Best Final Fantasy story? (NO SPOILERS)

Funyarinpa

I'd say Final Fantasy VI, probably because it's the one I grew up with. I'd insist on playing it on an emulator for the SNES experience though. Playing the original version of each FF is the best way to experience them I find, but if you really have to choose a ported version on a modern console/handheld, I'd say maybe give FF7 or FF9 a try first. The classic 2-D ones are best played on their original consoles for sure~

The reason why FF8 is not talked about a lot is because of a particular function of the game that's can be excruciating a times, so I'd say to try that one last.

In order of preference from Squaresoft's classics:

FF6 (FFIII on the SNES, since the ports look compressed and has silly sprites)

FF7 (Ps1, not sure how the ports fare)

FF4 (FFII on the SNES, since the ports look compressed and has silly sprites)

FF9 (Ps1, not sure how the ports fare)

FF5 (SNES, fan-translated, pretty interesting Job system that got influenced by FF3)

FF3 (NES, it's been fan translated quite very well on the famicom, first to use changeable jobs)

I never played FF1 (NES) and FF2 (fan-translated) until the very end so I can't give my opinion on them, much.

I'm pretty sure we had a thread like this in the past but eh whatever. My opinions have changed greatly over time and the final fantasy series as a whole is quite overrated compared to many other great games (some even by Square) but if you want specific Final Fantasy games and only Final Fantasy games then this is the top 11-ish Final Fantasy games.

Runner-Up: Chrono Trigger (easily should be higher on this list but due to not really being a final fantasy game (although it did get bundled with the playstation version of Final Fantasy IV) it simply gets a runner up spot.

Number 11: Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 - Note this should only be played by people who have played all the other games in the series

Number 10: Final Fantasy 7 - it's not a bad game by any means it just wasn't as interesting to me as other games in the franchise.

Number 9: Final Fantasy 8

Number 8: Final Fantasy V

Number 7: Final Fantasy 14

Number 6: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Rift of Grimoire

Number 5: Final Fantasy 10

Number 4: Final Fantasy 4

Number 3: Final Fantasy Tactics - 

Number 2: Final Fantasy 9 -

Number 1: Final Fantasy 6 - 

My list order changes constantly as I remember or replay or compare certain things. Honestly there are a lot of excellent rpgs and the Final Fantasy games are pretty good but don't let the name fool you. Just pick a game that sounds interesting to you. You can always stop playing if you don't really care for it.

• 6 years later...

There's an opinion that whichever one has the first finale is the favorite, like the first sex. Well, 10 was my first - it has a great world and atmosphere and that's what made me want to keep exploring the series. And I read on https://zumroad.com/game that there's a great sequel there. But damn, Tidus is the main character! It's not, just unthinkable, to put a log like that on the rails of the main driving force of the story!!! Not a character, a Clown. More like Zell from the 8th finale. I haven't tried part 12, but of all the others no one was as infuriating as Tidus. And the puzzles in part 10 of just outrageously annoying tedium. After passing it, took off and forgot like a bad dream. Although, perhaps the 15th infuriates more. In fact, there`s nothing did not piss me off in the 10th... Although no. The ball pissed off.

Edited by Johnlake