Help Wanted: Know mySQL? Is there an editor for my needs?

Tay

Short Version: Looking for a mySQL editor which will let me duplicate and edit tables for our VNTS posts.

• "Needs": a not-awful user interface; ability to list my columns next to each other; ability to duplicate and edit tables directly in a decent manner
  • "Wants": make one of the columns WYSIWYG and be able to convert its content to a second column in HTML format; host and access the program on the site and not an offline client
  • Depending on how extensive your consultation is, I'd be willing to pay you a bit for your time.

Long version:

We use a mySQL database for our weekly VNTS posts over on the blog, which works very nicely for our needs. That said, we currently have to make each table in Google Sheets > export as CSV > import the CSV into our plugins software which will then write it all into the mySQL database.

This workflow gets the job done, but it's clunky. It would be really great if we had an editor which could just duplicate last week's tables and let us edit the new tables directly.

Do you know mySQL? Do you know of any editors which could allow us to duplicate and edit tables directly? I'm not looking for an elaborate solution: the ability to duplicate last week's tables and edit the columns to input the latest information (including adding/deleting rows, etc.) is the minimum I'm looking for. 

(If possible, there are some advanced features I'd really love to have, but we can talk about those if somebody/multiple people speak up and want to help)

http://imgur.com/6rLEr6h

If any of you know your way around mySQL and want to help me out, drop a comment in this thread and we can go over exactly what I need (and what I'd like in an ideal universe : P). 

Depending on how extensive your consultation is, I'd be willing to pay you a bit for your time.

Thanks!

- Tay

As I am not familiar with the web space environment you have, I can only make suggestions to make your job easier.

Why not try to plug the mysql database via odbc (assuming it is available) into a flat view excel workbook - or even MS Access for old-school table editing.

That way you get the power of excel/access on your side to do all the editing and copying.

As for your "wants" - xcel macros/vba for a quick and dirty job which will take a few hours to whip up to convert your html column assuming you know what you're doing.

Though you still have the offline issue - this is where i'm not sure what kind of tools are available in your environment - if you are looking for a custom fancy asp/php solution then it's not going to be easy (to make and to maintain - the latter is more important)

2 hours ago, maefdomn said:

Learning sql is the best interface. It's not hard

The only time I've ever touched a MySQL database was 12 years ago when I ran a phpBB board. I could probably learn to work with it directly but Tay would have to give me access to the databases, A simpler solution would probably be preferable if it wouldn't be more effort than it's worth.

Jartse's solution is good too. Using excel to view directly your databases would work.

But as far as I know, even the most basic SQL tool can view tables. DBeaver could.

I mean, it's a SELECT command ...

You make the problem look a lot more complicated and unclear than it probably is.

What I'm saying is that everything you need looks to me like it could be done manually with minimal knowledge of the SQL language.

Good points all around. It's more about convenience than this being a problem, specifically in WYSIWYG > HTML conversion for notes sections, dynamic editing without having to use our table plugin's backend, and cutting out some of the workflow.

Nay and I are going to work on this tonight and see what we can come up with.

The most proven MySQL editor is probably phpMyAdmin. Super easy to install and set up and fantastic to use. Has editing available for all tables with index (they should all have indexes) and can do just about anything you need.

https://www.phpmyadmin.net/

If you want, I'm willing to test features you need on my own MySQL server with my own phpMyAdmin install before you commit or anything like that.

fwIGwVB.png

As the name suggests it runs on PHP on your server, only thing I can't seem to find is that  WYSIWYG > HTML conversion .