Jast USA Bundle 2

tahu157

I skimmed the front page here to see if someone had made this thread already but I didn't see it. Apologies if this thread has already been made.

Anyway, Groupees is running another VN bundle from Jast USA - https://groupees.com/jast2. At the moment there are only a few hundred thousand (I swapped the remaining bundles and the bundles sold numbers in my head when I wrote this) bundle sales left. Games included are:

$10

- Do you like Horny Bunnies?

- Snow Sakura

- Snow Drop

$20

- Princess Waltz

- Pretty Soldier Wars A.D. 2048

-Yin-Yang! X-Change Alternative

$30

- Steins;Gate

The only VN I really care about here is Steins;Gate, but I figure it's worthwhile to get the others as well. Especially since Steins;Gate is $30 on it's own.

Snow Sakura is pretty decent. I found it more entertaining than I expected, but I sort of got bored of it after the first route. 

Princess Waltz is really bad. The fights take way too long to resolve and the protagonist is just an idiot. I dropped it before finishing it once.

Steins;Gate is my favorite VN released in English. Easily worth $30 on its own.

The rest is just filler garbage.

edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Princess Waltz is incompatible with Windows 8 and 10, so fair warning on that one.

Quite cheap if you ask me, US$ 30 for 7 Original copy (Right?) while new game we need at least the same price for one copy. Either way, like I stated before I had another way to get it, so not much interested. Instead, maybe I'll give some insight about those games based on tier, and I'll explain the reason below. Oh the tier after very good may be outdated though. For Yin Yang, I think it's got quite interesting premise when MC turned into girl, other than that not much other than nukige.

Very Good

1. Steins Gate

Steins Gate - No need to explain. 2nd best VN at VNDB (For now, although some people may said overated), get many favorable critic on Metacritic and Kotaku. Need I explain more?

Good

1. Princess Waltz
  2. Snow Sakura

Princess Waltz - I'd said good because this is one of 2 worthwhile title from the bundle (Has anyone tried Snow Drop by the way? Is it good or bad?) Some people accuse this game copied Fate/Stay Night, but I think the transformation scene from normal girl to the princess was quite interesting (Well, I'd watch PreCure okay). And this game also had the gameplay and famous eroge seiyuu voicing heroine (Shizuka Itou (Christiane Freidrich from Majikoi, Kousaka Tamaki from To Heart 2) voicing your step big sister, Taguchi Hiroko (Suou Amane from Grisaia, Kagami Sumika from Muv Luv) voicing this character, and Yuko Gotou (Fuyou Kaede from Shuffle, Mayuzumi Yukie from Majikoi), voicing this (According to description she was princess of the earth). The gameplay was involving card, which you must collected bigger number to win. If you ask me is this game quite good, then my answer would be yes (At least back at 2008 compared with many nukige that JAST released). Although I'd said Princess Waltz was good, but if you really into VN with card gaming, I recommended Soukoku no Arterial (Even though it's machine translated), simply because in Princess Waltz there wasn't much chance to test your skill, while in Soukoku sometimes you deal with monster encounter using card battle. Oh, this is the first Pulltop game translated before infamous censoring Konosora case.

Snow Sakura - Also quite good back at 2007, when JAST releases many nukige. Although obviously compared to right now it was not quite good. I think Snow Sakura was a moege if we call it now. For the cast, we got Taguchi Hiroko again and also Akane Tomonaga (Kazami Kazuki from Grisaia, Kawakami Kazuko aka Wanko from Majikoi), and Shion Miyabi voiced Daidouji Tomoyo (From Card Captor Sakura) alike. Also Satou Rina (Ushiromiya Ange from Umineko) voiced the main heroine, Souya Misaki which if we want to compared to recent translated moege, she like Chisato from Koichoco. The graphich to be honest was quite standar, but I remember the OP song was resembling Yuiko from Little Busters them imo. Oh for the story it goes like our MC was told by his father to live with his uncle at Hokkaide for a while, and from there he will had date with 1 of 5 heroine iirc. Once again for now it was very standard, but back at 2007 compared to many nukige release, of course the people will thinking this game is very good.

Very Bad

1. Pretty Soldier Wars AD 2048
  2. Do You Like Horny Bunnies

Both of those are very bad. I tried Horny Bunnies, and to be frank the graphic was quite standard and the girls sprite was not very good. As for my experience, tried playing it and dropped it after few second, although some of you may find this game good though. For PSW 2048, apparently JAST tried to release H-SRPG but from the review I'd read it's kind of unbalanced since it was supposed to be 1993 released (Although if you ask me the remake graphic was quite good). The problem was there is none of the standard feature from SRPG like item, equipment, skill, etc. Also the girls were same statistically (Could anyone confirm this for me?). As for PSW, right now it was 3rd lowest in VNDB.

I think that's all I could comment from JAST bundle, although I couldn't comment about Yin Yang and Snow Drop for now.

26 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

For PSW 2048, apparently JAST tried to release H-SRPG but from the review I'd read it's kind of unbalanced since it was supposed to be 1993 released (Although if you ask me the remake graphic was quite good). The problem was there is none of the standard feature from SRPG like item, equipment, skill, etc. Also the girls were same statistically (Could anyone confirm this for me?). As for PSW, right now it was 3rd lowest in VNDB.

If I recall correctly, the girls were a bit different from each other. They had a different move or shooting radius. The gameplay is highly lacking though.

But people shouldn't play this game expecting a modern SRPG, really. The original was a PC98 game and the remake didn't change anything. Like Raidy it's so old school that it's objectively just bad. It's charming if you are an oldfag and you like unbalanced old school games though (like me). However, most people aren't and that's why the bad ratings.