Sekai Project's new licenses

Arcadeotic

Source

So apparently SP is licencing Hoshizora no Memoria, Sakura Dungeon and KARAKARA.

Honestly this news is something else, not really good or bad.

Sakura Dungeon is what you'd except, another Sakura title full of fanservice. Apparently it is a collab attempt by Mangagamer and SP.

KARAKARA seems to show promise, but it is yet another Kickstarter-esque endeavor, so it needs to be watched carefully.

Then HoshiMemo. Oh boy is this redundant. Obviously this one is rather needless one, but the original translation was what it was, and some heavy editing is needed, so this isn't totally worthless, and maybe good in some respect, as I do love the title to death. But what ticks me off is that SP didn't start with something of more importance, like Eternal Heart or Irotoridori no Sekai. But there's still hope, as SP has shown interest in Favorite's titles, the Eternal Heart and IroSekai.

But all in all, even if Sekai didn't have over 50 open projects already, this seems rather redundant. However, maybe we will see something that actually matters from SP. Who knows.

If SP wouldn't even edit the Sakura ______ titles (and those were in dire need of an editor), what makes you think they'd do any editing for Hoshimemo?  IIRC, it was even said by a member of the fan translation team for G-senjou that when they did edit it they introduced new errors.  Looking at their previously licensed fan translated titles, it really doesn't look like they do much editing at all, just pay for the TL and toss it out onto Steam.  Why would they change that now?

I want to see an English team work on something completely new from popular companies (i.e. = Irotoridori, not HNM). Moege drives the VN market in Japan as of the past 4-5 years, and Princess E. is a step in the right direction, but in all honesty is the only high quality, length driven moege that has ever been released from all 3 major localization companies since they started. Even if you don't like the genre, seeing games from AAA companies in the VN industry that already had fan translation associated with them bothers me.

People always say how the English teams get rights to certain AAA companies games (i.e. = Favorite, Front Wing), but do you ever see them translating something new when that happens? Nope.

16 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

as I do love the title to death. But what ticks me off is that SP didn't start with something of more importance, like Eternal Heart or Irotoridori no Sekai

This.

IroSeka have a PSV version, so it would be more Steam-friendly.

But... Hoshimemo :kosame:

This is basically what Sekai Project is trying to do atm:

tumblr_mvv4b8badB1r3gb3zo1_400.gif

Keep absorbing all these VNs, translated or not, spam kickstarter and move onto the next one... like most of us scrubs piling up VNs on our backlogs and never play it. 

Also Hoshimemo is actually an OK translation. It's not Moenovel trash or any other alien gibberish that butchered the English language...

4 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

This is basically what Sekai Project is trying to do atm:

tumblr_mvv4b8badB1r3gb3zo1_400.gif

Keep absorbing all these translated or not, spam kickstarter and move onto the next one... like most of us scrubs piling up VNs on our backlogs and never play it. 

Also Hoshimemo is actually an OK translation. It's not Moenovel trash or any other alien gibberish that butchered the English language...

Exactly

I was indifferent about SP until Root Double and the such happened, and now this?

I'm so done with SP's bullshittery

I don't need another Sakura game nor another HoshiMemo

I need actually meaningful titles

Can someone tell me again why IroSekai didn't get licenced?

2 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Can someone tell me again why IroSekai didn't get licenced?

It can be on SP side: "Well, let's make some money out of existing translation first, we can also release it faster"

It can also be on Favorite side: "We want you to start with HoshiMemo first"

"We want you to start with HoshiMemo, because it's already translated"

Basically one of these threes scenarios.

1 minute ago, OriginalRen said:

One of the biggest misconceptions with licensing a game is that people believe that just because a company snags a title from a well known company (i.e. = Front Wing, Key), they instantly have rights to all the other titles made by said group.

That's false.

Well, not "instantly", but obviously it will be easier for the next negotiations if the first one went well.

5 minutes ago, OriginalRen said:

One of the biggest misconceptions with licensing a game is that people believe that just because a company snags a title from a well known company (i.e. = Front Wing, Key), they instantly have rights to all the other titles made by said group.

That's false.

Well, they have shown interest in Favorite's other titles, so followed patronage is possible,but by no means a given

Hoshimem is a good VN and deserves an official release, so I'm all for it. I'm also waiting for the translation of the fan disc Eternal Heart for some time now. Maybe this will speed things up and also turn into an official release?

Everything in the description of Sakura Dungeon screams Demon Master Chris 2, so I'll keep an eye on that one since I liked the first one.

Not exactly sure what to think about the Karakara announcement. It doesn't exactly look like a must play title.

3 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Everything in the description of Sakura Dungeon screams Demon Master Chris 2, so I'll keep an eye on that one since I liked the first one.

Demon Master Chris had game over rape and yuri. I dont think Sakura Dungeon has any of that... Most likely just boobs and fanservice trap. It's disappointing because most Dungeon RPG VN game's perk is the losing and still getting "rewarded" for it... :yumiko: 

1 minute ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Demon Master Chris had game over rape and yuri. I dont think Sakura Dungeon has any of that... Most likely just boobs and fanservice trap. It's disappointing because most Dungeon RPG VN game's perk is the losing and still getting "rewarded" for it... :yumiko: 

No worry, Winged Cloud will add some cannot-be-more-awkward H-scenes in later <_<