How do I know that an anime is good and trending?

I was wondering about how a new anime released gets trending because a lot of people watching it. To be honest, I am someone who is late to know what is trending and popular, I just follow them(ex: I just watched Love Live in 2015 and after three months, it was announced that they will be having a Final Live!). So I was wondering what makes an anime good and trending? How do I know them and where can I find some anime that are good?

If you want the trending anime, look at their ratings on websites like MAL. Note that doesn't mean they're good, just that they're popular.

Shounen anime don't really trend that much as seinen anime. Sure there's things like One Piece that are always popular, but overall seasons tend to have a seinen demographic as the predominant group.

Yup, just like Nosebleed said, sites like http://myanimelist.net/ is a very good place to get a general overview of whats trending. That being said, this does not mean you are guaranteed to love it.

"Top anime" is good for .. Well, the top anime

"Seasonal anime" is the currently airing ones. You can use filters to search for, lets say the most popular seasonal anime etc.

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

If you want the trending anime, look at their ratings on websites like MAL. Note that doesn't mean they're good, just that they're popular.

Shounen anime don't really trend that much as seinen anime. Sure there's things like One Piece that are always popular, but overall seasons tend to have a seinen demographic as the predominant group.

Depends on what you call seinen, I see way more shonen in the most popular list than I see seinen.

31 minutes ago, maefdomn said:

Depends on what you call seinen, I see way more shonen in the most popular list than I see seinen.

Shounen is anime targeted at younger kids, seinen is anime targeted at young adults (usually 17 to 24-ish year olds)

There's nothing that defines a shounen or seinen anime, they're just demographics, and most seasonal anime are late night anime that air when kids are supposed to be asleep, making them not really directly targeted at younger boys. 

If you're trying to define what a shounen anime is, then I guess we're thinking about different things.

1 hour ago, Rooke said:

What is so good about Gintama? 5 representations in the top 11? Really? 

MAL is the biggest Gintama circlejerk, that's the one thing you should take with a grain of salt.
Nonetheless, Gintama is still a great anime series (and deserves the top spots imo too, but that's another discussion)

31 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Shounen is anime targeted at younger kids, seinen is anime targeted at young adults (usually 17 to 24-ish year olds)

I know that --" , but it also depends of what you think is targeted at younger boys or not.

Compromise, it doesn't matter.

12 hours ago, solidbatman said:

Basically, if it appeals to the lowest and widest common denominator, it will trend. Good is something subjective, so can't comment on that. But typically your shows with fan service, high schools, bright contrasting colors, and maybe some random "feels" are gonna be trending. 

Boku dake ga Inai Machi seems to be pretty trending right now and it doesn't really fit into any of those categories. So I wouldn't say that's all there is to it.

But I also rarely keep up to date with what is popular at the moment so that could just be a lot more unusual then I think.

3 hours ago, MercyZombie said:

Boku dake ga Inai Machi seems to be pretty trending right now and it doesn't really fit into any of those categories. So I wouldn't say that's all there is to it.

But I also rarely keep up to date with what is popular at the moment so that could just be a lot more unusual that I think.

It's unusual, in my experience anyway.

• 2 weeks later...