Opinions on VN companies' being close minded to the western market

VirginSmasher

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

Sekai Projecy already has enough glaring flaws and MangaGamer doesn't bring over the best stuff from the companies they decide to work with. Honestly, the best option at this point in time is to learn Japanese if you have the time and motivation to. It's not looking amazing with localisations. Sekai Project brought over quite a few big ones, but they're starting to become more and more hated every time they use Kickstarters and JAST is barely releasing anything nowadays.

even though im kinda biased against sekai project you need to understand that the reason why they dont localize the best stuff first is simply because the companies wont let them.

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

Sekai Projecy already has enough glaring flaws and MangaGamer doesn't bring over the best stuff from the companies they decide to work with. Honestly, the best option at this point in time is to learn Japanese if you have the time and motivation to. It's not looking amazing with localisations. Sekai Project brought over quite a few big ones, but they're starting to become more and more hated every time they use Kickstarters and JAST is barely releasing anything nowadays.

The reason to learn Japanese is to play the games you want to play, rather than the games Japanese companies and fan translators feel like giving you.  The business practices of individual English publishers are besides the point.  Even if they suddenly had access to any title they wanted, their total throughput is too low, and they ignore entire genres (e.g., loli, NTR).  There's simply way too many titles to translate and too few resources to do so.

I prefer to choose the games I want to play rather than let others choose for me.  That's the reason I learned Japanese.

23 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

even though im kinda biased against sekai project you need to understand that the reason why they dont localize the best stuff first is simply because the companies wont let them.

I do understand that. I just don't see why they wouldn't try releasing some of their better stuff first.

On 2/2/2016 at 4:40 AM, VirginSmasher said:

The title says it all. What are your guys' opinions on this issue? As we all know, some VN studios are still not willing to release their content in the West, which sucks to see in this day where translating companies are getting bigger and bigger. True, a lot of companies have opened up to this idea. Key is a major one, releasing Harmonia, their next VN release, in a simultaneous release in Japan and the West. This is the type of mindset I'd like to see from more VN companies, not to the extent of what Key are doing, but thinking of the west more. Let's hear your opinions

Well we talked about it last time, you know i agree that Japanese Vn companies refuse to add an extra language to their vn's for some reason be it cost, time, or simply not thinking it appeals enough to the western market to make it worth it...whichever the reason it is quite annoying to see this keep on going, not only old vn's are not getting translated but newer ones also don't get English releases and it's quite aggravating for all of us i think...despite of being able to read Japanese or using things such as chitrans and all to help out, i find it strange that they still haven't added at least English as an extra language to their vn's for they've see it can sell well from Grisaia or Princess Evangile and Nekopara... maybe they'd never sell as well as they do over there locally in japan but it sells well enough for them to try and reach out to the west adding more support with languages.

I'm in the process of learning Japanese as many others are but i'm still not at the level i'd need to be to read untranslated ones, yet there's so much I'd love to read if they were translated...I hope some day they'll realize the potential gain from appealing to an extra language besides their own..they could find a potentially fruitful market in some places

We do have however companies such as JAST / Mangagamer / Sekai Project and others among the most well known that license some big projects and vn's but they often have issues in this department because they need permission from the original owners and companies of the materials in order to even begin to think of starting a translation and such.. and some companies just won't do so or it costs more than it's worth or than the profit they'd obtain on steam or other westernized markets..there's a lot that goes on in the licensing market and it's all about policies, money and such which is quite sad and disappointing but it's how the cookie crumbles and sometimes we need to understand why they don't bring the things we want to see in our markets, the change needs to happen and start over at the offices of the original makers of the vn's themselves to allow their licensed to be used and give permission granted getting their share of royalties and all that stuff to be translated or even used by publishers willing to do so

2 hours ago, Rooke said:

Doesn't pass the sniff test - poor Africa coming up with 400 billion Euros annually is an absurd concept. Sorry. Whoever wrote the article you got that nonsense from did ludicrously bad research.

France holds a great deal of the cash reserves of 14 African nations on their behalf, a sum which comes up to about 20 billion. NOT 400 billion. And for France, that's a pretty puny sum btw. It's also a voluntary arrangement, one which they don't exit from because even though everybody is unsatisfied with the current situation there is a distinct lack of a better option. The CFA gives them ... sort of a link to the Euro which offers stability and investment opportunities for their countries. The link to the Euro which France provides prevents their inflation from going into Zimbabwe-esque territories, for starters.

But the African countries seem as though they want to exit from the agreement (if reports from last year are any indication) and so we may see this practice dissolve over the next few years *shrugs*. I should point out that some nations have already exited the agreement, because it’s voluntary

now that is what western society wants you to believe but only 14 out of the dozens and dozens of countries in Africa pay 400 billion a year to France as a post-colonialism policy for "the benefits of colonization."

africa has the most natural resources in the world. To say they cant come up with 400 billion dollar annually is ignorant. To also say this is a voluntary exchange is just hysterical. 

"He didn’t want his country to continue to be a french dominion, therefore he refused to sign the colonisation continuation pact De Gaule proposed, but agree to pay an annual debt to France for the so called benefits Togo got from french colonization.

It was the only conditions for the French not to destroy the country before leaving. However, the amount estimated by France was so big that the reimbursement of the so called “colonial debt” was close to 40% of the country budget in 1963.

The financial situation of the newly independent Togo was very unstable, so in order to get out the situation, Olympio decided to get out the french colonial money FCFA (the franc for french african colonies), and issue the country own currency."

that is 1 out of the 14 countries still being raped by France.

40% of GDP as a debt... Yeah. Notice all those starving babies in Africa? That is directly because of the french.

Western logic right here. The above is an "AGREEMENT"

Just like in that new kids book where the happy slaves love serving George Washington.

7 minutes ago, Black Sands Entertainment said:

now that is what western society wants you to believe but only 14 out of the dozens and dozens of countries in Africa pay 400 billion a year to France as a post-colonialism policy for "the benefits of colonization."

africa has the most natural resources in the world. To say they cant come up with 400 billion dollar annually is ignorant. To also say this is a voluntary exchange is just hysterical. 

No, it’s a fact. The combined GDP of those 14 countries is approximately 150 billion Euros. So once again, the idea that they pay France 400 billion Euros every year is very far beyond the realms of conceivability. - It isn't just improbable, it's impossible.

The idea that it’s not voluntary ignores the countries who have been able to opt out of the system without repercussion. They were able to do so without sanctions is because it’s a voluntary system.

Your quote lacks context. Also it's in white, so you should probably remove formatting.

5 minutes ago, Rooke said:

No, it’s a fact. The combined GDP of those 14 countries is approximately 150 billion Euros. So once again, the idea that they pay France 400 billion Euros every year is very far beyond the realms of conceivability. - It isn't just improbable, it's impossible.

The idea that it’s not voluntary ignores the countries who have been able to opt out of the system without repercussion. They were able to do so without sanctions is because it’s a voluntary system.

Your quote lacks context. Also it's in white, so you should probably remove formatting.

1 minute ago, Black Sands Entertainment said:

You win this round. I will be damned if i go and search each individual nation and do all the math.

You don't need to, people have done it for you. The countries you are looking for are the ones still using CFA Francs as currency, Nigeria uses its own currency and therefore doesn't apply.

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFA_franc

Wow, lots of negativity on this thread. While a good majority of VNs aren't ever going to come to the states, it's looking good for them at this point with more localizations now than I can recall in regards to VNs. It's not because the west won't except their stories like Black Isle says, JRPGs and Anime do pretty solid and people in other cultures don't necessarily just ignore stories because it's from a different cultures. 

Japanese VN makers haven't delved out of Japan because of previous failures in the industry, the cost of bringing it to the west, and the risk of it, so many don't bother. If there's one thing that's changing with the community however, it's this perspective about being close minded, something we've seen a lot of lately.