Steins;Gate 0 on RPCS3

douggle

So yesterday as I was goofing around on various VN communities when I stumbled across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZnUfO19GKo Turns out its easier than I thought to get running though I do have a crash just past the issue but once I get sorted I ll be able to read this in its entirety via emulation,

Edit: about 20 minutes after posting this a build of the emulator popped up that solved my problem. 

mmm if you can read without any help (dictionary or parser) you have niconico, a guy there is uploading the entire novel, also win 10 is a no no for me. Still is nice to see a ps3 emulator working, I though that this day would never come :P 

btw is there a way to hook the text?(i assume the answer is no D: )

53 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

mmm if you can read without any help (dictionary or parser) you have niconico, a guy there is uploading the entire novel, also win 10 is a no no for me. Still is nice to see a ps3 emulator working, I though that this day would never come :P 

btw is there a way to hook the text?(i assume the answer is no D: )

I will report back on that shortly. 

So far no success, yet I am going to keep trying things. 

3 hours ago, douggle said:

I will report back on that shortly. 

So far no success, yet I am going to keep trying things. 

maybe with cheat engine, i would love to try it myself but i dont want and wont install win 10 specially if im not sure that i can even hook the text :P  still thanks for the effort

4 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

maybe with cheat engine, i would love to try it myself but i dont want and wont install win 10 specially if im not sure that i can even hook the text :P  still thanks for the effort

Perhaps HAT will work. Might be cool to look into yeah.

Edit: I'll try out HAT and see how it works.

Edited by Bolverk

2 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

well hat is a plugin for cheat engine to auto convert the hexa code but you need to find the address memory first 

Yeah, you're exactly right. Still converting the hex code manually each time doesn't really make it fun reading imo. So if hat works that would be ideal ^^

Seems like the emulator requires dx12 drivers to run optimally. Not going to bother getting win 10 to try this out. 

There is a thread ongoing about the game http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=173942&highlight=steins+gate 

Seems like works pretty well. Although ps3 emu is still quite experimental.

23 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

you gotta love that engrish xD , btw did you try using vnrith? if is use the same engine as the rest of the games (at least the psp ones) maybe it could work without the need of anything else ...

I did try it refuses to attach itself to the rpcs3 process

Sweet you got it working douggle.

I am hoping and twiddling my thumbs here, like a girl waiting for you to choose inside or outside if you can get text hooking to work. I am guessing the only way is using cheat engine  or something similar.

30 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

Please, just check whether this game uses custom encoding for characters or not. That's really the only thing that matters when it comes to the hookability of emulated games.

How do you check if it has custom encoding?

well you need to try with cheat engine then if you don't know how just follow this steps (do the same but replacing ppsspp and second novel with the ps3 emu and steins;gate :P )

i forgot to say, if it finds something (dont worry i didnt find anything in my tutorial) then it means you can hook the text, try with sis and utf16

Exactly, very good video.

If you can't find anything in CheatEngine, the game uses custom encoding for its characters and thus is practically impossible to hook. No VNR black magic can change this. Just give up. ^^
If you can find something with CheatEngine (game uses SJIS/UTF), it is theoretically possible to hook. It's another question whether VNR supports the engine or maybe someone made an H-Code of course... but, well, at least you don't need to lose hope yet, haha ^^

Sadly, I don't use Windows 10 (and probably never will) and I also don't know where I could get some PS3 rips to check some PS3 VNs myself. That's why I asked. Whether VNR supports a game or not is not really interesting for me, because in the next VNR update things can change again. What's more interesting is whether some games even have the possibility to be hooked.