Shoujo City 3D (alpha release)

Laika Karou

UY4mJ9O.png?1

Shoujo City is a dating simulator game for Android, developed by me. It's not a pure VN, but rather a mix of RPG+VN. You have ten days to try and win love of a girl by giving her gifts, playing games, or going to regular dates. While talking to a girl, each dialogue choice affects your intimacy score. Each girl has a different personality and requires a different approach.

Gameplay video:

Even though the game is released already, it's still updated with new features and locations on a regular basis, so if you have some suggestions on improving the game, feel free to post. )

Shoujo city:
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoujo-city-anime-game/id1128360282
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.laikastudio.shoujocity

Shoujo City 3D: http://shoujocity.com

Edited by Laika Karou

Played the game for a while, here's my feedback/suggestions:

I would really appreciate it if you could add some sort of small tutorial/hintbox at the start because I wandered around for like 10 minutes before I knew what to do.
Or just put some girls closer to your starting point ecause the initial area is so empty you really have no idea where you should be headed. All the girls I found at the start were just selling me stuff and I had no clue what to do with it. I also spent my only 10 bucks on a crepe and I have no idea how to earn money. After some more minues minutes I finally found a girl, and even then I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with her since there's no hint, you just have to give them a gift and then they'll go on a date with you.

The dialogue is kind of awkward. And by kind of I mean almost always. I have never spoken to this girl and as soon as I give her a crepe she decides to go out on a date with me. Not only that, but when I pick a date spot and choose the date option, the first question she makes was "Did you miss me?" even though I had never met her before that day. The general pacing of the dialogue is also reallyyyy fast. It feels very unnatural to talk to the girls because things just move foward so quickly I don't even have a chance to know them.

The choices also seemed really strange at times. Maybe it was the girl I picked, but I had a choice between "let's go to karaoke" and "let's go get drunk", I picked the first because it sounds like a normal thing to do and it somehow turned out to be wrong. I mean, I'm not saying I'm a ladies man, but I figured on a first date you don't go "let's partaaaayyy!!1!", maybe I'm wrong though.

Like, really, what am I supposed to answer the question "What are you thinking about?" with when you only give me these 2 options?

Spoiler

d6ZnBrA.jpg

I thought I would be a really insensitive prick if I said "about the girl behind you" so I said "global warming" even though I think that's just as terrible, but apparently even that was the wrong answer.

After some more awkward choices she says she had fun and then leaves me standing there.

I spent the next couple of minutes picking up squirrels despite not knowing what to do with them, but they're cute so who cares.

My AP goes down to zero, but I have no idea how to regain it because I've already eaten my crepe that I bought with all my money. There's tons of places that are locked and I have no idea how to unlock them either and there's only one other girl to talk to so I'm left with nothing to do in the game.

I tried the game you can play on a date but that wasn't particularly fun since the pieces were all jumbled in up and on top of one another so I have to spend time pulling them aside and assembling them again, but that initial process always makes me lose too much time to get a decent score.

Eventually I discovered you can sell the squirrels for money although I don't know where you sell them, but I felt really bad for them since they're cute and decided I'd rather not either way, so I'm now stuck in the game forever since I can't buy gifts.

Okay that last bit was a joke (except the fact I still don't know where to sell the squirrels), I just figured I'd stop there because I think I've seen enough to give some feedback.

Here's my suggestions to improve initial impressions and overall experience.

• You should probably have some form of menu music.
  • Add an in-game menu that lets you quit to the title and save. I didn't know how to leave the game without closing the app and I thought if I did that I'd lose all my progress.
  • As I mentioned earlier, a hintbox that pops up when you click stuff or some form of early tutorial would REALLY help because I was stuck for a while not knowing what to do. 
  • I don't know if it's randomized but you could really do with having the girls closer to you when you start isntead of literally the furthest area possible from you.
  • Also please tell me you didn't use royalty free ukulele music for the BGM of the game. It doesn't matter what else you use, just not royalty free ukulele music. Please.
  • A run button or some form of faster transportation would be really helpful considering you intend on having a big map with different areas to travel to.
  • It's nice that you can choose to be male or female, but could be even better if there was some form of character costumization.
  • Improve the dialogue/choices to make the girls sound more like humans because it felt really silly when I talked to one for the first time 
  • Game kinda lagged whenever I switched areas, you might want to try and smooth that out. It might just be my tablet though.

Overall, BlewMyMoneyOnCrepesAndSpentMyTimeCatchingSquirrels/10.

I think you have a solid foundation to build on here, don't get me wrong, but my initial experience wasn't particularly positive because the game feels so empty and the characters are rather lifeless.

Edit:

Eventually I found out where you can sell the squirrels and unlock the rest of the map, you need to actually buy the master key.

Now I'm not going to sit here and lecture you on micro transactions, but I think locking so much of the game away behind a pay wall is kind of a poor decision because my earlier experience is already negative which makes me not want to spend 1€ to unlock the rest of the game.

If you can improve the earlier experience though I think I'd be fine with paying for it since it can turn out to be fun if you polish it.

11 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Played the game for a while, here's my feedback/suggestions:

Thanks for your comments - this was the most detailed feedback on the game I got thus far. I agree there are a lot of things to be improved. Character customization, quick access to different areas, an alternative way to earn money are already on my list of things to do. I try to update the game at least once in two weeks, and hopefully at least some of things you mentioned will be implemented.

2 hours ago, Laika Karou said:

tWzP1xm.jpg

In version 1.5 of the game all the character artwork was redone from a scratch with significantly higher quality. I spent a lot of time on these new designs so hopefully people who played the game will like this update.
Download link is the same.

They look miles better, great job :sachi:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2016 at 11:15 PM, Laika Karou said:

tWzP1xm.jpg

In version 1.5 of the game all the character artwork was redone from a scratch with significantly higher quality. I spent a lot of time on these new designs so hopefully people who played the game will like this update.
Download link is the same.

Nicely done, it looks so much better...seems like progress is coming along nicely on the updates :sachi:

A new mini game is added in version 1.5.4 - the pocky game. To play the game:
1. Buy a pack of pocky (sold in cafe);
2. Ask out a girl;
3. Go to either of the two cafes and click on the pocky icon.
Your intimacy with the girl should be above 50 to play the pocky game. If you win you'll get a big intimacy bonus and a kiss. If you lose your intimacy will decrease.

Kk8lftL.png?1

Spent a whole night today updating (again) the character artwork, but would like to hear some feedback before putting these in the game. I made the girls a bit more slim, changed face shape, skin color, and a few minor things. Do you think she looks better now? Also, what about skin color - didn't it turn out too dark?

1 hour ago, Laika Karou said:

Kk8lftL.png?1

Spent a whole night today updating (again) the character artwork, but would like to hear some feedback before putting these in the game. I made the girls a bit more slim, changed face shape, skin color, and a few minor things. Do you think she looks better now? Also, what about skin color - didn't it turn out too dark?

Yeah, it looks better

The skin tone suits the character more, and the physique is better too

Good work

FNitRjM.png

In version 1.6 during dates instead of still images the girls are now drawn with polygonal graphics and a new animation system. Now they can breath, move, and interact with you in real time. All the character artwork is updated. Please watch the video in the first post to see all the new features in action!

Because you seem to be updating the game regularly and I've been replaying the game every time you update it, I'll just go ahead and buy the master key in hopes of in the future you making it ven better. :)

PS: 99% of the reason I'm doing this is because the girls now can have squirrels on their heads.

PSS: finny enough I still have not finished a whole 10 days playthrough.

4 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Because you seem to be updating the game regularly and I've been replaying the game every time you update it, I'll just go ahead and buy the master key in hopes of in the future you making it ven better. :)

PS: 99% of the reason I'm doing this is because the girls now can have squirrels on their heads.

PSS: finny enough I still have not finished a whole 10 days playthrough.

Thank you! My future plans for this game are quite ambitious and a lot more updates are underway.

• 3 weeks later...

u2NEA2U.png?1

In version 1.6.6 there is one new location added - school. This area will be expanded in future updates, for now there is only the front part, with one new dating spot.

In other news, Shoujo City got its own spin-off sniper shooting game with the same characters. It's completely free, so if somebody here liked the original game, maybe they will want to give it a try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.laikastudio.animesniper

30 minutes ago, Laika Karou said:

u2NEA2U.png?1

In version 1.6.6 there is one new location added - school. This area will be expanded in future updates, for now there is only the front part, with one new dating spot.

In other news, Shoujo City got its own spin-off sniper shooting game with the same characters. It's completely free, so if somebody here liked the original game, maybe they will want to give it a try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.laikastudio.shoujosniper

A very intruiging idea and hilarious at the same time

Downloaded

Like the moving sprites, it breathes life in the characters. Way too many choices man, I don't think I could keep up, but I guess that's real life dating for ya. :miyako:

Doesn't look like something I would usually play, but willing to give it a chance, soon as I get an android that is!!

Well I guess I'll be go... wait a minute you play as a girl, does that mean this is a yuri romance.:michiru:

Glisb76.png

A lot of updates this week! Here is a list of all the cool new features (versions 1.6.7 - 1.6.10):

* Ice-cream vending machines and four types of ice-cream;
* Recycle bins are installed near all the vending machines;
* A new accessory system - now you can give any cosplay items to a girl before a date;
* All the gift items now can be given without going to the dating stage (only one item per day is counted for intimacy boost);
* Animal mascots and cosplay items now have separate slots and thus can be combined;
* At the beginning of each game you'll have a free cola and cat ears for cosplay in your inventory;
* The school area is expanded with two new locations and one new dating spot near the swimming pool;
* An additional quick access point (the school);
* While dating near the swimming pool, the girls will wear their school swimsuits.