Who are charages aimed for?

Vorathiel

Well, I have to admit, I can't spend 5 hours reading charage. It's usually 8-12 hours.

As for why, I play eroge for a different purpose. I don't need some depressing stories, bullet arrow flying everywhere, or blood filled the dialog. I just want some nice comedy, romance to read, to laugh, to enjoy. That's why I choose charage. So, yeah, I guess it aims at those kind of people like me. Or people that just want a change of pace after reading Higurashi.

18 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Could you recommend any romance driven, decent in lenght vns, which has a protagonist who is picking up on girls, who are not interested in him, and gradually 'winning' their hearts?

Pretty much most old school dating sims.
Has certainly something to do with different types of otakus back then and now. Before moe was "invented", girls were behaving much more realistic which means the perverted protagonist was pretty kimoi to them. He first had to show them that he is deep down a good guy before they started to put down their pantsus.

Not to confuse with all the old school nanpa games where you play an alpha-male who nanpas teeny sluts. Same time in history, but different approaches to different target audiences. Although there are games where nanpa evolves into true love...

Nearly everything in the history of eroge and its evolution can be explained with the otaku-culture at that time. Sadly, most people nowadays only know the "third generation" of otakus (moe otakus) and entertainment targeted at them which is certainly not the best at depicting the process of falling in love.
I mean, just look at how the trope "classic tsundere" evolved into "modern tsundere" to see what I mean.

4 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

So my question is - who is it really aimed for? I, for example, as a beta-male, I feel sometimes just depressed when seeing a scenes when this asshole, the protagonist, is doing absolutly nothing and he gets girlfriend besides that. I have enough of seeing this in reall life. This is not escapism I'm looking for. This is a nail to the coffin to the depressed by 'that feel when no gf'. Or maybe I am just a special snowflake, and charages are not aimed for me? And all those other no girlfriend boys/men are enticed and happy by those stories? Or maybe charages are aimed for japanesse succesfull boys/men? But if so, then it contradicts to my point of view, as who would want to read a charage, when he have a reall loving girlfriend.

I don't like charage/moege (I read and purchased a few but... no... I prefer other types of VNs), but this way the "flow" of the story is more "natural", the relation would feel sort of forced otherwise.

I definitely prefer this approach to the old school dating sims.

19 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

How it looked in those old school vns? And any specific examples?

Uh, how about the game which pretty much invented the genre? https://vndb.org/v185

Back then, most eroge were pretty linear. That also meant that they were quite short. Most of the time, you could H every heroine in one run (with the last being your new girlfriend most of the time, lol)
The idea behind this "new" dating sim concept was to enhance playing time with challenging the reader. Firstly, you only get one heroine at most, thus several runs are necessary. Secondly, the "challenge" here is to get the girl. That means you had to "capture" your heroine which essentially means to win her heart.
The difference to modern charage is that there is no challenge in modern eroge whatsoever. The reader expects to get the route he wants the first time. And the protagonist will solve the drama for him, the reader just needs to read. If not, he will complain about "stupid choices". He will also complain if the girls doesn't like him from the beginning, because that's not helping with his escapism. He wants to read something where he, the player, is loved by everyone.

I'm not trying to judge, mind you. But there is clearly a difference in what the audience expected back then and now.

Some English translated examples are https://vndb.org/v241 (dating sim) and https://vndb.org/v206 (vn).

6 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:

Pretty much most old school dating sims.
Has certainly something to do with different types of otakus back then and now. Before moe was "invented", girls were behaving much more realistic which means the perverted protagonist was pretty kimoi to them. He first had to show them that he is deep down a good guy before they started to put down their pantsus.

Not to confuse with all the old school nanpa games where you play an alpha-male who nanpas teeny sluts. Same time in history, but different approaches to different target audiences. Although there are games where nanpa evolves into true love...

Nearly everything in the history of eroge and its evolution can be explained with the otaku-culture at that time. Sadly, most people nowadays only know the "third generation" of otakus (moe otakus) and entertainment targeted at them which is certainly not the best at depicting the process of falling in love.
I mean, just look at how the trope "classic tsundere" evolved into "modern tsundere" to see what I mean.

I honestly can't see the appeal of modern tsundere at all. Somewhere along the route you expect the heroine to start behaving differently if she's been a vile bitch up to that point, but that doesn't really happen with them. 

If you like frontal assault/direct approach to picking up girls, I quite liked Never 7's Izumi route. She's an attractive girl, and at one moment the protagonist just asks whether she has a boyfriend. This is just the not beating around the bush thing you should do often IRL. Other routes in the game could give you cancer though (Saki ugh), and I think Izumi is locked.

Charage are basically directed at people with limited imaginations who still want to self-insert into the protagonist's place and enjoy his harem.  People with better imaginations tend to turn to more serious VNs... like chuunige, mysteries, rpgs, sci-fi, etc.

Because most males (well, okay, me) want to escape to a world where I am a popular badass stud who gets girls without doing much but crooking my finger.

And escape to a world where I need to work myself to get a girl is just a repetition of real world. Not a place i want to escape too.

I know. Pathetic me, eh?

The OP makes some statements about the trend in eroges being made, which are correct, but he also says things which could be taken as derisive statements against various types of eroge readers. And then everyone (myself included) feels inclined to put those people down, or put themselves down. That's human nature for you :angry:.

Just do what you like, and don't be ashamed of yourself. There's not a huge difference between wish-fulfillment in fiction, challenges in fiction, and challenges in the real world. It just comes down to what you want.

7 hours ago, Chronopolis said:

I know the feeling of when things are clearly aimed at someone different from you. I usually settle for stories where the journey that leads up to the two being together is long and varied, and most importantly, feels like it's theirs. Can't think of any VN that includes "the approach" though.

Ef?

6 hours ago, castor212 said:

Because most males (well, okay, me) want to escape to a world where I am a popular badass stud who gets girls without doing much but crooking my finger.

And escape to a world where I need to work myself to get a girl is just a repetition of real world. Not a place i want to escape too.

I know. Pathetic me, eh?

Well...not exactly. Having an ability to project yourself onto strongly drawn characters is rather thing worth envy. It is fully escaping a reality, totall immerse of made up story, while people like me couldn't enjoy it as much as they want, because we're so grounded to ourselves.

4 hours ago, Chronopolis said:

The OP makes some statements about the trend in eroges being made, which are correct, but he also says things which could be taken as derisive statements against various types of eroge readers. And then everyone (myself included) feels inclined to put those people down, or put themselves down. That's human nature for you :angry:.

Sorry. :wafuu: