WEE Episode 3 - Sekai Project's Unwanted Child

Nosebleed

to me wee1-2 are pretty much failed projects at this point, simply because their customers (or so i hope) expectations have been betrayed quality-wise aka their first read of the story as awhole wasnt as great as it could have been by putting more effords into living up to their expectations. like seriously those 3 medium/short sized novels, noone really heard of before, had quite a lot of backing, so yeah thats that.
to me releasing stuff, of whichs overall quality oneself isnt convinced to the fullest, is and should be always a no-no, be it out of respect towards the buyership or whomever.

3 hours ago, Crayten said:

Because they did one good thing makes them immune to critism? Sorry it does not work that way. They are by far the worst in terms of handling commucation with their costumer. If you ask them anything and you are really lucky you may get answer after 1-2 weeks.

Mikandi did a way better job compared to every other ks from SP. They had multiple AMAs, answered question on other social media plattforms and listend to critism and good suggestions instead of playing the all knowning god.

I never said they are still in the hundred percent in the right, I'm pretty sure in my previous post I made it clear they have lost allot of favor from me. Do I need to add explicit metaphors like I usually due to make it clear that they are on my shit list? I'm grateful for my Dad being a irresponsible dickhead in his youth, I wouldn't be here otherwise...... but, I wouldn't trust myself going deer hunting with him. I just wanted to state that they may have cause some good.

3 hours ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Little things matter such as publicity and customer loyalty. We live in a social world now, so it's hard to ignore and run away from it.... If SP is being an ass to customers and stay in the dark and making them worried all the time, if a company who does a better job at things comes by, everyone will come flocking AWAY from SP. They got all these ways to contact and keep in touch through multiple social medias with their customers and still fail hard. 

I would say you are hundred percent right, but the existence of EA is the corporeal counterargument to your sensible points. 

4 minutes ago, XReaper said:

to me wee1-2 are pretty much failed projects at this point, simply because their customers (or so i hope) expectations have been betrayed quality-wise aka their first read of the story as awhole wasnt as great as it could have been by putting more effords into living up to their expectations. like seriously those 3 medium/short sized novels, noone really heard of before, had quite a lot of backing, so yeah thats that.
to me releasing stuff, of whichs overall quality oneself isnt convinced to the fullest, is and should be always a no-no, be it out of respect towards the buyership or whomever.

You're talking about those 3 medium/short novels by the beloved creator of Spice and Wolf, right? What was wrong with the first 2? :S 

16 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

That implies they ever had one.
Now, companies look at profits/results, not reputation (at least, these random Japanese ones with no knowledge of English). A successful kickstarter theoretically means profits. If they stop having successful kickstarters (due to bad fame with the masses), that means companies will stop coming to them. That means they stop localising games. Their loss will amount to bad management and expenditure on the failed kickstarter campaigns.

Sekai Project will not be doomed to hell if they lose their reputation.  On the other hand, we, the people, will probably lose more.

I've seen a funny analogy where Sekai's kickstarter campaigns were compared to holding games hostage, and I think it sort of works. If we refuse to fund their games, the kickstarter will fail. If it fails, it'll forever be remembered that it failed. Having this black spot on the record, and such a huge pool of Japanese games to choose from, it hypothetically guarantees that it'll never be officially localised, said game.

So long as Sekai's business practices work, they will continue to make use of them. When they stop working, they won't incur too much in terms of damage, and at worst they'll just disband and do something else. Not drown in debt. And we, who want English games, are the parties who suffer the most damage. That is my point of view.

Reputation gets you free marketing and customer loyalty. Nothing is more valuable to a company when it can get something for free instead of wasting resources on it.

Should we just let Sekai Project do whatever it wants then? Heck if SP dies/goes bankrupt, everyone else's market share increases and possibly motivate other companies to go the extra mile, so I actually don't care if they go bankrupt (highly unlikely though, they got too many supporters). SP isn't exactly a monopoly here. Sure they provide some quality VNs but without you, me, and the customers buying their products, they wouldn't be where they are.

You should be more confident of your ability as a consumer/buyer and voice out your opinion instead of taking everything right up the ass and letting SP dominate and releasing all this half-assed products and falling for their false promises.

1 minute ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Should we just let Sekai Project do whatever it wants then? Heck if SP dies/goes bankrupt, everyone else's market share increases and possibly motivate other companies to go the extra mile, so I actually don't care if they go bankrupt (highly unlikely though, they got too many supporters). SP isn't exactly a monopoly here. Sure they provide some quality VNs but without you, me, and the customers buying their products, they wouldn't be where they are.

You should be more confident of your ability as a consumer/buyer and voice out your opinion instead of taking everything right up the ass and letting SP dominate and releasing all this half-assed products. 

You raise fair points, none of which I have nor will refute.
What I do not understand is why people scream bloody murder and dramatise things in such a way as to say that Sekai Project will ruin themselves and drown in their own blood or something.
I don't object to disagreeing with their practices.

Personally, I have in no way been negatively affected by Sekai Project's way of doing things, so I'll neither boycott nor badmouth them. That is not to say I cannot understand some people would find their ways disagreeable.

@Rooke especially because its from the creator of spice & wolf it deserves a better treatment than that.
the first one suffered from a non optimal translation paired with partly unnatural wordings & its second one was blessed by countless typos plus an english i dont want to read in a work of literature other than in magazines etc. both ones appear pretty unpolished & raw, nothing i´would like my customers to read for non risking their reading experience to be foiled (not everone re-reads stuff so their pretty much stuck in the fuck by time the re-translation etc will be done & even then, the first read is the most important one)
this is not only about sekai, but in general, if i buy something i expect it to be done in the best way possible and wont accept some halfbaked stuff. "we´ve been already past our estimated schedule" is nothing that works on me, getting it even later to read wont piss me off as much as some rushed crap for whatever reason it may have happened

Regarding XReaper's comment etc.

As a natural proofreader. WEE disgusted me. I loved the series so much after I read episode 1. But proofreading spelling/grammar/flow issues killed much of episode 2 for me. There are a TON of (simple) errors. It's distracting. I called SP out on it. It's like the game never went on any sort of QC. http://puu.sh/mOG1N/1739fc5244.png (blue hyperlinks) shows just how much I found and I wasn't even halfway through episode 2; it doesn't even show the ones I found on episode 1. Even some free fan-translations surpass this game by a milestone.

They were asking me to keep submitting errors. I stopped reading since I lost motivation and I just told them to completely overhaul the whole script. No point in me pointing (no pun intended lol) out errors one by one when there's going to be hundreds of them.

Even to this day, it's a slow drag to continue reading episode 2. I don't care much for 3 anymore. What a shame.

4 hours ago, Rooke said:

They've recently put out an abomination of a kickstarter, with no worthwhile high tiers and few rewards, corrected their position in only the last 7 days of the campaign, and still look to raise the 150,000 or whatever it is they need with thousands of people donating. This doesn't seem to me as a company who's stock is plummeting. People will point to a transgender, boy love kickstarter as 'proof' of the community's feelings against Sekai, but these people are either being disingenuous or they're naive. Boy love is niche within a niche, and the transgender aspect partly negates that niche, so it was always going to fail (imo.)

WE3 is regrettable, but Batman here has the right of it. They haven't actually had any failures yet, and the hardcore communities 'angst' hasn't materialised into anything worthwhile. So either a) the hardcore community isn't as powerful as they think or b) it's only a small, but noisy portion of the hardcore community. The latest game they're publishing is some 2d weird actiony RPG game, and not at all a VN which is interesting.

Sekai need to get their act together on WE3 though. They've definitely made some mistakes.

It's not just WE3.  Shiny Days ended up the way it did in part because Sekai Project was busy with other projects and didn't have time to fix it.  It had JAST's name on the box, and JAST took the fall for the problems, but Sekai Project was doing the work.  Sekai Project is taking on more projects at once than they can handle, and that's a recipe for poor quality and delays.

• 3 months later...

I finished ep. 1, I know I'm little due to the party but I have to say this ep. is pretty solid. But there ARE 'some' problem's with translation, ending was pretty easy to predict and there are no voices. How is ep. 2 compared to ep. 1 storywise?  I mean as I see translation is definitely worse (Maybe they are following some path and ep. 3. will be in giberish?)

This isn't really a WEE discussion thread, but I don't know if there is one of those, so off we go!

IMO, WEE Episode 1 has a good story but a few key unlikeable characters which make the experience less pleasant. In contrast, WEE Episode 2 has half of a good story, and pretty much only has likeable characters. Unfortunately, that part about only having half of a good story results in a pretty unsatisfying ending. I'd suggest waiting until Episode 3 is out, then read both in a row. I've been waiting impatiently for Episode 3 for a while now...