China

Mephisto

So I just arrived in China this morning, and outside of Hong Kong a shit ton of sites are blocked. Fortunately, although the government hates Japan, it doesn't seem to really care about anime/vns and the like.

So, anyone have some suggestions for bypasses? Or should I just chill with what I can get while I'm here?

m_080803st.jpg

Tor probably won't work: it was blocked in 2008. The Great Firewall of China is the most sophisticated, most sweeping Internet censorship regime in the world. Good luck getting past it.

Because GFW blocks the destination (IP address or domain name) and inspects the channel, the basic strategy for bypassing GFW is to find some proxy nodes and encrypt the traffic. Most circumvention tools combine these two mechanisms, because just using a simple open proxy (HTTP or SOCKS) or an encrypted tunnel (such as HTTPS) does little to circumvent the sophisticated censors.

FreeGate, Ultrasurf, and Psiphon (version 3) are popular in China because they are free and intended for nontechnical users. They depend on a range of proxy servers outside China and encrypt all the HTTP traffic in SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) tunnels to these servers. Although most of this software is not open source, the government can analyze it by reverse engineering and then block all the proxy servers. Thus, the software has to be updated now and then. Because it is not open source, some people worry that some of the software could contain Trojan horses.

Tor, the famous anonymous communication tool, was once used widely in China. The complicated encrypted protocols (also based on SSL) and thousands of proxies make Tor an ideal tool for bypassing the blocking and surveillance of GFW. The centralized directory server by which users get the list of proxy nodes, however, is the fatal defect in terms of anti-censorship. After GFW blocked the IP address of the Tor directory in 2008, Tor lost most of its users in China.

VPN (virtual private network) and SSH (secure shell) are the most powerful and stable tools for bypassing all surveillance technologies, although the basic ideas are the same as with the aforementioned tools: proxies and encrypted channels. The only difference is that VPN and SSH depend on a private host (or virtual host) or an account outside of China, instead of open, free proxies. Only technical professionals are able to set up such hosts or accounts, and most of them are not free. Commercial or public VPN services will be blocked by IP address and/or domain names if they are popular enough. In fact, the domain names *vpn.* are all blocked (such as vpn.com, vpn.net, vpn.org, vpn.info, vpn.me, vpn.us, vpn.co).

Although no perfect solution exists for all users and no single solution is a guarantee, the circumvention tools do cut a hole through the great wall.

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2405036

Well I think the tor still updates for that and changes the addresses all the time. I would try it.

Maybe you cant go to the official site but you can download it on many other places or we can send it to you.

• 1 year later...

Welcome to the land of pandas. If you want to use the internet normally, you have to resort to VPN. I've been living here nearly 4 years for education purpose, so I know the feels really well. Or you can use freegate too for free, but it's getting slower lately. I hope I can graduate soon, living here is starting to take it's toll.