Visual novel genres and traits/fetishes that you cant stand

Dergonu

Yeah so we have been doing this like all week now; make an opposite thread. So yeah, this one is the opposite of favorite visual novel genres by virginsmasher. 

What are your least favorite visual novel genres? Doesn't have to be something you absolutely hate of course, but one you are just fed up with at this point for example. 

Personally I´m really not a fan of nakige. It usually just ends up feeling forced. TAKE OUR DRAMA! TAKE IT!!! Ohh and then, happy end. :sachi: So basically, unnecessary drama tags. 

Oh and trap. :makina: Yes Jade. You heard me. 

Yuri and Trap! :saber:

Nah, just kidding. I do love them and that's what I will love forever.

Getting down to business, the Visual Novel genre that I can't stand of is harem.

Like, if you were in a harem situation, which girl would you choose to marry in the future? You turn down the other girls and they're heart-broken. Now that's kinda depressing to look at them heart-broken girls. It's better if you weren't in a harem situation. :sachi:

I'm totally not Hanana Banana Tomato, Dergonu!

Utsuge that doesn't hide it. If I know beforehand that everything's going to shit anyway, I don't feel the tension I would feel from a title with unpredictable outcomes.

Moege that have something resembling a somewhat serious plot that turns into happy endings in every route (think Dracu-Riot, Koichoco). I might feel it the first time, but it gets old after that.

Aside from that... pretentiousness, lolis, 3Ps, harems, weird fetishes, promiscuity, sexism (to various degrees). Most of the VNs I end up playing have something I hate, but I can bear with some things to a degree if the VN has something I really like.

I can play just about anything, but I generally don't have an interest in 'traditional' mystery types.  The whole point of a mystery is trying to figure out who the criminal/antagonist is, but I know all the cues for Japanese, American, and British style mysteries, so I figure it out too early... the curse of having read too much mystery as a child.

28 minutes ago, gijimu said:

Yaoi, trap, futanari, and any weird fetishes. 

No need to explain. 

^basically this, add in yuri, lolis and tsunderes too

i also hate the random h-scenes we get in most VNs (moeges esp) one h-scene is fine but why add in a dozen more :/ and they last way too long, who reads 'em anyway? 

imo this is one of the reasons VNs have a weird reputation 

56 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Oh and trap. :makina: Yes Jade. You heard me. 

Spoiler

oyIqTYX.png

Hypocrite 

For me it's no doubt Useless aka Hetare Protagonist. That one VN where MC can be described with two word: Kind and Hardworking

That shit it's boring, why would i want to read the story of the most cliche personality of all time?

Nothing turn me off than that.

20 minutes ago, Funnerific said:

Utsuge that doesn't hide it. If I know beforehand that everything's going to shit anyway, I don't feel the tension I would feel from a title with unpredictable outcomes.

I disagree with this; I feel a powerful tragedy lets you know what'll happen, while making you think, "pls pls dont actually do that to them," but then shit hits anyway -- that's still tension. To me, at least. What do you think?

26 minutes ago, Funnerific said:

Aside from that... pretentiousness

And, I don't really get what you mean by pretentiousness -- as a lot of people have different ways to define it, and to varying degrees. So uh... mind clearing that up?

Thinking about it, none come to mind personally. I'm not interested in moege or nukige, but I wouldn't say I can't stand it.

24 minutes ago, gijimu said:

Yaoi

2 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

Yaoi

tfw you want to defend yaoi but will most definitely lose bc arguments r completely pointless in this thread

b-but i will definitely say it isn't a WEIRD fetish  :pyaa:

46 minutes ago, Jade said:
  Reveal hidden contents

oyIqTYX.png

Hypocrite 

For me it's no doubt Useless aka Hetare Protagonist. That one VN where MC can be described with two word: Kind and Hardworking

That shit it's boring, why would i want to read the story of the most cliche personality of all time?

Nothing turn me off than that.

Oh no.... my moment of weakness! :pyaa: 

N-Nosbleed! Kaguya! Someone! DELETE IT! :pyaa: 

1 hour ago, Wonderfullyevil said:

I disagree with this; I feel a powerful tragedy lets you know what'll happen, while making you think, "pls pls dont actually do that to them," but then shit hits anyway -- that's still tension. To me, at least. What do you think?

And, I don't really get what you mean by pretentiousness -- as a lot of people have different ways to define it, and to varying degrees. So uh... mind clearing that up?

Thinking about it, none come to mind personally. I'm not interested in moege or nukige, but I wouldn't say I can't stand it.

tfw you want to defend yaoi but will most definitely lose bc arguments r completely pointless in this thread

b-but i will definitely say it isn't a WEIRD fetish  :pyaa:

As for utsuge, I've seen enough to know it will actually happen. If it didn't, the title in question wouldn't be tagged with utsuge in the first place. It ends up being a foregone conclusion.

Pretentiousness

Example 1: I'll do everything for it, no matter what it takes! Ah, but I can't do this, this, this, this is unthinkable entirely - and really all I can do is shout and be a braindead hot-blooded protagonist. https://vndb.org/v92

Example 2, more common: the world is a cold place, and since I grew up here, I'm the same way. That doesn't mean I won't break my character every now and then to be surprisingly kind and act according to the society's norms because otherwise a lot of players will be put off, go refund the game and the VN company will have to close doors. https://vndb.org/v1896

Example 3: No murder allowed. Characters in action titles keep talking about how it may be necessary, but will never do it. Guns will always be used to magically "neutralize" human enemies without killing anyone, because good guys never kill, no matter how evil the bad guy is, right? If the bad guy has to die no matter what, he'll end up dying on his own, one way or the other, thus conveniently avoiding any guilt for the good guy. Most action anime out there, https://vndb.org/v5154

Think about it, have you even seen any anime where the protagonist kills a human? Barely anything goes far enough.

Example 4: Cop outs. Provide strong indications of heavy plot, then brush it off as misunderstandings and go the lighthearted way. Generally moege, https://vndb.org/v16069

1 hour ago, Wonderfullyevil said:

I hated it. Forewarning the player that something bad will happen. Like putting the sentencce "and that was a last time I have seen her" and then few hours in the game alter, protag finds out she is dead. It's killing the tension, mood, everything.

Also - I hate futanaris. Not a fan of tentacles (but if done well, like Marunomi, then can be fun) and guro. Anything else - I'm fine if story is good.

Guys, this is the "genre" thread, not the "secret fetishes" thread :^ )

anyway

comedy in vns is horrible 90% of the time.

Dont get me wrong, I like comedy and I love stuff like majikoi, but that wasnt because of the comedy but the overall feeling, also the grisaia common route is the most overrated thing ever.