Duel Savior Direct Draw related issue

DarkZedge

Well the thing is like this...i got Duel Savior and did the english patch for it and all as instructed but when i ran the .exe (eng one) i came across this :

YD7Fttb.jpg

So i'd be really happy if anyone knew and could tell me if and how this can be solved...All my locale is set correctly and also Unicode app locale and fonts (supplementary aswell)
, haven't had any issue running other vn's so i was rather stranged by this...tried running it in compatibility mode and even administrator but nothing changed

Thanks for the help as always...:sachi:

32 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

Well the thing is like this...i got Duel Savior and did the english patch for it and all as instructed but when i ran the .exe (eng one) i came across this :

YD7Fttb.jpg

So i'd be really happy if anyone knew and could tell me if and how this can be solved...All my locale is set correctly and also Unicode app locale and fonts (supplementary aswell)
, haven't had any issue running other vn's so i was rather stranged by this...tried running it in compatibility mode and even administrator but nothing changed

Thanks for the help as always...:sachi:

you have to run it on windows xp OS or windows xp virtual box, direct draw has always had issues especially since windows 8.1 with directX. alternatives would be using wine i guess, although not sure on how to use it myself. ex below

pj3ZzZMhttp://imgur.com/pj3ZzZM

Edited by spademan
edit: added screen shot

51 minutes ago, spademan said:

you have to run it on windows xp OS or windows xp virtual box, direct draw has always had issues especially since windows 8.1 with directX. alternatives would be using wine i guess, although not sure on how to use it myself. ex below

Could you link me to where i can get xp virtual box or a tutorial since i've never had to do this method? also thanks for the tip and the info,i really appreciate it

Download a virtualbox (oracle should be fine?) https://www.virtualbox.org/

Get your hands into a windows XP ISO. 

Run the virtual box. 

Go through the little tutorial that will be there, select winXP, oracle will install it into the virtual box.

Profit, I guess.

Oh, Duel Savior also ran on Win7, so you could try that.

37 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

Could you link me to where i can get xp virtual box or a tutorial since i've never had to do this method? also thanks for the tip and the info,i really appreciate it

dont know any links to tuts but il type a quick one for ya.

1. go here for oracle vm(free): https://www.virtualbox.org/

2. go here for virtual box (again free) https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windows/

i picked ie6 on xp, dont think it matters if you choose ie8 or not.

3. download them and install oracle vm

4. launch oracle vm, from there click on new, name your new machine, click on microsoft windows and then click on windows XP.

5. next, choose how much RAM your oracle vm will have, i did about 300 so i do not lagg. Next click on use an existing virtual hard disk file, and if it isnt already selected navigate to the one we downloaded earlier, it should all look like this : http://imgur.com/omZCCH4 if its good, then go ahead and create your vm.

6. next click on and start it up, should get xp logo so all good, if you don't and it says something about windows failing to start properly just go to "last known good configuration"

7. now we are on desk top screen, this is where it gets somewhat hard but follow instructions and you are fine. 

8. First step go to devices ON TOP of the virtual box scren>shared folder settings>click on the folder with a green + sign on the right. then click folder path and go to other, and navigate to where duel savior or anything else you already have on your comp you want to run with your vm. click on auto mount, and click on make permanent.

9.after thats done go to start>computer>virtualbox guest additions>run through the installer, when windows gives you a warning sign during the install just hit yes or okay. reboot your vm.

10.  go back to my computer, and at the bottom it will say network drives and it will open the folder you have linked, from there just run duel savior and all good to go.

notes: you can also redownload duel savior  to your vm but that takes up space and time, so no need. also if need help with anything not clear just pm or reply i will add more screen shot if need and srry for bad typing or grammar but i just rush this. also i would recommend running this as admin before you play the game. also no idea for windows 7, haven't heard anything bad about it so if you want to use that give it a go, instructions should still be same

1 hour ago, Kaguya said:

Download a virtualbox (oracle should be fine?) https://www.virtualbox.org/

Get your hands into a windows XP ISO. 

Run the virtual box. 

Go through the little tutorial that will be there, select winXP, oracle will install it into the virtual box.

Profit, I guess.

Oh, Duel Savior also ran on Win7, so you could try that.

That'd be better since i believe i still have an old win 7 ISO laying around but i don't have a win xp one

1 hour ago, spademan said:

dont know any links to tuts but il type a quick one for ya.

1. go here for oracle vm(free): https://www.virtualbox.org/

2. go here for virtual box (again free) https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windows/

i picked ie6 on xp, dont think it matters if you choose ie8 or not.

3. download them and install oracle vm

4. launch oracle vm, from there click on new, name your new machine, click on microsoft windows and then click on windows XP.

5. next, choose how much RAM your oracle vm will have, i did about 300 so i do not lagg. Next click on use an existing virtual hard disk file, and if it isnt already selected navigate to the one we downloaded earlier, it should all look like this : http://imgur.com/omZCCH4 if its good, then go ahead and create your vm.

6. next click on and start it up, should get xp logo so all good, if you don't and it says something about windows failing to start properly just go to "last known good configuration"

7. now we are on desk top screen, this is where it gets somewhat hard but follow instructions and you are fine. 

8. First step go to devices ON TOP of the virtual box scren>shared folder settings>click on the folder with a green + sign on the right. then click folder path and go to other, and navigate to where duel savior or anything else you already have on your comp you want to run with your vm. click on auto mount, and click on make permanent.

9.after thats done go to start>computer>virtualbox guest additions>run through the installer, when windows gives you a warning sign during the install just hit yes or okay. reboot your vm.

10.  go back to my computer, and at the bottom it will say network drives and it will open the folder you have linked, from there just run duel savior and all good to go.

notes: you can also redownload duel savior  to your vm but that takes up space and time, so no need. also if need help with anything not clear just pm or reply i will add more screen shot if need and srry for bad typing or grammar but i just rush this. also i would recommend running this as admin before you play the game. also no idea for windows 7, haven't heard anything bad about it so if you want to use that give it a go, instructions should still be same

Thank you for the great step by step..i'll be trying that out and edit once i do :sachi:

Sort of late to this discussion, but the game can run on Win 8 or 10 with a bit of prodding. No virtual machine required at all.

Here is a modded exe that uses Wine's DirectDraw code : http://www.mediafire.com/download/9x4z0uwx2bz2gd4/ds_wineddraw.7z

I've actually been playing with it for the past week, so this seemed like a decent time to put this out here.

2 hours ago, DarkZedge said:

Q84PTvF.jpg

Well this happened...i downloaded both the oracle box and the xp ie6 as instructed but after installing i tried running it and this is the error i got...any ideas?

hmm, did not have this error at all so do not know where went wrong, seems like techinical issue. If you still want oracle vm, i checked internet for you for solutions so i would try these:

After the critical error ->go to the c:\users\your username, look for " .virtualbox" and ".virtualbox.sav" and delete the both files in the location.

After that go to the virtual box icon and start with compatibility mode (Vista SP2).Finally this process worked for me.

if they do not work i would also try to uninstall oracle vm, and then reinstall but MAKE SURE you run the installer as ADMIN. 

if none of these work not big deal, vmware workshop is also free virtual machine for download and install, and i can help with that.

Personally, if you only are looking to play duel savior, i would just try @Binaryfail solution because setup with wine is alot easier however, if you are planning to play alot of older vns then you will probably need virtual machine in the future because you will run into similar issues or playback issues

1 hour ago, binaryfail said:

Sort of late to this discussion, but the game can run on Win 8 or 10 with a bit of prodding. No virtual machine required at all.

Here is a modded exe that uses Wine's DirectDraw code : http://www.mediafire.com/download/9x4z0uwx2bz2gd4/ds_wineddraw.7z

I've actually been playing with it for the past week, so this seemed like a decent time to put this out here.

yes i said this game could run windows 8/10 if used with wine. either way, nice post, had no idea about this

3 hours ago, binaryfail said:

I've downloaded the modded files and placed them in the installation folder as instructed and now all it does when i execute the .exe (modded one) is open up the screen as if the game was gonna start running, stays black a couple of seconds and then closes without prompting any errors or anything..simply closes..maybe i did something wrong? (though i don't think so, it wasn't complicated at all)

The game's OP video is the first thing you'll see when the game starts up. Are there any codecs that you have installed on your system?

Besides codecs, what about the english patch itself? Is the file size of your Update.pac around 500 MB? If it's not, make sure you obtain that one. I tried using a different Update.pac file, and the game behaves in the same manner that you described... black window for a few seconds followed by a crash/exit.

3 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Maybe you will post also source for that DuelSaviourMod.exe? 

The exe is based on the one provided with the fan-translation patch, with some of my own asm hacks added in.

If you're able to diff the exe file, you'll find that the modifications are fairly trivial. They're mostly API related.

2 minutes ago, binaryfail said:

The exe is based on the one provided with the fan-translation patch, with some of my own asm hacks added in.

If you're able to diff the exe file, you'll find that the modifications are fairly trivial. They're mostly API related.

Ah, okay then. I thought it was something like file loader of original exe and after that patch the API calls on the fly.

2 hours ago, binaryfail said:

The game's OP video is the first thing you'll see when the game starts up. Are there any codecs that you have installed on your system?

Besides codecs, what about the english patch itself? Is the file size of your Update.pac around 500 MB? If it's not, make sure you obtain that one. I tried using a different Update.pac file, and the game behaves in the same manner that you described... black window for a few seconds followed by a crash/exit.

XKma2A3.jpg

That's all the files with their respective sizes...as for the codecs i don't think i've installed any extra ones but that's because i never ran into any issues with any games or vn's or movies that required me to do so, also i don't even get the intro movie..just a black screen then closes and goes right back to the desktop..my update.pac is 500 ish mb as you can see in the screenshot

That was a real pain in the ass setting everything up... Have Win 8.1, tried everything, didn't work, then installed VBox... Had to download newest XP Black Edition, installed it, then had to mount img, set up shared folders to copy eng patches etc. I still can't get fullscreen to work. When I select windowed it gives me 640x480. When I select fullscreen it switches my VBox resolution to 640x480 anyway. Any fix for that?

This window is pretty damn small:

GUTpYRW.png

Resizing etc. gives white screen.

Actually as always you have to change your original display resolution :| Problem "solved"

On 2/10/2016 at 9:55 AM, Maxel said:

That was a real pain in the ass setting everything up... Have Win 8.1, tried everything, didn't work, then installed VBox... Had to download newest XP Black Edition, installed it, then had to mount img, set up shared folders to copy eng patches etc. I still can't get fullscreen to work. When I select windowed it gives me 640x480. When I select fullscreen it switches my VBox resolution to 640x480 anyway. Any fix for that?

This window is pretty damn small:

GUTpYRW.png

Resizing etc. gives white screen.

Actually as always you have to change your original display resolution :| Problem "solved"

yeah but my v box won't run as i stated above and the wine fix didn't work either as i also posted

• 4 months later...

DarkZedge

The problem you are having is with the Voice1.pac. The torrent you must have used is broken and requires a replacement to work. 

http://games.seiha.org/duel_savior_files/

Download it from here and replace the one you currently have, and assuming you did everything else correct and are using the modified exe, it should work properly. I know mine does. And, of course, thank you binaryfail for the solution to this problem I have had for a while now. I was so disappointed I could not play this game when I got a new PC that came with W8, and to be able to play it now is just great.