Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
firecat

Steam is not special, its just another website

12 hours ago, firecat said:

let you said this: "I don't think Steam can really fall under the title of "Just Another Website" until you can name 9 more similar websites that deliver the same impact as Steam does."

now you saying it can't do that: "You still need to market the game and give the fact that it's easily accessible through Steam as a selling point. Even then, there's no guarantee of success."

oh and just so you wont play word games, keywords are "impact" for the first sentence and for your current post the keyword is "success".

You already identify where you went wrong, so there's not much else for anyone to add. 'Largest impact' in no way means 'guaranteed success'. To say these two sentences are conflicting in nature is very, very wrong.

7 hours ago, firecat said:

its already been point out that people use that sentence has propaganda.

It has been suggested, without much in the way of reasoning or evidence.

if 20+ developers cant find success in steam (including fnaf creator) then there is no way that sentence is true.

20 developers not being able to find success on Steam in no way counters Decay

also just so people won't counter, fnaf creator only wanted to create games (sure i dont like the game). but he is receiving death threats, this has nothing to do with being popular or else there would have been laws about this kind of stuff (this is not a law debate). the fans are the ones to blame for making a game into something people dont like, where do these fans come from? steam because every fnaf game (not mobile) has been only in steam. you know what steam will do? nothing because its just a website.

That's nice. Also completely irrelevant. Serving no purpose. Useless in nature. Unconnected to the points being discussed. Tangential. Inapposite. Inappropriate. And unimportant. 

The idea that people visiting Steam behave badly doesn't show what you want it to show. It's very sad.

3 hours ago, Valmore said:

Let me see if I can help you here:

1. Steam, regardless of your pounding away at the keyboard, is the best-known online outlet for downloading video games along with extras specific to the site. Meaning online play with others, the weird rewards system, etc. It has the potential to deliver a bigger impact or chance of success than a typical indie developer can get on their own. Comparing Amazon to Steam is silly - you're comparing a convertible to an oak tree. Your list of other websites is nice, and there's nothing wrong with putting your game on them, either. Just don't expect to hear most people to know or care about that site as compared to knowing Steam. Know why there are people with the annoying habit of calling all mp3 players iPod or all soft drinks Coke? Brand name recognition. Heck, ever say "I need a Band-Aid" at all? Band-Aid is a brand name for what's really an adhesive medical strip. Power of brand name. Steam has the potential for your game to get out there better because it has that sort of brand power.

2. Steam is part of a capitalistic society at large. Meaning being on Steam is no guarantee for success for anyone. It's a potential tool or resource, but nothing in capitalism is guaranteed. Will developers fail even using Steam? Of course. They can also fail having it listed on Amazon or their own home page. But it does have potential for greater success than just hosting it on a makeshift website.

3. What you're basically trying to say is, because some developers did not do well on Steam, it must suck and everyone who likes Steam must be a brainwashed zombie. Problem is that there are so many other factors as to why a game fails anywhere - economics 101, really. Supply and demand, product quality, marketing, etc. Blaming Steam for a developers game not taking off is like blaming the President for high gas prices.

The next stage of Indie development on Steam will be interesting. Far too many Indies making titles looking for quick money, and Steam's letting them all on. With Indies suddenly not being as financially rewarding, and some making comprehensive losses, that suggests an Indie crash coming soon, but we've been expecting it for a few years now and it hasn't come ...

1 hour ago, Rooke said:

The next stage of Indie development on Steam will be interesting. Far too many Indies making titles looking for quick money, and Steam's letting them all on. With Indies suddenly not being as financially rewarding, and some making comprehensive losses, that suggests an Indie crash coming soon, but we've been expecting it for a few years now and it hasn't come ...

its official you are a fanboy, i wouldn't say it if you didn't try to think about the developers it hurt but now i definitely know that you are completely and unreasonably hopeless. how could you so selfish, how could you not feel any pain for the developers, why do you think you are a dictator. this is what i'm talking about the steam community being a bad community, just because a community is saying something doesn't mean that community is considered a good community.

in other words, jumping into the bandwagon is bad for small business, youtubers did the same thing and look what happen... random videos left to right, play the lottery at 1 Billion but small chance at winning , surveys will pay the bills, payed for playing games, twitter/facebook is better (killed myspace rip), iphone is better (its basicly the same as android), make vn for your first game, and the internet will pay for itself (it never did).

its real you cant say no to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwagon_effect

moreover, the indie crash is a lie, we dont know who started it but anyone with a brain will understand that every indie developer has different budgets (spending) and in no way shape or form will developers stop building games.

The idea that people visiting Steam behave badly doesn't show what you want it to show. It's very sad.

@Valmore this involves you too.

look what you are doing, you are trying to pressure me into doing something i hate. you are no better than ISIS who do the same things you are doing right now. shame on you, shame on you.

On 1/28/2016 at 6:57 PM, firecat said:

@Valmore this involves you too.

look what you are doing, you are trying to pressure me into doing something i hate. you are no better than ISIS who do the same things you are doing right now. shame on you, shame on you.

Did I tell you to go create a Steam account or I'd cut your head off, you godless infidel? You don't want to use Steam, that's fine by me. No sweat off my back. An indie game developer doesn't want to use Steam? Same thing - doesn't bother me at all. What's bothersome is you don't seem to understand capitalism and branding.

On 1/29/2016 at 7:08 PM, Rose said:

Rooke is literally Hitler.

Dibs on Hirohito!!! It cannot be helped!

5 hours ago, Black Sands Entertainment said:

so selling my game on steam. Gonna be all proud and everything then post it here saying "steam is the best."

I'll buy it and quote you with "word."