Too in love with the past and unable to move forward

InvertMouse

Hey there :). Just wanted to share an issue of mine with everyone. People always say to try out new things, which is totally cool, but I find that once I love something, I want to do that over and over instead.

Travelling would be the simplest example. I went to Melbourne a few years ago, loved the place, and now I enjoy visiting every year. Once in a while, I might also check out a new country for the first time, but I still find myself more excited over revisiting cities like Melbourne, because that connection is already there. I made a game out of the place, so enough said I guess. Just wanted to bring it out into the open and see if anyone has similar feelings, or if you think this is a bad attitude, etc.

I recently listened to a Doom documentary called the Masters of Doom. This is my favorite all time game, and I admire John Romero and John Carmack a lot. During the documentary, they mentioned that one of the Johns love keeping everything and remembering the past, while the other prefers to look ahead and never holds much sentimental value for anything. Both guys are of course pretty successful to say the least, so this kind of talk made me interested enough to open this topic. How do you folks approach this type of thing?

Maybe it's me, but I think the outlook for a lot of people tends to shift as the years go by. When you're younger, you tend to look forward to what the future will bring. When you're older, you tend to look back and remember things you've done fondly. Imagine it like a road, at the beginning there's so much road ahead of you that can't help but look forward; but as you keep driving and you realize the road doesn't last forever and there's more road behind you then ahead, you start to reflect and try to downshift to finish the ride slower.

it sounds like my relationship with world of warcraft lol, even though there is so many other and better MMOs out there now, I still go back to WoW every once in a while to clear out the new expansion, it still has the same magic it had the time when I first booted it up 11 years ago.

With travelling its completely the opposite though, I get tired of a place if I have been there like twice or so and wanna see something completely different, I think it depends on what kind of person you are, some people really love that their environment switches a lot and some just want to travel to the same beach resort for 20 years :sachi: 

4 hours ago, Valmore said:

Maybe it's me, but I think the outlook for a lot of people tends to shift as the years go by. When you're younger, you tend to look forward to what the future will bring. When you're older, you tend to look back and remember things you've done fondly. Imagine it like a road, at the beginning there's so much road ahead of you that can't help but look forward; but as you keep driving and you realize the road doesn't last forever and there's more road behind you then ahead, you start to reflect and try to downshift to finish the ride slower.

This was very well put, I applaud such an accurate example.

As for myself, I think I've reached the point where I prefer going back to places I've already been to than to check out new places. Sure, there are a few places I've never been to that I'd like to visit, but I think I've moved around way too much in my early life. My family has never stayed in one place more than 3 years, we keep moving, usually because of my dad getting better job opportunities. I've barely entered university and I've already decently lived in 3 countries in dozens of different cities, not counting ones I've visited briefly. Just keeping up with my friends and family and happenings in these countries is already a huge chore, getting any more would just about make me explode:P

4 hours ago, Valmore said:

Yeah, this sums up my experience really well. I definitely find myself looking back more as I get older. Thanks for all the responses! Really cool to hear about all the different experiences.

I don't know about everyone else but I tend to prefer newer things. 

What you mentioned is completely normal. You enjoyed a country almost as if it was a second home. And a lot of people find that. Others enjoy vacations and trying out new places. 

I can't stand doom. Not because of it's style or anything, but I always felt completely lost in that game and making no real progress. 

I wouldn't say you are too in love with the past, you just have nothing to look forward to in other areas. 

The past is what makes you the person you are. It's your foundations. You should live in a way that makes you regret nothing later... but it's very hard. If anything being honest with yourself and the other people helps on this account. And good memories should be treasured. But they will die one day. You just have to keep making new ones.

The present, though, is what gives balance. Concentrating in the present moment soothes the mind. Probably the here and now it's the most important stage of your life. You should start things now to have them completed tomorrow. The worst is when you're sad or worried; it can ruin your present moment, since it takes some time to shift to a different feeling. But eventually, everything passes.

There are some people who put more value into the past, I think it's completely normal. As long as it doesn't make you feel bad.

1 hour ago, Deep Blue said:

i'm just gonna leave this quote here from max payne :P 

"The way I see it.. there're two types of people: those who spend their lives trying to build a future. And those who spend their lives trying to rebuild the past."

That was so deep it's no wonder why they call you Deep Blue :holo:!