Sekai Project's new licenses

Arcadeotic

I just don't get why the hell Sekai Project wouldn't aim for already translated titles. It's more cost efficient, faster and goes nicely with their motto of spreading VN's around. Sure, most VN fans may have already played such fan translations, but that's why Sekai Project always goes for steam.

In my opinion, they'd be bonkers if they didn't go for fan translated titles when they have the chance.

Wow, that stellar lineup makes me want to pass out on the spot from boredom. Hoshizora is a decent title, but a 18+ release will probably be another year (if at all) after the all-ages release. I'm not even going to comment on Wing Cloud's newest game, it would be like commenting on the tide coming back in. KaraKara certainly has cute artwork, but I highly doubt anything else will come from it. Not to mention that the fact that it is on Indiego is pretty sketchy.

I'm completely done with Sekai Project as a company that I look forward to purchasing products from. They are now on the same shit shelf with EA, meaning I only pay attention to them so I can be entertained by how shit-blistering bad they are at handling things.

5 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

I just don't get why the hell Sekai Project wouldn't aim for already translated titles. It's more cost efficient, faster and goes nicely with their motto of spreading VN's around. Sure, most VN fans may have already played such fan translations, but that's why Sekai Project always goes for steam.

In my opinion, they'd be bonkers if they didn't go for fan translated titles when they have the chance.

Somewhat I agree with that. All what SP did already was a strikes for non-VN fans Steam releases. I hope when they start releasing other non fan-TLed titles, they won't forget who supported their Kickstarters and release proper 18+ versions...

2 minutes ago, Maxel said:

Somewhat I agree with that. All what SP did already was a strikes for non-VN fans Steam releases. I hope when they start releasing other non fan-TLed titles, they won't forget who supported their Kickstarters and release proper 18+ versions...

Admittedly, their method has a huge flaw. They make deals and bring over titles by using kickstarter, and then put it on steam so the not already VN fan crowd can either become one or just learn that VN's exist and are a genre. However, the people that do fund kickstarter, that allow them to make all these deals, are the more hardcore fans. The ones who would put over a hundred or over a thousand dollars for their favourite games.

5 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Admittedly, their method has a huge flaw. They make deals and bring over titles by using kickstarter, and then put it on steam so the not already VN fan crowd can either become one or just learn that VN's exist and are a genre. However, the people that do fund kickstarter, that allow them to make all these deals, are the more hardcore fans. The ones who would put over a hundred or over a thousand dollars for their favourite games.

Then we get dissed and told "Please dont bother us with the 18+ stuff, Denpasoft handles that" nonsense or they make us wait for the promised goods that we pledged for or we have to constantly remind them they are behind or haven't done shit on time. 

Gotta love the customer appreciation Sekai Project. 

14 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Then we get dissed and told "Please dont bother us with the 18+ stuff, Denpasoft handles that" nonsense or they make us wait for the promised goods that we pledged for or we have to constantly remind them they are behind or haven't done shit on time. 

Exactly my thoughts. dovac will milk every cent he can without need to do any translation job if aim for already translated VNs - that's exactly what they do :) And KS - we all know the story with World End Economica

Yeah, I really feel pity for all these pledgers who support people who do not respect them in the slightest. But that's their choice (albeit I doubt that every pledger know how Sekai does biz).

Sekai Project probably spends more money on shipping costs because of kickstarters than anything else...kinda sad really. 

Quick question for anyone who bothered picking up the physical copy of Idol Master Chiruchiru did you receive your copy yet? The game has been out for how long but I've yet to receive my physical copy of it and I just want to know if they missed me or something.

6 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Exactly my thoughts. dovac will milk every cent he can without need to do any translation job if aim for already translated VNs - that's exactly what they do :) And KS - we all know the story with World End Economica

its never been mentioned to really use up ALL the funds on those novels translations. skipping the qualitycheck parts etc is okay, if only a few start whining & the rest buys it regardless. XD

16 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Gotta love the customer appreciation Sekai Project. 

I'll agree with this.

I don't know if the kickstarters are their main source of income, but if they are, the least they could do is making sure the partakers are kept happy. Kickstarter already seems to have some negative connotation to begin with, for no logical reason, so they should endeavour to try and at least keep people happy to overcome the small setback. Instead they seem to actively manage to anger the hardcore fanbase.
I'd like to understand whether this is due to poor management, idiocy or if they are just and evil organisation that is planning to take over the world with all ages VN's.

12 minutes ago, XReaper said:

its never been mentioned to really use up ALL the funds on those novels translations. skipping the qualitycheck parts etc is okay, if only a few start whining & the rest buys it regardless. XD

Sure, I actually have even better idea - they can just throw that in some crowdsource translation platform and call for arms. In this case they would not even need to pay the actual translator! Great idea, by me. And yes, all physical goods are nuisance, lets tell they all were burned in a sudden fire in the Sekai office right before they were marked to deliver or were lost by parcel service. Or a big fat elephant suddenly broke in and destroyed the goods... :) 

"More gold, your majesty!" (c)

1 hour ago, OriginalRen said:

That requires work, and why would you want to hire translators when you can just take a fan translation and tweak it slightly?

It doesn't actually require any more work on their side, since all they'd have to do is hire the people currently working on it. The only difference is that you'd have to wait longer to release it. 

1 hour ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Also Hoshimemo is actually an OK translation.

Hoshimemo is a pretty poor translation, all things considered. Not the worst thing out there, but definitely not something you'd want to release as a paid product. 

1 minute ago, Chuee said:

Hoshimemo is a pretty poor translation, all things considered. Not the worst thing out there, but definitely not something you'd want to release as a paid product. 

Doubt SP will do any major revisions on the fantranslation like what they did with most of their VNs, so I still expect shit but this time shit with bling and glitters on top of it. 

14 minutes ago, Chuee said:

It doesn't actually require any more work on their side, since all they'd have to do is hire the people currently working on it. The only difference is that you'd have to wait longer to release it. 

Why to bother hiring anyone when you can just get all for free? Fan translators have any real power in this situation? I am not quite sure they could protest against using their translation for free by the original VN copyright holder. Maybe I am wrong.

11 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Why to bother hiring anyone when you can just get all for free? Fan translators have any real power in this situation? I am not quite sure they could protest against using their translation for free by the original VN copyright holder. Maybe I am wrong.

Considering Sekai Project pays extremely high wages compared to other competitors (5-10 cents per character compared to the standard which is supposedly 1?), I doubt they'd do that. Not to mention I feel like harassing a group into providing their translation for free with legal threats is probably not a smart idea by any stretch of the imagination. Even if it may be legal, which I'm not even sure it is, it's an easy way to ruin your reputation. With the reputation problems they already have, I really doubt they'd want to do something that would probably make even some of their most loyal followers hop off. 

There's a whooole lot of SP salt being thrown around today. 

Some thoughts on the matter: It's weird that SP is "announcing" Sakura Dungeon, since MangaGamer already announced it. MG not only announced it, but said they are publishing and helping fund its development, and it will be 18+. So what the heck is SP's role? 

On the matter of Hoshimemo, keep in mind that AkebeiSoft2 wanted SP to release G-Senjou no Maou and Sharin no Kuni before they would allow them to license anything else. According to Moogy, who was involved in the process, SP wanted a shot at something more recent and untranslated, but instead are forced to jump through hoops. What I'm saying is that who knows what Favourite wants out of this deal. Or maybe SP wants "easy money," but it's not like they aren't translating plenty of stuff themselves currently, and I actually question how much more profitable it is to release a fan translation officially, when it's competing with the free release that's been out for years. As for the translation, it was translated from a Chinese translation. Translations of translations are always messy, and Hoshimemo was no exception. Especially since Insem apparently booted people off the team who made too many corrections based off of the Japanese script.

On the matter of Dovac's tweet about piracy (posted in the other thread, don't feel like responding in both), it's a pretty baffling tweet, since as far as I know the game in question hasn't actually been pirated. At all. So wtf is he complaining about?

With KARAKARA, that's using IndieGoGo's Flexible Funding, which means that 1) The game is going to be released no matter what, 2) SP is going to receive any amount of the funds pledged to the project, even if it doesn't reach the goal. IndieGoGo is a viable pre-order platform that is actually built to support that mentality, and SP probably figures that it's easier to sell pre-orders of an 18+ game at IGG than it is over at Denpasoft. Especially since IGG specifically allows 18+ content.

36 minutes ago, Scorp said:

I'm fairly confident this isn't happening. If it was, we would have heard something from an angry translator. Instead, multiple translators have mentioned that they have been paid for their patch being picked up. 

41 minutes ago, Runder said:

I really think Sekai Project should finish their huge ass list of games before adding more. It seems like they add 3-4 games to every game they finish translating.

I thought that SP was spreading themselves thin at one point, too. But they're still trucking along, ever expanding.  

19 minutes ago, Chuee said:

Considering Sekai Project pays extremely high wages compared to other competitors (5-10 cents per character compared to the standard which is supposedly 1?), I doubt they'd do that. Not to mention I feel like harassing a group into providing their translation for free with legal threats is probably not a smart idea by any stretch of the imagination. Even if it may be legal, which I'm not even sure it is, it's an easy way to ruin your reputation. With the reputation problems they already have, I really doubt they'd want to do something that would probably make even some of their most loyal followers hop off. 

10 cents per character? That's too high to be true imo. Also what I told is just a sarcastic remark, not like I really think they fallen so low to press translators for their work for free (but I would not be surprised if this happen one day).

Just now, Decay said:

I'm fairly confident this isn't happening. If it was, we would have heard something from an angry translator. Instead, multiple translators have mentioned that they have been paid for their patch being picked up. 

That was not supposed to be an accusation or something. I just forgot to put smilies. :) 

14 minutes ago, Scorp said:

.. to press translators for their work for free (but I would not be surprised if this happen one day).

regrettably that happens already, albeit non from sp´s or those other 2 bigger vn publishers site (or so i hope)