VNDB Tips n' Tricks

Eclipsed

meh they are doing some "cleaning" on vndb (I still can't understand why), and getting rid of everything that is not a "vn"... I don't agree with their criteria used to disqualify  or qualify if something is or not a vn but oh well. I will leave you +like to compensate my random rant :P 

also does anyone knows what the hell means the "Releases" column O.o

54 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

meh they are doing some "cleaning" on vndb (I still can't understand why), and getting rid of everything that is not a "vn"... I don't agree with their criteria used to disqualify  or qualify if something is or not a vn but oh well. I will leave you +like to compensate my random rant :P

Anything recognizable got an axe?

54 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

also does anyone knows what the hell means the "Releases" column O.o

Is this answering your question? :P

12 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

They've recently incorporated this feature so I figured it'd be useful to share if you didn't catch it.

You can use the "Release Filter" instead of, or in conjunction with, the "Visual novel filter" when browsing visual novels to more accurately look for translations. The visual novel filter will only give you visual novels that have a language listed (it could be complete, partial or TBA) but the release filter lets you specify if you want a completed translation or not, it also lets you specify if you want only English licensed VNs or translation patches.

rf2YcoT.png

20 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Anything recognizable got an axe?

Is this answering your question? :P

you can check this thread to see everything that is being erased https://vndb.org/t7442 (gadget trial for example D': :P

and no it doesn't sadly :P that's a way to search vns but it's not related to what I asked, look into your vn list and in the right side you will see another "update" system, which late you put things like "on loan" "pending" etc etc, which i still don't really know how to use properly xD

rant continues: they are basically destroying vndb because they are bored and don't know what to do with their time :amane:

44 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

you can check this thread to see everything that is being erased https://vndb.org/t7442 (gadget trial for example D': :P

Don't just moan about it here. Just post in this thread and tell them that you're against it.

At this point in time I am still the only one who voiced an opinion against removing Gadget Trial. No one else did. It's obvious that they don't listen to just one guy because they assume that everybody who isn't saying anything is in favor of deleting it.

2 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:

Don't just moan about it here. Just post in this thread and tell them that you're against it.

At this point in time I am still the only one who voiced an opinion against removing Gadget Trial. No one else did. It's obvious that they don't listen to just one guy because they assume that everybody who isn't saying anything is in favor of deleting it.

every time I posted something or edited something, which I still believe it was correct, on vndb I got a really bad backlash or my post edited/deleted, I don't want to waste my time with them,  it won't matter what I said by the end... they will do what they want to do

edit: I don't want to sound like an ass but the fact is they are doing what they want, they deleted the games entries and it wasnt up for discussion whether if it was ok or not if you agree or not they already did it and that's it that.

edit*: funny i remembered my first post there, which now seems a bit silly but oh well I was new at the time, I was treated like shit, that's why I love fuwa, this community is one of the friendlies I've ever been.

10 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Eyy how's your site goin' maefy-chan :ren:

Going pretty well thanks for asking. But because it's not done, that no one from fuwa works on it, that fuwa isn't the main target audience and that it's probably not going to be very popular there's little chance that you'll hear from it.

But if I need a poll guy, i'll make sure to ask you.

• Eclipsed pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a question.

How does popualarity ranking works? I though that VN which has biggest amout of votes is '100%' and therefore every VN has a percentage of amout accomodated by biggest title.
If VN no. 1 have 5000 votes, than VN with 2500 votes will have '50' points in popularity ranking.
But vnstat.net showed me that the VN with most votes is Katawa Shoujo, ranked 4th on VNDB, with 6950, while 'the most popular' Fate/Stay has only 6930.
So how does it work?

26 minutes ago, ShinRaikdou said:

Is there a way to filter random button ? For example exclude nukige.

Also is that possible to add covers into lists, like css styles in MAL? (or is there alternative site/program for that ?)

yes, go to search>visual novel filters>Tags>Tags to exclude and writer there the tags you don't want to include.

https://vndb.org/v/all?q=&fil=tag_exc-214&rfil= as long as the tag exist you can either exclude it or include it on your search.

You can't add covers to the lists as far as I know i wish they was an option for that

On EGS you can do something similar by hovering your mouse on the titles and see the tittle covers, sadly it's all in japanese and a bit complex to use if you dont know the language but here is an example:

http://erogamescape.dyndns.org/~ap2/ero/toukei_kaiseki/kensaku.php?category=game&word_category=name&word=narcissu&mode=normal

for tags:

http://erogamescape.dyndns.org/~ap2/ero/toukei_kaiseki/povlist.php?pov_id=42 

Be careful using the tags on EGS because it will spoil you the games, it doesnt seem to filter the tags like vndb

On 13/2/2016 at 7:50 PM, Scorp said:

Is there any tag on vndb to filter for something like survival on deserted island (like in Robinson Crusoe or Castaway)? So not just "Trapped" tag.

nope there isnt, maybe you can create one...(most of the time they will erase your new tag..)

On 2/3/2016 at 9:57 PM, Vorathiel said:

I have a question.

How does popualarity ranking works? I though that VN which has biggest amout of votes is '100%' and therefore every VN has a percentage of amout accomodated by biggest title.
If VN no. 1 have 5000 votes, than VN with 2500 votes will have '50' points in popularity ranking.
But vnstat.net showed me that the VN with most votes is Katawa Shoujo, ranked 4th on VNDB, with 6950, while 'the most popular' Fate/Stay has only 6930.
So how does it work?

it seems it's based on the numbers of votes and the general score too.

On 2.3.2016 at 1:57 AM, Vorathiel said:

How does popularity ranking works?

You can take a look at VNDB's source code here, and the part for calculating the popularity score would be as follows:

-- recalculate vn.c_popularity
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION update_vnpopularity() RETURNS void AS $$
BEGIN
  -- the following queries only update rows with popularity > 0, so make sure to reset all rows first
  UPDATE vn SET c_popularity = NULL;
  CREATE OR REPLACE TEMP VIEW tmp_pop1 (uid, vid, rank) AS
      SELECT v.uid, v.vid, count(*)::real ^ 0.36788
        FROM votes v
        JOIN votes v2 ON v.uid = v2.uid AND v2.vote < v.vote
        JOIN users u ON u.id = v.uid AND NOT ign_votes
    GROUP BY v.vid, v.uid;
  CREATE OR REPLACE TEMP VIEW tmp_pop2 (vid, win) AS
    SELECT vid, sum(rank) FROM tmp_pop1 GROUP BY vid;
  UPDATE vn SET c_popularity = s1.win/(SELECT MAX(win) FROM tmp_pop2) FROM tmp_pop2 s1 WHERE s1.vid = vn.id;
  RETURN;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

I don't speak SQL so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but it seems it's just counting all votes a VN got + counting for every user who voted on that particular VN how many VNs he voted lower than that VN. In the end there's also a bit weighting by taking the power of 0.36788 and normalising by dividing by the score of the 'most popular' VN.
So the popularity ranking just says something along the lines of "How many people voted on that VN?" and "How much did the people, who voted on it, like it compared to the other VNs they voted on?". The score is a bit biased towards users with lots of votes, and people with few votes (or e.g. only 10s) don't make much impact but it's still a rough estimate of how popular a title on VNDB presumably is.

On 04.03.2016 at 3:15 AM, Deep Blue said:

On EGS you can do something similar by hovering your mouse on the titles and see the tittle covers, sadly it's all in japanese and a bit complex to use if you dont know the language but here is an example:

Found this

Script that showing covers by hovering.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/5212-vndb-cover-preview/code

But you need to edit installed script and add 

// @include https://vndb.org/"your user ID"*

So it now work with lists.

Not perfect , but better than it was.

5 hours ago, ShinRaikdou said:

Found this

Script that showing covers by hovering.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/5212-vndb-cover-preview/code

But you need to edit installed script and add 

// @include https://vndb.org/"your user ID"*

So it now work with lists.

Not perfect , but better than it was.

is not working for me :( 

30 minutes ago, ShinRaikdou said:

Which browser did you use ?

Using Firefox with Greasemonkey ,  and it works just fine.

And there other alternatives https://greasyfork.org/en/help/installing-user-scripts

I'm using chrome which in theory should work it's working for memrise and my custom template, I will try on firefox 

EDIT: on firefox works fine, seems like it's a chrome issue :( (I don't use firefox really but oh well)

EDIT2: is working now, I re-installed tempermonkey and that fixed it wohoooo

• Emi unpinned this topic