English/Web design expert with lots of free time available!

Saggz

Hello.

I am looking to join one or two translation projects as a translation checker for grammar and spelling. I work from home so I have plenty of free time available. The way I planned on working was each time you finish a route or even if you just send me the patch for every 10% you complete translating and editing, I will have it completely checked before you send me the next update. I will do two passes and I will record any mistakes in spelling or grammar in detail, along with their position in the game, so you need only open the script and make the change. If you keep sending me updates every so often, by the time you get to the end of the project, most of the game would already be checked and edited so you won't have to go back to the beginning and go through the entire game yourself. 

I am new to the visual novel community and would treat any project I join as my own work and I would guarantee my best work. If you are interested in enlisting my services, please send me a message through this website and provide me with the details of the project and if I accept, you will have to provide me with updates. If there is already a partial patch released for the project, I can start there and then get an update when I complete it.

Thank you very much!

Edit: I work from home as a freelance graphic/web designer so I can offer more free time than the average person. I am interested in getting more involved in the visual novel community as a translation checker but I can also offer my services as a professional web designer since I often see people requesting web design or administration, which I can safely call myself an expert in both. Again, please send me a private message on here if you have any questions or have an offer for me. I am also willing to exclusively join a translation team if they are active and want a permanent member for translation checks and/or web design. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Arcadeotic said:

For what title is this exactly?

Sorry if my post was misleading but I am not actually working on any titles as of yet, this post is meant to offer my services to anyone who needs a translator checker. I would be fine with editing as well, but I don't know how to access the actual text inside the patches and I don't know enough Japanese to translate anything. 

I am an expert with the English language so unfortunately, going through visual novels, checking and reporting errors is about as much as I can do. I really want to get more involved in the visual novel community. I have only been playing visual novels for about a year but in that time I've played some very good ones that I enjoyed quite a bit. Honestly, I haven't played a visual novel that I didn't like yet. 

Also, one thing I forgot to mention in my first post is that I am a graphic and web designer. I work from home which is why I have more free time to offer than most people who work on visual novels. I also am very experienced with web administration and Linux so I can setup any type of server for hosting. I would be willing to offer up a website in return for early access to patches, even if you don't need me as a translation checker and only want to enlist my web design skills.

Again, please send me a private message on here if you have any questions for me or would like to offer a position on your team.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

i might need your help in the future but for now; how do you use commas?

i sort of get when to use them but i still dont entirely grasp them.

1) Commas are used as a sort of pause in between words in a sentence and can be used when listing three or more things. If you only have two things in the list, you would use and instead of commas. If you have more than two things, it would sound strange if you kept putting the word and in between every one of them.

Example 1: Three of my favorite visual novels are Grisaia no Kajitsu, Princess Evangile and Muv-Luv.
Example 2: The translation was incorrect, so he went over it again to fix it.

2) Commas are used to separate adjectives in some situations and when the adjectives are interchangeable. One way to determine whether or not to use a comma in this situation is to put the word and in between them and if it still makes sense and sounds right, replace it with a comma because it also reduces the amount of words used since you can replace and with a comma in a lot of situations.

Example 1: She is a smart, beautiful woman. 
Example 2: She is a beautiful, smart woman. 
Example 3: She is a smart and beautiful woman. (The word and could be used as a substitute here and still technically be correct but you can shorten the sentence by replacing it with a comma.)

Those are the two main uses of commas but there are plenty of other situations where you can use them. Most of the time, you can tell just by reading the sentence out loud whether or not using a comma is appropriate. Sometimes commas are used even when they don't have to be and either way would be correct. If you are having trouble with commas, just think that they represent a pause in the sentence and serve to make it sound more appropriate. I've never taught anything before in my life so this is the best explanation I could give you, I hope it helps.

One other way to get a grasp on commas are to pickup an English novel or read something online that has correct grammar and you can use them all as examples.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to add this but one other important use of a comma is when starting and ending a letter. Note that normally the first sentence in the paragraph is indented but when I press tab it takes me out of the editing window, so lets just pretend it is indented.

Example: 

Dear Fuwanovel,

I love your website!

Sincerely,

Saggz

5 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Oh I see, that makes sense.

Sorry to say this, but this post as a whole is kind of obselete.

You could try adding a post here: 

Hello again,

I actually am registered on that thread and I have been for quite a while now but no one has offered me any work. I am thinking that not many people actually look through that thread when recruiting people so I figured my own thread would help me find an offer. I don't mean to bother anyone by adding a separate thread or anything along those lines but I genuinely want to get more involved with the visual novel community. 

2 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

i might need your help in the future but for now; how do you use commas?

i sort of get when to use them but i still dont entirely grasp them.

An easy way to look at commas is to think they link two independent clauses. This definition usually fits most common cases where you'd normally use a comma in.

For conjunctions:

He was about to kick the ball, but then he saw his teammate trip and break his face on the goal post.

(Note you could technically remove the comma in these cases and just leave the conjunction, but in longer sentences commas are usually preferred, and whenever in doubt, you can always use a comma as that's never incorrect).

For introductory elements:

With his stiff rod, the man tried to fish some tunas

For parenthetical elements:

The boy, known on the internet as xXxPu$$ySlayer69xXx, got 360 no scoped in Call of Duty

(They're called parenthetical because they could technically be written in parenthisis: The boy (known on the internet as xXxPu$$ySlayer69xXx) got no scoped in Call of Duty)

For all the cases where you'd use a comma, this page is pretty useful.