I never really understood the point of giving a steam key when you buy a game anyway. Most people give it away to random other people or friends, that sounds like a potential lost sale to me.

For me it's kind of like a "if you own the game you get to keep it wherever it's available" type of deal. Or you can give it to a friend, because friendship is awesome.
You can say it's a lost sale, but does anyone have a reason re-buy a game on Steam that they already bought on MG? I guess if they give it to a friend then that's a potential lost sale, but it's really case by case basis in this scenario because that friend might not have gotten the game otherwise.
A lot of people also really appreciate when they get offered a Steam Key by a company for their purchase and for some it's even a deciding factor in whether or not to purchase the game, so that's something companies keep in mind as well.

Overall it's not really a bad deal until people ruin it like they did here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was getting into this thread with righteous fury and ready to rant about greedy companies being cheap. But after reading the actual reason I can't think of another solution. Sucks for us but this is a typical case of a few people ruining it for the rest of us. I hate to say this but this was probably the right decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Came into this thread thinking it was linked to the "FIRST PORN GAME ON STEAM!" that just released :wahaha:

 

Suppose this is the right way to handle it. I actually have some games with steam keys that I havent redeemed yet, though luckily they accounted for that:

"Purchases on our site will be disabled while we work with our payment processor to sort this issue out. Users who have previously purchased games that have been advertised to come with a Steam key will still be able to retrieve their keys, but future purchases of our titles will not be provided with Steam keys."

 

Like was mentioned here, I just hope this wont have any big negative effect on mangagamer.

(THEY ARE MY MAIN PROVIDER OF NUKIGE! :pyaa:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nosebleed said:

MG blog post: http://blog.mangagamer.org/2016/02/15/pay-processor-issues/

tl;dr Because of people making fraudulent purchases in order to obtain Steam Keys and re-sell them, MangaGamer has been forced to remove their Steam Key offers for the foreseeable future until a better solution comes.

It really sucks that people pull this kind of shit off.
On top of that, because of the currently existing chargeback policies, whoever is returning the money is always on the losing end no matter what they do.

I totally understand and agree with MG's move here and I even sympathize with them, but it's still sad I won't be able to get a Steam key to give to a friend (or giveaway) whenever I buy a game from them anymore.

Really hope this helps mitigate the damage for them though.

I agree aswell..it's sad to see a company betrayed when they actually tried to offer convenience to their customers...people never learn though and the greed gets the best of them.

In the end we all lose because of some bad people who chose to fuck people over to make money...as you said i hope Mg is able to recover from the damage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this doesn't really surprise me. VN/anime/manga fans (some of us included) don't like paying for Japanese goods to begin with, so doing this sort of practice is absolutely expected. People pirate these kinds of things all the time (stream shit, torrent games, scan manga), and I feel companies should realize this before even offering any kind of service.

Bad apples ruin it, but let's be honest, 90% of people don't want to pay for shit on the internet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, OriginalRen said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this doesn't really surprise me. VN/anime/manga fans (some of us included) don't like paying for Japanese goods to begin with, so doing this sort of practice is absolutely expected. People pirate these kinds of things all the time (stream shit, torrent games, scan manga), and I feel companies should realize this before even offering Steam Keys.

Bad apples ruin it, but let's be honest, nobody wants to pay for Japanese goods.

This is not just about piracy or even just reselling Steam keys, that's about games being bought with stolen credit cards. That's criminal activity, probably with a minimal degree of organization. And it's worse than piracy for MG because it actually costs them money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Down said:

This is not just about piracy or even just reselling Steam keys, that's about games being bought with stolen credit cards. That's criminal activity, probably with a minimal degree of organization. And it's worse than piracy for MG because it actually costs them money.

That's my point though. Do you honestly expect anything less from people who feel entitled to 18+ versions of games/fan translations/free shit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, OriginalRen said:

That's my point though. Do you honestly expect anything less from people who feel entitled to 18+ versions of games/fan translations/free shit?

This happens to all sellers Ren. GMG got into a bit of trouble for something related to this recently. Key resellers are sometimes scummy and don't tell people where their keys come from. Its a grey market. There are far better examples of VN weeb entitlement than this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...