master thesis - survey about playing visual novels TRY 2 - Please Retake

MissNordkorea

Hi,

it's me again. I received a lot of feedback from you and others and decided to revise my survey. This means I changed some questions and added new ones (stolen from a reddit survey...). I would be very happy if you could retake it! Sorry and thanks! In case anyone is wondering, I got admin approval to open a new thread. :)

Here we go: https://www.soscisurvey.de/visualnovels

Some information:

1) hours played has now more realistic options

2) Some questions now have more options

3) Some questions still are single choice (therefore "mainly/mostly" etc.)

Here is the main reason: For most questions I need a "Yes" and a "No" answer. Sometimes "Yes" has multiple options. The problem is that the survey only allows single choice or every(!) answer to be multiple choice. This means you could both tick one or more "Yes" answer(s) AND the "No" answer. This would invalidate the question or maybe the whole survey if it happens frequently. I'm also posting the survey to reddit/4chan etc. and to be honest I'm afraid that this would get abused. The only other option is to make two questions out of one which would inflate the survey and make it boring. I only did this for "how do you procure visual novels".  I thought about doing the same for the question how you consume it (japanese, englisch patch etc.) but oh well...

4) I have  a question about the rating of visual novel translations. Most people said this is hard to answer because "it depends". So I added a new question to give you a chance to rate JAST, MangaGamer, sekai project, fan translation groups etc. In the end I realised that I would get a rating for the companies but fan translation groups is again a "it depends" (maybe use 9 = I don't know). As I can't delete the question anymore I will either only use the data from the companies or exclude the question alltogether from the evaluation.

I hope you enjoy the new survey a little bit more than the old one and sorry that I couldn't fix all your concerns!

Thanks!

A little more information on my answers (if you care...)

I rated Mangagamer a 4 on translation quality as I generally come across a lot of dialog translation choices I find questionable, but from my experience their translation quality is widely varied.  Some are fine, others are atrocious, others are fine and atrocious at different times in the same title (Shuffle! comes to mind).  

DRM is an instant dealbreaker when it comes to money changing hands for me.  I will not support any company that utilizes DRM as a matter of principle.  I don't mind paying for something, but I'm only paying one time and it better not make my life easier to pirate it.    

I am FAR more apt to spend money on huge limited edition packages of games than I am a standard release or a download.  I'd much rather pay $200 for a soundtrack CD (or something of higher quality aimed at audiophiles), poster, autographs, 2WT dakimakura cover of a character I like, etc. than I am to pay $20-40 for a game alone.  I like having Japanese limited editions on the shelf in my library, and am quite comfortable with paying 200 USD/25,000 JPY or more if I feel I am getting value for my money.  I'm also much more likely to spend money on related goods (posters, calendars, keychains, etc. etc.) of something I pirated that I liked.  Contrary to RIAA/MPAA logic, piracy has greatly increased the amount of money I spend on otaku products.  I would spend more if Japanese companies didn't make me resent them for making it so difficult to give them money for products I want to buy.   

I selected your interest in Japan option a few times, but I would say it less that I am interested in Japan as much as many things that interest me happen to originate in Japan.  While I like New Japan Pro Wrestling, watch anime, play galge, practice kendo and would love to fight in Rizin FF now that there is a real spiritual successor to PRIDE FC, it is the existence of these things that draws me to Japan and learning Japanese, not the other way around as the answer choice seems to indicate.   

I'd also describe my interest in VNs as a natural extension of my interest in anime, and there really wasn't a choice for that.  Tokimemo was the stuff of legend for us western otaku in the 90s.

16 minutes ago, Okami said:

in Question 14. What visual attribute is the most important for you? there should be Characters as option, or at least other.

What do you even mean by characters here? I think character might fall into the writing or visuals depending on what you mean.

9 hours ago, EcchiOujisama said:

A little more information on my answers (if you care...)

I read every single Feedback I get and am very thankful! Even though I can't change anything anymore. Every change would mean that I have to start anew and I already did that once, it (and I as a person) would be ridiculous!

I am FAR more apt to spend money on huge limited edition packages of games than I am a standard release or a download.  I'd much rather pay $200 for a soundtrack CD (or something of higher quality aimed at audiophiles), poster, autographs, 2WT dakimakura cover of a character I like, etc. than I am to pay $20-40 for a game alone.  I like having Japanese limited editions on the shelf in my library, and am quite comfortable with paying 200 USD/25,000 JPY or more if I feel I am getting value for my money.

I thought about including a question for this but in the end I felt that this too specific (especially for my topic).

I selected your interest in Japan option a few times, but I would say it less that I am interested in Japan as much as many things that interest me happen to originate in Japan.  While I like New Japan Pro Wrestling, watch anime, play galge, practice kendo and would love to fight in Rizin FF now that there is a real spiritual successor to PRIDE FC, it is the existence of these things that draws me to Japan and learning Japanese, not the other way around as the answer choice seems to indicate.

This is a very interesting point of view, I will keep that in mind!

I'd also describe my interest in VNs as a natural extension of my interest in anime, and there really wasn't a choice for that.  Tokimemo was the stuff of legend for us western otaku in the 90s.

11. What motivated you to play visual novels? has the option "I enjoyed related or derivative works (e.g. anime, light novel, manga)" which comes  close I think.

18 minutes ago, Okami said:

in Question 14. What visual attribute is the most important for you? there should be Characters as option, or at least other.

Yeah, I noticed. Shame on me (again) :(

Thanks to everyone taking the survey (again) and providing feedback. Even though I can't change the survey anymore your thoughts allow me to present this stuff in a more sophisticated  way in my thesis!

I love that we can actually rate the translation quality of the companies now. Gave everyone a 1 and a 2 because I'm not a grammar nazi and can understand even Engrish no problem. 

Woohoo question 26, member of the 501 or more hours! :) Still probably 1/20 of what I spent on it in my lifetime, but definitely a more reasonable number even for casuals, so good job changing that question. 

• 2 weeks later...