Nakige Discussion

VirginSmasher

What are your guy's opinions on nakiges? I've stated quite a bit before that they are one of my favorite genres in visual novels mainly because Key is one of my favorite companies and nakiges are their forte. Also, if you have a favorite nakige, state it as well. Are you guys emotional like me and love these VNs or are you the opposite?

Gotta be honest, not a big fan. Well, in theory I am as I really do enjoy feels in visual novels, but I feel like the normal "romance/comedy nakige" trend just ... Ugh, can't really take it.

I'm more about the moe to be honest. Less drama, more moe. :sachi:

If I'm gonna read about feels I want it to be more in the form of action or pshychological stuff, not romantic goo.

Won't say no to a nakige every once in a while, but there is a reason why I haven't gone very deeply into the bag of key nakiges. Just aint mah thing.

I love my drama. I acknowledge Key as the legit masters of nakige. It nonwithstanding that their works tend to be full of blemishes.

From Key, I like routes and tidbits rather than whole games -they are so lengthy... but they are probably worth it. From "Kanon" my favorite are Shiori, Makoto and Ayu. Some people probably can't stand Makoto -or Ayu, for that matter- but I liked them. I watched the anime before the novel, so I think that the novel has less impact, especially on Ayu. But that may just be wrong.

"Planetarian" was probably the better example of nakige -full feelz, no comedy. It just didn't move me as much as most people. Not bad, however.

"Angel Beats" the anime was a mess, foreshadowing the disaster of "Charlotte" -their weakest work I've consumed-, but I salvage Yui's episode, I liked it a lot.

Somehow I prefer when the drama involves a significant other, so I don't buy much into strong friendships, but "Little Busters" was well done. It drove me to tears at a certain moment. The routes were mostly okay, enjoyable, but not memorable. Most accurate description was that they were alright save for a glaring aspect or were derailed. The ones I liked the less were Haruka and Kud, but they were alright in the common route -and Kud's romance was not bad, it's just the rest. Komari, is just an appetizer into the game that can set the mood.

I've yet to complete "Rewrite" and then some day I may get into "Clannad".

8 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

i haven't read a lot of them yet though, i'd be kind of interested to try a good one that isn't made by key

An interesting one is "Ano Hana" (Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae Wo Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai), but I didn't like the anime that much. Interesting characters full of shit, however. I think it doesn't have a translation yet, plus it was released for PSP. [https://vndb.org/v10109]

Another is the fabled "ef - a fairy tale of the two" but tends to incorporate utsuge elements, especially in the bad ends.

7 minutes ago, Okarin said:

"Angel Beats" was a mess, foreshadowing the disaster of "Charlotte" -their weakest work I've consumed-, but I salvage Yui's episode, I liked it a lot.

Wait .. Whoa.. Charlotte isn't even a VN!

And it's so beautiful...  :kosame: How dare you insult it! :pyaa: 

5 minutes ago, Okarin said:

An interesting one is "Ano Hana" (Ano Hana no Namae Wo Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai), but I didn't like the anime that much. Interesting characters full of shit, however. I think it doesn't have a translation yet, plus it was released for PSP or PSV.

yeah, i've heard people mention it in that context as well, but i had no idea it was based off a vn. i might look into it at some point

there's an odd thing i have with anime vs VN. in kanon, i only read one route (shiori), which made me cry like a toddler, and then i watched the anime for the rest of the story, and it didn't cost me a single tear. i would mostly put it down to pacing, but i'm still not quite sure why

3 minutes ago, Okarin said:

I love my drama. I acknowledge Key as the legit masters of nakige. It nonwithstanding that their works tend to be full of blemishes.

From Key, I like routes and tidbits rather than whole games -they are so lengthy... but they are probably worth it. From "Kanon" my favorite are Shiori, Makoto and Ayu. Some people probably can't stand Makoto -or Ayu, for that matter- but I liked them. I watched the anime before the novel, so I think that the novel has less impact, especially on Ayu. But that may just be wrong.

"Planetarian" was probably the better example of nakige -full feelz, no comedy. It just didn't move me as much as most people. Not bad, however.

"Angel Beats" was a mess, foreshadowing the disaster of "Charlotte" -their weakest work I've consumed-, but I salvage Yui's episode, I liked it a lot.

Somehow I prefer when the drama involves a significant other, so I don't buy much into strong friendships, but "Little Busters" was well done. It drove me to tears at a certain moment. The routes were mostly okay, enjoyable, but not memorable. Most accurate description was that they were alright save for a glaring aspect or were derailed. The ones I liked the less were Haruka and Kud, but they were alright in the common route -and Kud's romance was not bad, it's just the rest. Komari, is just an appetizer into the game that can set the mood.

I've yet to complete "Rewrite" and then some day I may get into "Clannad".

I finished Kanon in about 2 days with 8 hours of sleep in there. It hooked me back then, but back then, I also really liked h scenes and though they were good in that game so take my judgement as you will.

Planetarian was a very enjoyable read if not a little too short in my eyes. Saya No Uta is a shining example of how to tell a great story in a short period of time and Planetarian should've been extended a little longer for more development in my eyes.

It sucks to hear than Angel Beats really wasn't that great. I was excited for an English release, but it's sad to hear that's it's basically repeating the anime, flaws and all. I hope they don't pull out that stupid twist like they did in the anime just to drag feels out of people.

12 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

to me, a story getting you beyond the sob-point is the ultimate reward.

i haven't read a lot of them yet though, i'd be kind of interested to try a good one that isn't made by key

There are many nakige that are great that haven't been translated. At least, based on VNDB because I can't read unTLed VNs unless I'm using TA.

2 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Wait .. Whoa.. Charlotte isn't even a VN!

And it's so beautiful...  :kosame: How dare you insult it! :pyaa: 

It's not a VN, but it's a Key work, and potentially can be made into a VN (though, I don't see how).

It tells a lot that you're not much into nakige and still defend Charlotte... because it lacked any competent emotional scenes (the most dramatic you get is the protagonist falling into a life of decadence and then miraculously getting on his feet with some words by the series' domina/bitch. He never defied her even when her attitude was pretty distant often).

Just now, Okarin said:

It's not a VN, but it's a Key work, and potentially can be made into a VN (though, I don't see how).

It tells a lot that you're not much into nakige and still defend Charlotte... because it lacked any competent emotional scenes (the most dramatic you get is the protagonist falling into a life of decadence and then miraculously getting on his feet with some words by the series' domina/bitch. He never defied her even when her attitude was pretty distant often).

3 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I finished Kanon in about 2 days with 8 hours of sleep in there. It hooked me back then, but back then, I also really liked h scenes and though they were good in that game so take my judgement as you will.

Planetarian was a very enjoyable read if not a little too short in my eyes. Saya No Uta is a shining example of how to tell a great story in a short period of time and Planetarian should've been extended a little longer for more development in my eyes.

It sucks to hear than Angel Beats really wasn't that great. I was excited for an English release, but it's sad to hear that's it's basically repeating the anime, flaws and all. I hope they don't pull out that stupid twist like they did in the anime just to drag feels out of people.

There are many nakige that are great that haven't been translated. At least, based on VNDB because I can't read unTLed VNs unless I'm using TA.

Wait, is this seriously a thing? People don't like charlotte? xD

I absolutely loved it from start to finish. This isn't the anime section so we'll leave it at that, but damn, wasn't aware people were bashing on this :pyaa:

My poor Charlotte :kosame:

11 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Sorry, don't be misled -I was talking about the anime. It was my first ever Key work, back in 2010, when I didn't know anything about VNs. The anime was much expected, so I went with the hype, and what I found was a work with a lot of ups and downs.

The novel probably improves upon it... right, Key? I loved the music from Girls DeMo though.

As for Kanon, I only know that the H scenes are terrible and thrown in there with no regards... but at a point where you haven't seen lots of them and are craving for it, they could be okay -¡gimme tits!.

5 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Yeah I actually bought their albumes on itunes :yumiko:

Listen to it quite often on the bus to school.

Iwasawa's voice over Yui any day of the week though.

I usually listen to metal on the way to school and I look like a psycho whenever people see me playing the drums to those songs.

Anyways, this discussion has gone way off track because of...me...shut up, BAKA, HENTAI :michiru:

Now this is totally offtopic, but they sould make a study about why geeks* such as otaku or VN consumers tend to be drawn to the dark/rough side of metal. I'm a rock person and like melodic music, so I just ain't keen on Black, Death and most Thrash... unless they're melodic like some tracks from Dimmu Borgir. A little rough is fine, however, such as edgy heavy metal (Primal Fear for example).

* No offense, geek myself.

Just now, Okarin said:

Now this is totally offtopic, but they sould make a study about why geeks* such as otaku or VN consumers tend to be drawn to the dark/rough side of metal. I'm a rock person and like melodic music, so I just ain't keen on Black, Death and most Thrash... unless they're melodic like some tracks from Dimmu Borgir. A little rough is fine, however, such as edgy heavy metal (Primal Fear for example).

* No offense, geek myself.

That do anything for you?

1 minute ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

other way round?

also, i'm kind of interested to hear if anyone has had any experiences similar to what i said about anime versus VN

I usually like the VN better than the anime. That's how it was with Air and Kanon and probably how it will be with every other Key anime adaptation because every single one except Planetarian has one.

So far I have only read Planetarian. Pretty little story. Not too long, not too short. Great world they build and I would LOVE to see some 50+ hours long cinetic novel based in that world.
Nakige element was really easily predicted and get me bored instead of saddened (especially with a typical 'foreshadowing' of bad events, I hate that), but sad ending was so long, that it 'broke' me on one point

Spoiler

'why did everything break' part

and I finally burst into tears. :D I loved it. :D
And Yume's 'Kokyak-sama' is deeply carved into my brain. ;p

1 minute ago, Vorathiel said:

So far I have only read Planetarian. Pretty little story. Not too long, not too short. Great world they build and I would LOVE to see some 50+ hours long cinetic novel based in that world.
Nakige element was really easily predicted and get me bored instead of saddened (especially with a typical 'foreshadowing' of bad events, I hate that), but sad ending was so long, that it 'broke' me on one point

Reveal hidden contents

'why did everything break' part

and I finally burst into tears. :D I loved it. :D
And Yume's 'Kokyak-sama' is deeply carved into my brain. ;p

50 hours...kinetic novel...that'd break me for sure. I can hardly go 3 hours without a choice let alone 50.