Grisaia no Kajitsu Review

Amano Sora

Yohoho~ Its been so long since I last posted something on Fuwa (other than the occasional technical help which I rarely need...). I've decided to be more active on the forums (as active as I can, anyway) but so much has changed lol. During my absence, I didn't really stop reading VN but I guess i got too lazy to write about what I read.

Anyway, this is my first VN review in a looooong time. I'll put the summaries and w/e else under the spoilers tag. I don't really know how to match the text with the background so I apologize in advance for any spoilers v.v And... here goes...

When I first started playing Grisaia, I didn’t really know what I was getting myself into. All I knew was that there were five girls who had traumatizing pasts and Yuuji, the protagonist, helps heal them.

When I read the summary on VNDB, I was honestly very excited because my mind started thinking up all sorts of mental trauma and how the protagonist would help them cope with it. But when I started playing I was somewhat disappointed but at the same time, what I did find exceeded my expectations.

The way Grisaia started off was, put bluntly, boring. If that was my first VN, I’m sure I would have stopped reading after ten minutes. The whole first scene is about Yuuji getting caught by the cops because he’s ‘suspicious’ which was boring. The way it was all portrayed was kind of bland until Yuuji got to the sweat box. That’s where it got really good. Yuuji’s insight and narration blew me away so many times. I learned more words from Grisaia than I did from any other VN.

When Yuuji finally made it to his new school and met all the residents in the dorm, I didn’t find them odd in the slightest. It kind of made me wonder what kind of problems they all had. Sachi’s and Yumiko’s problems seemed kind of obvious as I got more into the story, but the other three remained a mystery to me until I got on their routes.

Yuuji’s school life was…different from other VN protagonist’s. It was lacking the usual vigor that is present in other VN (like LB, Clannad, KoiChoco). Yuuji was an unusual protagonist in my opinion since he went to great lengths to greet all his classmates. His first meeting with Yumiko was quite interesting. It was also a great chance for Yuuji to show off his abilities. The CG during that moment is one of my favourites.

The common route was both good and bad. Most of it was both funny and interesting but all the times that it was neither of those, it was… boring. There were a lot of moments when I lost the will to read the VN and whenever that happened, I’d save my game and listen to the openings for the different Grisaia games and anime. I felt those openings gave me the most motivation to continue reading when I had none. So in a way, my main motivation for reading was because of the openings and the thought ‘It will get better soon.’ And it did get better. But went back down a while later. Grisaia was a really tough read in that respect.

After having played Grisaia once, I would recommend playing through the routes in this order: Amane –> Sachi –> Michiru –> Makina –> Yumiko.

I didn’t really play in that order but if I were to give this to a friend, that’s the order that I would recommend.

Amane:

The first route I went on was Amane’s, simply because I couldn’t really ignore her previous confessions and it seemed that Yuuji had grown quite fond of her, so I clicked the choice that would lead to her route. There were quite a lot of H-scenes in her route, most of them driven by Amane alone.

Spoiler

I think the most redeeming aspect in Amane’s route was the flashback to the cause of her problem. But I wouldn’t have cared much for that flashback if it wasn’t for Kazami Kazuki, Yuuji’s sister, who became friends with Amane after the accident. I feel that Kazuki carried the whole flashback. Her level of genius really blew me way. From beginning to end. And really, I don’t feel that Amane’s wound was that serious. Close to the ending of that flashback, everyone started going insane and turned to cannibalism, which later made them gravely ill. Kazuki saw through all that and she refrained from eating that ‘animal’ meat and told Amane to do so as well. By that point, everyone was beyond salvation and after realizing that, they both made a run for it. Kazuki had figured out a way to escape with little to no landmarks. Genius, I say, though at the same time kind of unbelievable, but that’s what I like about it.

During their escape, Amane tripped and fell (this happens to a lot of characters in a lot of movies. Clichéd.) Kazuki offered herself as a distraction so Amane could escape, saying that she wouldn’t die but it was later described that the pursuers took Kazuki down. After having seen her friend fall at the hands of cannibals, she ran, following the map Kazuki drew which led her to salvation. Ever since then, her life was harsh and rumors of Amane being a cannibal began to spread.

Now this is where it got really good. Investigations were done and bodies of people were found, all cut up in pieces. And there was one body that didn’t have a head. They wrote that off as Kazuki’s corpse. I didn’t really believe that she had died… maybe it was more that I didn’t want her to die because she was, without a doubt, my favourite character. After Yuuji, of course.

The way Yuuji freed Amane from her pain was… predictable. I mean, she wanted to be punished for her ‘sins’ so giving her salvation through ‘punishment’ was really the best answer. What surprised me most was the fact that Yuuji was able to keep his cool after finding out the truth behind his sister and Amane’s actions. And despite what Amane saw, he still believed that Kazuki was alive and said that whole investigation seemed kind of fishy.

In the bad end, Yuuji and Amane go to the site of the accident but are jumped by an angry father seeking revenge on Amane for his daughter. They split up after escaping from him (Yuuji couldn’t fight him because he had a rifle). Amane then headed to a certain place Kazuki specified in the map to find a note and… a weapon. The note was a request for Amane to take care of her little brother, Yuuji, and a thank you to Amane for being her friend during the time of crisis. Kazuki’s ‘last’ words were gentle and warm. I think this was the part where I cried a little bit… (Kazuki really was my favourite character.)

Amane then proceeded to help Yuuji fight his pursuer but died while trying. Personally, I didn’t care too much about Amane’s death because I didn’t like her much as a character to begin with. It was Yuuji that I felt most sorry for. Despite his terrible condition, he was able to bring the guy with the rifle down.

The good end on the other hand, they don’t split up and challenge the other guy together, which proved to be a better plan. After getting through that crisis, they got married and time skipped quite fast. It followed them all the way to Yuuji dying of old age before Amane. I think they should have ended the route at the marriage and left the part of them getting old and dying alone. It became less fun that way.

I’d give Amane’s route an 8/10. Most of that rating is being carried by Kazuki. Aside from all the negative aspects of this route, it really is a good start to learning more about Yuuji and his family because in other routes, it becomes easier to catch the references he makes about them.

Michiru:

Michiru’s route was the second one I completed, simply because there were other routes I wanted to play, so I used them as motivation to complete Michiru. I didn’t really like her much from the start. She was funny and her comedy routine with Yuuji was hilarious but aside from that, I didn’t feel that she had any role in the story. I really like the random sound effects she makes at random times though.

Spoiler

When Yuuji met the other Michiru, I was confused at first but then understood the reason why she was in Mihama. Yuuji, of course, had no idea what was going on at that time, so he couldn’t come up with a concrete explanation either. The other Michiru really irritated me at times when she would ask Yuuji about things then counter his argument and so on. Her high and mighty persona didn’t sit well with me.

Every time Michiru traded places with her other half, she became scared and locked herself in her room. The main reason why she wanted to be a tsundere was so she could be strong because in her past, everyone she got close to ended up dying. She made friends with a cat who got into an accident and was near death when he was found by Yuuji and Michiru. They tried to take him to a vet but he died along the way, depressing Michiru even further.

Michiru had always been an idiot. So much so that even the best tutors couldn’t teach her. Her parents gave up on educating her and wanted her to live a happy life but even that didn’t seem possible anymore.

Michiru received a heart transplant and her condition improved but that heart had a mind of its own. The person Michiru got her heart from was able to take control of her body and do things the real Michiru never could. At school, Michiru was always alone and was quite suicidal. She met a girl on the rooftop who was going to commit suicide. After preventing the girl from dying, they became friends.

Apparently that girl was alone too. And there were rumors about her going around the school that she was with an older man. Honestly, I want to know why that girl ended up with a man like that. From what she told Michiru, he left his wife to screw with a middle school girl. Seems like a pedophile and rapist to me, really. But despite her circumstances Michiru wanted to be her friend. Fun days continued until the girl took a long absence from school. And when Michiru met her again on the school rooftop, the girl committed suicide. Why? Because the man she was with didn’t love her anymore. The guy probably got tired of her and went after other girls. I really wish there was a chapter from her perspective. I want to know what kind of guy he was.

Michiru went into depression after losing her friend. This one time, she tried committing suicide herself but was sent to the hospital right away and was saved. She was put into Mihama for that reason.

Throughout the whole route Michiru became more and more suicidal. In the bad end, she goes to the hospital under the pretext of getting her condition treated. She came back with her mind totally destroyed. I don’t know what she did there but… her eyes had lost the luster they usually had and Michiru could no longer speak properly. I don’t even think she could recognize anyone other than Yuuji. She kept recalling her dead cat at times as well. And the bad end finished there.

At some point in the route, Yuuji buried Michiru alive after he drugged her because she wanted to die. He put her body in a tight box and asked the dorm members to say their final goodbyes. They were all quite touching. Yumiko’s especially. I honestly cried a little at that part.

After being buried in her favourite place, Michiru’s thoughts began to conflict. She wanted to die, but she was afraid. Michiru always talked about death like it was a simple thing, but through that, she learned that it wasn’t. Her will to live was rekindled. She stayed in that box for about three days before breaking free to find Yuuji sitting next to the hole. He hadn’t eaten anything since he buried Michiru and had stayed in place the entire time. I thought was pretty cool.

Michiru then tried to embrace her other half and was taken to the USA to see her heart donor’s mother. It was a touching scene and a great way to start the end of the route. In the epilogue, Michiru and her other half can switch control of the body at will and it appears that they both have a crush on Yuuji now. This was kind of an unexpected development but a good way to end it all. This was the good end, totally different from the bad end.

The rating I give this route is 7/10. Mainly because I thought the drama was way over the top. I also kind of hated Michiru’s other half since she talked back to Yuuji so much and was a bitch about the smallest of things. Michiru also cried a lot as well, which was alright for the most part. But what I disliked the most was the fact that Michiru was suicidal… way too much. Every other day, she would attempt to kill herself. In her childhood, in Mihama, hospital… etc. I lost interest a lot of times. Why? Because if someone’s lost the will to live then it’s probably not worth saving them. They’ll probably end up in the same spot again. But!! If you can rekindle their will to live, that is the best way to save someone. Yuuji did just that to help Michiru. Now the H scenes… they were pretty cute. Which is the reason why the rating is what it is.

Also, this route has nothing to do with Yuuji’s past.

Yumiko:

Yumiko’s route was the third one I completed. And I have to say, it is my most favourite of the five. The way the story naturally flows in Yumiko’s favor makes this route almost seem like a true end. Yumiko wasn’t on good terms with her father to begin with, and I thought she was really interesting/cute/beautiful/etc. from the start, so I was really anticipating this route.

Spoiler

It all started with her dad wanting to bring her home but Yumiko despised that man so even time didn’t change her opinion. The plan her dad devised was for her to be put in dangerous situations, so she would seek protection from him. He talked about it with Ichigaya and the plan was put into action.

The bodyguard hired to shield her from the bad things to come was Yuuji. Every day, Yumiko went out to a certain place to explore her artistic side accompanied by Yuuji. One day, there came a time when the sky got cloudy and it stayed raining while Yumiko was out. Seeking shelter, Yumiko and Yuuji hid under a bridge to protect themselves from the rain but they could still hear the sound of thunder, which was a bigger problem for Yumiko. The CG displayed in this scene is another favourite of mine.

Yumiko is afraid of thunder, which is a common fear in anime, VN, manga, etc. for girls but for Yumiko, it was a little more than that. She shared her past with Yuuji, which I think was a great way to get into it. The transition into the flashback was smooth and didn’t feel like it was suddenly thrown at your face at all.

Ever since she was a kid, Yumiko was… shunned. Why? For not being a male. Her dad wanted a son who could take over his company but that obviously didn’t happen. He started treating Yumiko and her mom like shit. Kinda pissed me off but… that’s just the way it was. Yumiko’s mom was put in a hospital near her parents’ town and without her around, Yumiko was mocked even by her grandparents. Time went by and her mother never really recovered.

Time went by and Yumiko met a reporter who was investigating her father. He showed her an article that had leaked information about her dad having an illegitimate child with another woman. By now, her mom’s condition was getting better and she was starting to accept Yumiko the way she was. But once Yumiko’s mom found out, she completely broke.

Yumiko confronted her mom on top of the rooftop of the hospital but… her mother didn’t remember her at all. Yumiko became mentally unstable at this point. Once again, because of her dad, everything fell apart. That day, it was raining heavily with loud thunder, which explains her fear of thunder later on.

The rest of the flashback felt like an extremely long epilogue. I would have preferred for it to end at the rooftop scene because it had a huge impact on me.

When she ended up with her dad once again, I was kind of suspicious of him at first but right when I thought that he’s straightened himself out, the truth was revealed. His illegitimate child died, so he went back to Yumiko.

The flashback ends and Yuuji and Yumiko return to the dorm.

Later on, Yumiko was asked to come along with a group of men who worked for her dad and thinking it was best for everyone, she left willingly. When Yuuji found out, he chased after their car on bike, when bike wasn’t enough, he ‘borrowed’ a sports car and chased after their helicopter. He then destroyed their plane’s engine by throwing a frozen turkey in it (lol).

The two began their life as fugitives soon after and became a couple at some point. The transition was really awkward and amusing, has to be my favourite advancement in the whole VN.

At some point, Yumiko started feeling that she was holding Yuuji back and attempted to contact Michiaki and give herself up, which was understandable. All she did was stay at home all day and read books while Yuuji went out to work and did other chores. When she tried to do simple chores like cooking, cleaning, etc., she messed up pretty bad. I’d probably feel depressed as well if I was in her situation.

The call gave Michiaki clues to their whereabouts and they both ran away and took the train to an amusement park of all places. The amusement park event had adorable scenes with Yumiko and the end of it was… touching. She shared her honest feelings with Yuuji, who then decided it was time to make a decision.

In the bad end, they continued to run away and had a child along the way as they worked labour jobs. But something was missing. Yumiko wasn’t truly happy.

Michiaki’s last words to Julia kind of… left an impression on Yuuji and me as well. I felt kind of bad for him to be honest and didn’t know if I still hated him like I did before.

Yumiko seemed melancholic after the time skip. Yuuji then decided that it was time to try and make up with her dad. This whole ending seemed incomplete to me, so I was glad that this was the bad end.

In the good end though, the two return to Mihama and received help to throw Michiaki off this CEO chair. And they succeeded and a few time skips later, Yumiko ended up making up with her dad.

By the end, Yuuji now had a cute little daughter. Honestly, he looked so damn cool in the CG displayed at the time.

I gave this route a 9/10. Best rating in the whole VN, mainly because of Yuuji’s profound narration about ‘time’ towards the end. The whole route was very touching and I really liked how their classmates from Mihama helped them out. They even stayed in touch after graduating!! In this route nothing particular is mentioned about Yuuji’s past like in Amane’s but it makes up for that by having lots of CGs with Yuuji’s face in them.

Sachi:

I wasn’t really looking forward to Sachi’s route since she didn’t really seem like my type. In the opening, I find her really cute but in the VN, not so much.

Anyway, not much happened in Sachi’s route, but I wasn’t expecting any action scenes from her route to begin with. It was all like one long emotional rollercoaster. The route followed the typical pattern all the other routes followed.

Honestly, I don’t really have much to say for this one. When a friend told me that Sachi knew Yuuji since childhood, I got pretty excited about it. But I guess I was expecting too much. I was under the impression that Sachi went there every day or something while it was just a misunderstanding on both Sachi’s and Yuuji’s ends. Sachi had gone missing for a while and eventually, Yuuji figured out where she might be, and he was right. Sachi was waiting for him at the playground, starving, and wet from rain. I found this scene quite touching since Yuuji realized that Sachi was his childhood friend.

Spoiler

After Sachi passed out at the park, Yuuji started looking into Sachi’s past. She had a very happy and loving family but eventually, they became very busy with work and weren’t able to give Sachi much attention. After meeting Yuuji at the park because of that, the two ended up playing together every day. Yuuji was so different back then, completely different from the current Yuuji. The exact opposite in fact.

Both Yuuji and Sachi were going through some hard times back then and they were able to support each other and get through most of it. Most of Yuuji’s problems were because of his dad who said mean things to him. His sister was the only person who defended him and gave him love but when she disappeared, their whole family fell apart.

The day before Sachi’s birthday, she invited Yuuji to celebrate with her and tried to force a promise on him which he couldn’t keep. She never saw him again after that day.

And on the day of her birthday, her parents took time off work to spend the whole day with her and were showering her with kindness. She felt disgusted by that and ran out of the house in a fit of rage and went to the park to wait for Yuuji. Half the day had passed and the sun was now setting and upon seeing her, her parents ran in her direction but were hit by a truck. Her dad died on the spot but her mom was put in a coma. Her last words to Sachi were what gave Sachi that trauma.

In order to atone for her sin, she decided to be an obedient, good girl like her parents always wanted. She had started to disregard her own feelings and all common sense and set fire to a school upon someone’s request. She came to Mihama after this event.

Once again, Sachi was asked a similar request by Michiru and when the time came to put her plan to action, she wasn’t able to. Yuuji stopped her then had her help with a plan of his own. Sachi was the one who pressed the detonator which caused the school to blow up. It was then that Sachi realized what she had been missing. I thought that this was a great way to help Sachi realize what she had been missing the whole time. Way better than giving her ambiguous questions and having her think up some kind of answers for them.

After that big event, Sachi had somewhat recovered but continued to have nightmares. Yuuji told her of a way she could free herself from the past but, she would have to find her own answer.

Upon Yuuji’s request Sachi went to see her mother and was able to enter her room after much difficulty. There, she realized what she had to do.

In the bad end, she decided she should kill her mother but was unable to do so and when heading back to Mihama, she met Yuuji along the way. While she was cheerfully running up to him, she was hit by a car, just like how her parents were. The last words Sachi spoke to Yuuji were the same as her mother’s. This left Yuuji with regrets. Especially since many other women he had been close to all died. This really felt like a bad end.

In the good end though, Sachi realized she needed to kill herself but was unsure how to do that. On the way back home she met Yuuji who then took Sachi to her old home and entered her parent’s workplace. Now, I was really excited to find out what was in here. I mean, the place was abandoned for a long time and according to both Sachi’s uncle and Yuuji, all the answers to their questions likely lied in there. But what was actually in that dusty room was beyond even my expectations. It was a collage of pictures Sachi’s family took of her and her accomplishments, beautifully placed on the wall with all sorts of commentary revealing their truest feelings underneath.

On a table near the collage was a letter in a faded envelope. Her parents had written that letter as an apology to her and to tell her how much they loved her. And likely, her parents loved Sachi until their dying breath.

I gave this route a 9/10 despite the starting being quite slow. The rating is probably being carried by the ending, but I don’t really care. The bottom line is, I liked this route and loved the ending. The CG of Sachi when she’s laying on Amane’s bed has to be my favourite from the whole route. I didn’t really pay much attention to the H scenes in this route but the H has nothing to do with the main story anyway.

The pattern that I noticed the route followed was that in the beginning, it is kind of bland and boring but then all of a sudden, it gets highly emotional and it feels a lot has been thrown at you all at once. This pattern was quite effective on me (lol).

As for Yuuji, this route is a great way to learn what his childhood was like and is a fitting sequel to Amane’s past in terms of Yuuji and Kazuki being the main subject of the flashback.

Makina:

Makina… I haven’t played her route yet. I got to it but after they make out on the second or third day, I stopped playing. Since February was fast approaching, I decided to play KoiChoco since that seems to be a suitable VN for Valentines. I kinda missed the opportunity to play Xmas related VN, so I wasn’t gonna pass this one up!

Anyway, I’ll probably play Makina after I finish KoiChoco and make a review for it. And I probably won’t make a review for Makina’s route.

I'm still puzzled how people consider the common route of Grisaia "boring", I mean I would much rather read the common route of Grisaia over entire mediocre VNs like Da Capo and Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa o Hirogete. There are also many other highly rated VNs with incredibly boring 1st acts, such as the MuvLuv Trilogy and Rewrite. However, I still feel that the common route of Grisaia gets harped on much more.  

1 minute ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I'm still puzzled how people consider the common route of Grisaia "boring", I mean I would much rather read the common route of Grisaia over entire mediocre VNs like Da Capo and Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa o Hirogete. There are also many other highly rated VNs with incredibly boring 1st acts, such as the MuvLuv Trilogy and Rewrite. However, I still feel that the common route of Grisaia gets harped on much more.  

as someone who found the common route boring because it was too long. it doesnt get picked on as boring all the time, the minority that thinks its too long does ):

1 minute ago, Kawasumi said:

as someone who found the common route boring because it was too long. it doesnt get picked on as boring all the time, the minority that thinks its too long does ):

Well I suppose I'm a person who would much rather watch a good comedy anime, that is several hundred episodes long, instead of a mindblowing one-cour action adventure anime. So it probably just comes down to me being a bizarre son of a bitch. 

1 minute ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well I suppose I'm a person who would much rather watch a good comedy, anime that is several hundred episodes long, as apposed to a mindblowing one-cour action adventure anime. So it probably just comes down to me being a bizarre son of a bitch. 

not really lol, I feel wierd because I didnt find the common route to be too long 

2 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I find the Da Capo ones boring too. Tho sometimes its fine... I was actually readin Da Capo befre Grisaia. Got tired of Da Capo went back to Grisaia. And i liked Rewrite common route quite alot. Tho im sure thats all cuza the comedy.

5 minutes ago, Amano Sora said:

I find the Da Capo ones boring too. Tho sometimes its fine... I was actually readin Da Capo befre Grisaia. Got tired of Da Capo went back to Grisaia. And i liked Rewrite common route quite alot. Tho im sure thats all cuza the comedy.

See I found the comedy in Grisaia stronger and the chemistry between the characters much more entertaining, but than again comedy is one of the most subjective things ever. I still maintain that D-fragments is the funniest anime of all time, but very few people agree with me on that. 

If you find Da Capo to be boring as hell go ahead and drop it, although latter on it does get kinda fucking terrifying (in a bad way). Although I would recommend that you still give Da Capo 2 a shot, it still isn't anything fantastic, but it did manage to hold my attention and the latter routes didn't make me shit my pants in metaphysical horror. 

I prefer the common route of Grisaia more than most of the heroine routes, actually. Yuugi and the girls are much more interesting when they all interact with each other in the common route than when Yuugi has finally picked a sex buddy.. They could have stopped the common route and never had a heroine route and it would have been pretty damned awesome.

10 minutes ago, Orcka said:

You should of given it a 0/10 cause there is not route for the principle. 

4758-256673014.jpg

GG, NO WAIFU NO LIFU!!!!!

PrinciPAL, my friend. Remember, the person in charge of the school is your pal. Like how she should have been Yuugi's sex pal...

2 hours ago, Valmore said:

Beat you by two minutes and got in the agreement that she should have been an h-route.

Know why?

Because I'm John Ce...

No, not going there.

2 hours ago, Orcka said:

You should of given it a 0/10 cause there is not route for the principal. 

Spoiler

4758-256673014.jpg

:illya:

Spoiler

Meikyuu / Rakuen my friends. It will blow your minds

10 hours ago, CeruleanGamer said:

It's alright not to like Da Capo especially when there's a cancerous organism known as Nemu exists there.

Ha... Yea... her route was the hardest to getthrough but i liked the end lol. I havent played Da Capo IF yet but.. i just kno im not gonna like Nemu _ _ Shes not tht bad as a sister but as a route... idek.

10 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

See I found the comedy in Grisaia stronger and the chemistry between the characters much more entertaining, but than again comedy is one of the most subjective things ever. I still maintain that D-fragments is the funniest anime of all time, but very few people agree with me on that. 

If you find Da Capo to be boring as hell go ahead and drop it, although latter on it does get kinda fucking terrifying (in a bad way). Although I would recommend that you still give Da Capo 2 a shot, it still isn't anything fantastic, but it did manage to hold my attention and the latter routes didn't make me shit my pants in metaphysical horror. 

Lol I didnt hate Da Capo THAT much XD I really liked some of the routes. Nemu and Sakura were my least favourite. Kotori is my fav. I played thru her fan Disk and imma play DC IF Soon... real soon. And imma play DCII ofc! I started DC so i cud one day play DCIII!!!

10 hours ago, Orcka said:

You should of given it a 0/10 cause there is not route for the principal. 

4758-256673014.jpg

LOL Yea i wish there was a Principal route... And a Kazuki route!! ;o;

Anyway, Ill FInish Makina later on before played the other Grisaia games (which im really lookin forward to).