Mangagamer's new licensing survey

Down

36 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Depends on what MangaGamer will make out of the final list. Probably the usual: They sort it, order it and then perfectly analyse it - just to accidentally turn it upside down and license the ten most unpopular titles in the list. :amane:

Classic Mangagamer. I hope they can actually get the licensing for Baldr Sky and those other titles we voted.

53 minutes ago, Down said:

Mangagamer doesn't hate money. Considering how much Muv-Luv raked in and how much Baldr Sky is wanted in the west you can bet they already tried. If they don't have it in their line-up it means Giga isn't interested - either in a localization period, or in localizing through Mangagamer.

Same for all the other popular titles tbh.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of faith in MangaGamer's partnerships. It might not be their fault but for whatever reasons they regularly fail to get the better titles from them.

Ask a Lilith fan about what titles they wanted and what they finally got. And the latest title from BaseSon was Harukoi Otome - probably the worst title from their list. And what about Ou Jackson's kamiges Oretsuba and Tsuriotsu from Navel?! Nothing!! Any of the newer highly rated works from Caramel Box like Otoboku 2? Nothing!!! And I was probably the only one who was happy that they picked an (almost 10 year old) non-Rance title from AliceSoft instead of one of the newer Rance titles since I like the artist more and I'm also not a Rance fan. And most Propeller fans would have probably preferred Asairo or Evolimit over at least Pygmalion. They wanted to go back to old partners last year and we got... Kuroinu from Liquid *gasp*.

The sole exception seems to be Innocent Grey where we really get the best titles. Not sure if that continues though.

Yeah, I know they always have a good excuse like license cost, voice costs, their partner didn't want to give them the title they wanted and so on it goes. But people can say about Sekai Project what they want, but at least they can make impossible deals HAPPEN: Clannad, Grisaia, G-Senjou no Maou, Chrono Clock - the 'newest' title from Purple Software not 'ten years old', the YuzuSoft deal, Root Double, etc. They might go a bit overboard with their Kickstarters, but at least they MAKE a Kickstarter if they need the money for a high quality title. MangaGamer just pick the next best doujin title instead.

For a title like Baldr Sky I would definitely put my money on Sekai Project, not on MangaGamer.

16 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of faith in MangaGamer's partnerships. It might not be their fault but for whatever reasons they regularly fail to get the better titles from them.

Ask a Lilith fan about what titles they wanted and what they finally got. And the latest title from BaseSon was Harukoi Otome - probably the worst title from their list. And what about Ou Jackson's kamiges Oretsuba and Tsuriotsu from Navel?! Nothing!! Any of the newer highly rated works from Caramel Box like Otoboku 2? Nothing!!! And I was probably the only one who was happy that they picked an (almost 10 year old) non-Rance title from AliceSoft instead of one of the newer Rance titles since I like the artist more and I'm also not a Rance fan. And most Propeller fans would have probably preferred Asairo or Evolimit over at least Pygmalion. They wanted to go back to old partners last year and we got... Kuroinu from Liquid *gasp*.

The sole exception seems to be Innocent Grey where we really get the best titles. Not sure if that continues though.

Yeah, I know they always have a good excuse like license cost, voice costs, their partner didn't want to give them the title they wanted and so on it goes. But people can say about Sekai Project what they want, but at least they can make impossible deals HAPPEN: Clannad, Grisaia, G-Senjou no Maou, Chrono Clock - the 'newest' title from Purple Software not 'ten years old', the YuzuSoft deal, Root Double, etc. They might go a bit overboard with their Kickstarters, but at least they MAKE a Kickstarter if they need the money for a high quality title. MangaGamer just pick the next best doujin title instead.

For a title like Baldr Sky I would definitely put my money on Sekai Project, not on MangaGamer.

We all know what Sekai Project would do with Baldr Sky. I still have problems with Sekai Project over the Root Double KS and I think MangaGamer is the best company when it comes to translating VNs and bringing them to the west, but after hearing that, I can't trust either with awesome VNs that don't have the attention like Clannad did. Hopefully MangaGamer can actually pick up these titles because I'd like to see them over here.

19 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Let me "not" disappoint you Baldr is 18+ :vinty: R.I.P SP (Sorry, I just had to xD)

Knowing them they would cut all the H-content and probably release the game on Steam which wouldnt be bad(I would even play badly cut version of Baldr with font issues and missing text o_O)

But we probably wouldn't get 18+ patch or uncut release (Oh G-Senjou, where are thou?)

22 minutes ago, Maxel said:

Let me "not" disappoint you Baldr is 18+ :vinty: R.I.P SP (Sorry, I just had to xD)

Knowing them they would cut all the H-content and probably release the game on Steam which wouldnt be bad(I would even play badly cut version of Baldr with font issues and missing text o_O)

But we probably wouldn't get 18+ patch or uncut release (Oh G-Senjou, where are thou?)

G Senjou No Maou not having an 18+ release is all SP's fault though. MangaGamer is good with releasing full 18+ versions of VNs even if they are on Steam.

15 minutes ago, BookwormOtaku said:

Here's what I asked for:

1) Kyonyuu Fantasy series (I'm probably the only one here who had a nukige on the list and as #1 8))

2) Dies Irae (hey, last year's speculations got my interest...and I'm curious if anyone can actually translate it)

3) Evolimit (because we need more Propeller)

It'd be awesome if the Kyonyuu Fantasy series got picked up. Then I'd stop pestering @Arcadeotic to translate Kyonyuu Fantasy.

8 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Fan demand may not be as strong on some of these titles as you may think. Koihime Musou wasn't a particularly large success. MangaGamer has maintained that Shin Koihime Musou would cost way too much to localize internally. There's a fan translation group currently working on SKM and MG has said that they're open to officially releasing that translation if it's any good, but they probably can't turn a profit if they do that game normally. At least, they believe they wouldn't. 

Also, keep in mind that MangaGamer is only one part of the equation here. The original developers and publishers of the Japanese games have a larger say in the matter than MG in a lot of cases. That's why MG is releasing Beat Blades Haruka this month instead of Rance, that came from AliceSoft who did not want to license out Rance, a very important property to them, as their first venture into the western market. I can only speculate, but I imagine Propeller wants the Steam money, so that's why Pygmalion and Tokyo Babel were licensed instead of Evolimit. These decisions aren't made randomly. It's very likely that Evolimit simply wouldn't make as much money as those two. 

Regarding Oretsuba, MangaGamer has already commented on this. Like SKM, it's too long, and it also has a higher skill requirement for translation if they want to do a decent job. This is another title MG has claimed would not be profitable to translate in the current environment. Well, they said that a year or two ago, so maybe things have changed since then, but they aren't pulling our leg on this. This is what they truly believe, and they're probably right. Regarding Tsuriotsu, I don't know if anyone at MG has ever commented on that directly, but my understanding is that it's a title they actually do want to work on but there's stupid business nonsense holding it back.

With regards to Otoboku it's a sequel, and sequels rarely perform well, especially when the predecessor was pretty much panned and bombed. Otoboku 2 is by all accounts a FAR better VN, but it's also a very big risk because of the first one being shit. 

It's very important to have the correct perspective on these things. MG wields a lot less power and influence than you think they do and they can only do so much.

edit: Also, same with SP. But SP probably pushes the all-ages/Steam angle a lot more aggressively and ropes in everyone who wants to cash in on the Steam market that way. Also I like how you mention positively stuff like g-senjou no maou, which is an easy, already translated title instead of something new because Akabei Soft won't let SP pick a newer title yet, and Purple Software/Chrono Clock which is identical to the Propeller situation (nobody wants that game over Hapymaher), and also they got one of Yuzusoft's least-liked titles from seven years ago because it's the one that can go on Steam. SP is hardly pulling in the fan-favorites or making nothing but power moves like you make them out to be. They've made a few good moves, but so has MangaGamer IMO. You conveniently left out how MG just recently released a title in the renowned Liarsoft Steampunk series, or are going to release one of the most popular doujin titles ever soon with Himawari.

I just put a bunch of Liar-soft titles there, I don't really want anything else. I'll have to hope Gahkthun sold enough for Mangagamer to translate rest of the Steampunk games and more. 

Besides lately Mangagamer has been working with and putting out all kinds of interesting and varied VNs, so I'm more than happy leave the localization decisions to people how know what they are doing and what's actually good in Japanese.

4 hours ago, Decay said:

Fan demand may not be as strong on some of these titles as you may think. Koihime Musou wasn't a particularly large success. MangaGamer has maintained that Shin Koihime Musou would cost way too much to localize internally. There's a fan translation group currently working on SKM and MG has said that they're open to officially releasing that translation if it's any good, but they probably can't turn a profit if they do that game normally. At least, they believe they wouldn't. 

Also, keep in mind that MangaGamer is only one part of the equation here. The original developers and publishers of the Japanese games have a larger say in the matter than MG in a lot of cases. That's why MG is releasing Beat Blades Haruka this month instead of Rance, that came from AliceSoft who did not want to license out Rance, a very important property to them, as their first venture into the western market. I can only speculate, but I imagine Propeller wants the Steam money, so that's why Pygmalion and Tokyo Babel were licensed instead of Evolimit. These decisions aren't made randomly. It's very likely that Evolimit simply wouldn't make as much money as those two. 

Regarding Oretsuba, MangaGamer has already commented on this. Like SKM, it's too long, and it also has a higher skill requirement for translation if they want to do a decent job. This is another title MG has claimed would not be profitable to translate in the current environment. Well, they said that a year or two ago, so maybe things have changed since then, but they aren't pulling our leg on this. This is what they truly believe, and they're probably right. Regarding Tsuriotsu, I don't know if anyone at MG has ever commented on that directly, but my understanding is that it's a title they actually do want to work on but there's stupid business nonsense holding it back.

With regards to Otoboku it's a sequel, and sequels rarely perform well, especially when the predecessor was pretty much panned and bombed. Otoboku 2 is by all accounts a FAR better VN, but it's also a very big risk because of the first one being shit. 

It's very important to have the correct perspective on these things. MG wields a lot less power and influence than you think they do and they can only do so much.

edit: Also, same SP. But SP probably pushes the all-ages/Steam angle a lot more aggressively and ropes in everyone who wants to cash in on the Steam market that way. Also I like how you mention positively stuff like g-senjou no maou, which is an easy, already translated title instead of something new because Akabei Soft won't let SP pick a newer title yet, and Purple Software/Chrono Clock which is identical to the Propeller situation (nobody wants that game over Hapymaher), and also they got one of Yuzusoft's least-liked titles from seven years ago because it's the one that can go on Steam. SP is hardly pulling in the fan-favorites or making nothing but power moves like you make them out to be. They've made a few good moves, but so has MangaGamer IMO. You conveniently left out how MG just recently released a title in the renowned Liarsoft Steampunk series, or are going to release one of the most popular doujin titles ever soon with Himawari.

I'm aware of all the cost problems. That's the whole point of what I'm saying. Through Kickstarter you can get 'high spending' customers who can compensate for a 'lack of' customers. Do you know how much many people were willing to spend for MuvLuv on Kickstarter?! And that's why we can get expensive titles through Sekai Project but not via MangaGamer. Since MangaGamer would never try a Kickstarter if they can't finance a title through normal means. Instead they just pick the next best doujin. And my experiences with douijin are... less than stellar to say the least.

Yeah, I know Himawari is supposed be such that that super great lolige - too bad I'm not into that. A cast consisting of a bunch of little kids simply doesn't interest me. And since when is LiarSoft a popular company in Japan? They are absolutely niche - ever had a look on their sales numbers? They never even made it into the yearly top 50 of Getchu. And considering how bad Shikkoku no Sharnoth was, I'm not surprised about it.

Certainly, MangaGamer also brought a lot of good stuff over the years and it will take some time for Sekai Project to get even. I'm one of MG's biggest supporters after all. But Sekai Project simply makes more out of their possibilities, that's all I'm saying. They are still pretty new after all so comparing their whole program with the one from MangaGamer isn't exactly fair.

3 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Instead they just pick the next best doujin.

Yeah, I know Himawari is supposed be such that that super great lolige - too bad I'm not into that. A cast consisting of a bunch of little kids simply doesn't interest me.

Ahaha

I don't think you have any clue what you're talking about. Sekai Project releases like 5 times as many doujin games as MG does. And I'm pretty sure Himawari isn't a 'lolige' by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe you shouldn't try to stick labels on games you know next to nothing about? 

*sigh* when do people quit looking at rankings, popular opinions & whatthefuck else superficially reason there is to hinder them from wishing for something to be licensed/ published they truly desire reading out of their own volution and not just because community-elder A said its been an awesome experience to him, but for something to appeal to ones own character/ personality/ interest. did we really become that hollow, always hating on anything mainstreamity-like, despite beeing tainted to our very core by cattle mentality? :/

edit: yeah liar/rail soft is crap, anything thats non top50 is crap. lets burn their offices to the ground and proclaim those titles of theirs, which failed appealing to everybody, shalt be threated as entartete kunst and therefore buried in the deepest part of a dungeon, forbidden from ever beeing mentioned again, so whats known as an intellectually superior race of readers will be free of living in angst of those crappy excuses for entertainment getting possibly published. ail hail literary genocide - sieg heil gestapo of arts!

edit2: suggested 3 gorgeous doujinshi to them, including a fucking huge shitton of reasons for them doing so. now hate me - try kill me - i make sure fapping to the anger, or outright disgust of yours XD

Man there are allot of people who dream big in that license suggestion category. Well, here is my list.... which I think is a bit more realistic than the majority of what you guys put out there :sachi:.

- Imouto Paradise 2

- Rance VI

-Papa Love ~Papa to Icha Ero Shitai Musume-tachi to Hitotsu Yane no Shita de~

25 minutes ago, XReaper said:

*sigh* when do people quit looking at rankings, popular opinions & whatthefuck else superficially reason there is to hinder them from wishing for something to be licensed/ published they truly desire reading out of their own volution and not just because community-elder A said its been an awesome experience to him, but for something to appeal to ones own character/ personality/ interest. did we really become that hollow, always hating on anything mainstreamity-like, despite beeing tainted to our very core by cattle mentality? :/

edit: yeah liar/rail soft is crap, anything thats non top50 is crap. lets burn their offices to the ground and proclaim those titles of theirs, which failed appealing to everybody, shalt be threated as entartete kunst and therefore buried in the deepest part of a dungeon, forbidden from ever beeing mentioned again, so whats known as an intellectually superior race of readers will be free of living in angst of those crappy excuses for entertainment getting possibly published. ail hail literary genocide - sieg heil gestapo of arts!

Bunch of bandwagon jumpers, all of them! Or maybe just fanboys. Whatever you call them nowadays. Muahahahaha! ^_^ 

I'll be different for the sake of being different..... well not really, but I love these games when I played them in Japanese, so they should be localize! Plus I love gameplay and NTR genres! :P

1: Oyako Rankan - We need more NTR titles now!!!

2: Sengoku Hime series - lol fat chance... good luck Mangagamer

3: Shin Koihime Musou - Derp, more SRPG VNs...

10 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

And then they'll put it on Steam and censor the shit out of it. Muahahahaha hahaha

To be honest, I'd love to see if a nukige ever ends up on Steam censored to hell and it's only 2 hours long :illya:

This game:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/378790/

Me and Sanahtlig are convincing people over at the discussion forums not to buy this because all h-scenes have been removed and the game was actually all about the game over rape scenes and it makes up at least 50-60% of the game! Without it, this game is a merely a shadow of its former self..... heck not even that. It's completely butchered to death and there's absolutely no motivation to play it now. Debonosu was pretty good at the game over rape genre too and I don't know what they are embarrassed about. Such a wasted potential. Oh and no 18+ version is ever coming out according to them... <_<