Poohe

Programer/Coder looking for work [CLOSED]

Hi everyone, I'm a programmer that's currently looking for work. I can code in Unity3D and I can code in Ren'py and I can quickly learn other visual novel creating software if needed. I'd be more than happy to work for anyone who's creating a visual novel and doesn't want to dabble with the programming side of it. I don't mind if it's a paid job or a free job (must be credited if it's free), but preferably a paid job. Let me know if you would like to hire me, it'd be really appreciated and I would work really hard to make the novel a success. Reply to this thread or send me a private message or contact me through my Twitter @Poohechan or my email poohe-chan@hotmail.com . Once we've decided to work together, I'll add you on Skype for ease of communication and we'll sort out details on there.

Thanks a lot for your time and please consider adding me to your visual novel.

I can also provide other services such as proof-checking scripts as I'm a native British with lots of time and I'll be glad to help you with any other small jobs you might want done.

Any questions? Is there something I missed out?

Just ask them on the thread or the contacts I listed above and I'll definitely answer them.

3 hours ago, Poohe said:

I believe C++ is similar to Java and I'm currently studying Java so I wouldn't say I'm familiar with it just yet.

What do you exactly mean by website coding? Do you mean HTML and CSS?

If you can do Java you can do C++, you just need to learn a few C++ specific functions that can make your life easier.

3 hours ago, SajkoWolfe said:

If you can do Java you can do C++, you just need to learn a few C++ specific functions that can make your life easier.

Java is a managed, garbage-collected language running in a VM. C++ is unmanaged, un-garbage-collected, and doesn't run on a VM, thus relying directly on system-specific or C++-specific libraries (e.g., Boost, STL, etc.,) for most things hitting the system. They're both procedural and strongly-typed, I guess, and syntactically similar, but honestly the experience of using Java is probably more similar to that of using a good scripting language with standardized libraries like Python than it is to using C++.

13 hours ago, OriginalRen said:

Hey are you familiar with C++ and website coding?

This is like asking a chef if they're a sushi and pastry chef. I can't help but wonder why you're asking for those two things at the same time, unless... you're making taiyaki?

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Java is a managed, garbage-collected language running in a VM. C++ is unmanaged, un-garbage-collected, and doesn't run on a VM, thus relying directly on system-specific or C++-specific libraries (e.g., Boost, STL, etc.,) for most things hitting the system. They're both procedural and strongly-typed, I guess, and syntactically similar, but honestly the experience of using Java is probably more similar to that of using a good scripting language with standardized libraries like Python than it is to using C++.

This is like asking a chef if they're a sushi and pastry chef. I can't help but wonder why you're asking for those two things at the same time, unless... you're making taiyaki?

I... kinda like sushi. and pastries.  o.o

The Sands could use your skills as an assistant programmer. After funding we can discuss pay but you will get credit regardless for your work. Our current programmer is a student as well so its hard for him to handle crunches.

Plus, we are using Unity3d so your skills are quite useful to us compared to most the programmers in this field.

It would basically be a part time position. You might also know some tricks we are not aware of like how to use internal weather effects in unity.

punch%201080p_20160201_102952_zpsxzhqzlw

On 30.1.2016 at 0:46 AM, Poohe said:

Hi everyone, I'm a programmer that's currently looking for work. I can code in Unity3D and I can code in Ren'py and I can quickly learn other visual novel creating software if needed. I'd be more than happy to work for anyone who's creating a visual novel and doesn't want to dabble with the programming side of it. I don't mind if it's a paid job or a free job (must be credited if it's free), but preferably a paid job. Let me know if you would like to hire me, it'd be really appreciated and I would work really hard to make the novel a success. Reply to this thread or send me a private message or contact me through my Twitter @Poohechan or my email poohe-chan@hotmail.com . Once we've decided to work together, I'll add you on Skype for ease of communication and we'll sort out details on there.

Thanks a lot for your time and please consider adding me to your visual novel.

I can also provide other services such as proof-checking scripts as I'm a native British with lots of time and I'll be glad to help you with any other small jobs you might want done.

Any questions? Is there something I missed out?

Just ask them on the thread or the contacts I listed above and I'll definitely answer them.

You could try to contact MangaGamer. Their main programmer Doddler already gets far too much work from all sides, so some assistance would probably be welcome. He's ported several titles to Unity already, so your knowlegde could prove very useful.

On 05/02/2016 at 11:20 PM, ChaosRaven said:

You could try to contact MangaGamer. Their main programmer Doddler already gets far too much work from all sides, so some assistance would probably be welcome. He's ported several titles to Unity already, so your knowlegde could prove very useful.

I've contacted Doddler and he said to message the MangaGamer website through support and contact. I did that and am just waiting for a response to see if I'm suitable or not for working with you or not. :)

On 31.01.2016 at 8:11 PM, Fred the Barber said:

I kinda could do both PHP and C++, along with C# and some other langs (not on a pro level, as my work field is nowhere near PC). Doddler could do same. Why do you think that this is rare case?

5 hours ago, Scorp said:

I kinda could do both PHP and C++, along with C# and some other langs (not on a pro level, as my work field is nowhere near PC). Doddler could do same. Why do you think that this is rare case?

I didn't say or even imply that the ability to do both was rare (though, at a professional level, I'm pretty sure that combination actually is rare, since both are fairly specialized; at any lesser level, any halfway decent software engineer can learn to use whatever generalist language you want, within reason [e.g., not esoteric languages or overly-domain-specific languages; but certainly general-purpose managed languages like Java or general-purpose scripting languages like Python).

Rather, I said I wondered why someone was asking about both at the same time. Nowadays, C++ is kind of a dying art, and is almost exclusively used for triple-A game development (I think; I've never worked in that industry, so I wouldn't know) and systems engineering (e.g., your OS, or most of Google's core infra, or the software running on anything NASA launches [although that's probably C, not C++], etc.,). And while "website coding" is certainly a common skill today, at any non-trivial level it's extremely highly specialized, and in a completely different direction from the specialization associated with C++. Because they're in such vastly different fields (specifically, anything you'd want to do in C++ is extremely far away from a website), I can't imagine what kind of project would require both of those, hence I found the question very weird. The analogy to asking someone if they're both a sushi chef and a pastry chef wasn't just a throwaway setup for the taiyaki joke.