Steam is not special, its just another website

firecat

I'm late for this.

Steam is yet another option for the gamer, yes, but it's one of the main ones. It's kinda convenient as it's pretty easy to navigate games similar to the ones you got in your library, it does so automatically. I think that the biggest advantage of Steam is the sales. The biggest downside, the censorship for the 18+ works.

What I got from this thread is that Valve and Steam have psychic abilities and are brain washing people.

>Do you believe gaves really do have x million players?

Yes. And even if all these millions of players stopped playing the game after some years, the company who made the game still made a butt load of money.
I don't know why you think it's so impossible for a game to sell millions of copies and have a really large user base.

>We talked to a psychologist

Well I talked to a drunk guy on the street, it's his word against yours mate.

>people tend to stay on steam for the game but thats because they brought the game

Well no fucking shit.
How is this a bad thing?
Just because you need to own Steam to play games does not, in any way, shape or form mean Steam is a bad platform.

>Steam is making better and newer games while still making players have unplayed brought games.

So fucking what? People choose to buy whatever they want, even if they don't play it.
The act of buying is what supports a product, not the act of playing it after you buy it.
I love the fact that you think Steam putting out new products while they already have tons of other products is somehow a bad thing. Seriously, do you even market?

>certain people believe that everyone use steam (which no one can prove)

I won't say literally everybody uses Steam, but it's undeniable that Steam has a huge chunk of the online gaming market and gaming community.
Your denial of this by simply saying "no one can prove it" is absolutely retarded and ignorant.

>i know people from other countries and they dont know what steam application is, they thought it was something to do with steam.

Well good thing Google exists where you can learn what Steam is.
Did you know I didn't know what Youtube was in middle school? Youtube is evil confirmededededed!!!11!!

>Google is where the answer can be found, steam's keywords involved "steam, valve, greenlight, and (english game here)" but not native words

That's because it would be really retarded for "Steam" to pop up when you search for vapor on Google.
You need to understand the company name "Steam" is a PERSONAL NOUN, IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE TRANSLATED.
When you talk about Youtube to other people do you translate the word "You" and "Tube" into your native language? Unless you're retarded, you don't, because it's a company name just like Steam and Valve.

>another thing, since 95% of steam games are english (indie games included) many international users feel like its not for them. thats right, steam is not friendly to many well known gaming markets.

I'd like to know about these "many international users", because English is a widely spoken language and even with the most basic of English skills a person can enjoy a regular game.
When I was a kid I played pokemon in English despite not knowing anything about English.
I don't know why anyone would feel like something is not for them just because "it's in English". Also Steam's front page exists in many different languages, making Steam very accessible to foreigners who don't know anything about English. Just because the games themselves are English does not mean the store isn't foreigner friendly.

TL;DR You seem to have an irrational grudge with Steam which I'd love to understand but all you seem to say about it is crazy conspiracy theories with absolutely no data to back it up.

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

>another thing, since 95% of steam games are english (indie games included) many international users feel like its not for them. thats right, steam is not friendly to many well known gaming markets.

I'd like to know about these "many international users", because English is a widely spoken language and even with the most basic of English skills a person can enjoy a regular game.
When I was a kid I played pokemon in English despite not knowing anything about English.
I don't know why anyone would feel like something is not for them just because "it's in English". Also Steam's front page exists in many different languages, making Steam very accessible to foreigners who don't know anything about English. Just because the games themselves are English does not mean the store isn't foreigner friendly.

If you live in the USA or United Kingdom and don't know English after a year of living there, you should be deported. It should be mandatory to learn it if you want to survive in these countries. No need for another non-English language to be subtitled just because you are lazy to learn English, which is actually one of the easiest languages to learn according to all my foreign friends who don't have English as their first language. inb4CGisaracistmotherfucker

I like that almost all games in Steam are in English, a standard universal language because even my overseas friends who live in France or Vietnam can enjoy the same games I do and we can discuss/chat about it in the Steam discussions/chat. Imagine if all the games in Steam are all different languages (games made by Chinese devs are only in Chinese, Korean games only in Korean, Russian games only in Russian, etc)? People would be petitioning for games to be fanstranslated to their native language/English and that shit is already a pain for all of us here in the visual novel circle. 

18 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

If you live in the USA or United Kingdom and don't know English after a year of living there, you should be deported. It should be mandatory to learn it if you want to survive in these countries. No need for another non-English language to be subtitled just because you are lazy to learn English, which is actually one of the easiest languages to learn according to all my foreign friends who don't have English as their first language. inb4CGisaracistmotherfucker

This is about as relevant as your post w

What I got from this thread is that Valve and Steam have psychic abilities and are brain washing people.

TL;DR You seem to have an irrational grudge with Steam which I'd love to understand but all you seem to say about it is crazy conspiracy theories with absolutely no data to back it up.

To add a bit here: Steam isn't responsible for deciding if the games will have other languages available for the players, companies are the ones who take care of that. Your everyday indie developer is also obviously very likely not going to have enough funds to hire a translator for ten different languages. There's no reason for English not to be the main language used on games, it's our lingua franca.

2 hours ago, Satsuki said:

Again, unless you have something to back your argument up, or else, it has no value, and you simply are just talking nonsense. 

tu shade (english version = same to you)

2 hours ago, Okarin said:

I'm late for this.

Steam is yet another option for the gamer, yes, but it's one of the main ones. It's kinda convenient as it's pretty easy to navigate games similar to the ones you got in your library, it does so automatically. I think that the biggest advantage of Steam is the sales. The biggest downside, the censorship for the 18+ works.

read the propaganda post or read the whole thread to understand what we are talking about.

2 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

>Do you believe gaves really do have x million players?

Yes. And even if all these millions of players stopped playing the game after some years, the company who made the game still made a butt load of money.
I don't know why you think it's so impossible for a game to sell millions of copies and have a really large user base.

>We talked to a psychologist

Well I talked to a drunk guy on the street, it's his word against yours mate.

>people tend to stay on steam for the game but thats because they brought the game

Well no fucking shit.
How is this a bad thing?
Just because you need to own Steam to play games does not, in any way, shape or form mean Steam is a bad platform.

>Steam is making better and newer games while still making players have unplayed brought games.

So fucking what? People choose to buy whatever they want, even if they don't play it.
The act of buying is what supports a product, not the act of playing it after you buy it.
I love the fact that you think Steam putting out new products while they already have tons of other products is somehow a bad thing. Seriously, do you even market?

>certain people believe that everyone use steam (which no one can prove)

I won't say literally everybody uses Steam, but it's undeniable that Steam has a huge chunk of the online gaming market and gaming community.
Your denial of this by simply saying "no one can prove it" is absolutely retarded and ignorant.

>i know people from other countries and they dont know what steam application is, they thought it was something to do with steam.

Well good thing Google exists where you can learn what Steam is.
Did you know I didn't know what Youtube was in middle school? Youtube is evil confirmededededed!!!11!!

>Google is where the answer can be found, steam's keywords involved "steam, valve, greenlight, and (english game here)" but not native words

That's because it would be really retarded for "Steam" to pop up when you search for vapor on Google.
You need to understand the company name "Steam" is a PERSONAL NOUN, IT'S NOT MEANT TO BE TRANSLATED.
When you talk about Youtube to other people do you translate the word "You" and "Tube" into your native language? Unless you're retarded, you don't, because it's a company name just like Steam and Valve.

think about this, we do have millions of humans but we do not have millions of gamers under one synchronice time event or people wanting to always play games 24/7. its impossible to have 100 million or 10 million people under a website, its been proven time and time again that it will crash. we dont have the technology to handle that much people, there just no possible way. steam did go down once, dont say its due to a bug because its not, so if they cant handle traffic then no one can handle traffic thats a fact.

you can see his name on the newspaper, his name will be Bob, i didnt say his name because i dont believe people think hes real. Bob admits that people dont take him serious for his name, so why should i explain Bob to you, a complete stranger.

you forgetting that steam is sued by 2 countries and has games under a lock system, if steam goes out of business you lose all games and any mmo connected to steam will be lost. also you didnt get the understand behind the sentence, that leads me to believe that you a kid. let me talk to you in kid talk: you buy a xbox 360, keep the xbox 360, do not sell but look VR go buy.

again no one has proven that steam is better, its impossible to know what the sales are online without them giving a report. this will explain why online retail is a mystery.

i said "steam application" which is the ->application <-, the thing that valve forces you to play games. maybe that was too much a big word for any kid.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/application

7. Computers A computer program designed for a specific task or use.

you fail to understand google so here is a video explain what SEO is about:

thats what i mean, kid you haven't experience what it is liked to move into another state or country. there are so many microaggressions in the world its almost feels bad. also google microaggressions if you cant understand the word.

Same for me? I gave you a clear evidence with those statistics, which you just desperately bashed them aside for no reason. Unless you can prove that my data is wrong, or else, it remains true, and you are still talking nonsense.

And I don't give a damn about how WoT doesn't have millions players or what, one is wrong doesn't mean everything else is wrong too.

You want Steam's sales report? Hell, even if someone managed to drag Gaben in here and blackmailed him to show you the sales report, you will just say that "it's fake" or "it's unreliable" anyway.

@firecat

My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.

[Abandons thread]

1 hour ago, Satsuki said:

Same for me? I gave you a clear evidence with those statistics, which you just desperately bashed them aside for no reason. Unless you can prove that my data is wrong, or else, it remains true, and you are still talking nonsense.

And I don't give a damn about how WoT doesn't have millions players or what, one is wrong doesn't mean everything else is wrong too.

You want Steam's sales report? Hell, even if someone managed to drag Gaben in here and blackmailed him to show you the sales report, you will just say that "it's fake" or "it's unreliable" anyway.

@firecat

My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.

[Abandons thread]

by the way happy national opposite day, everything you type is opposite. so ya good job satsuki for admitting your guilt and i didn't give you cancer nosebleed.

2 hours ago, firecat said:

think about this, we do have millions of humans but we do not have millions of gamers under one synchronice time event or people wanting to always play games 24/7. 

Unsubstantiated statement.

its impossible to have 100 million or 10 million people under a website, its been proven time and time again that it will crash.

Unsubstantiated AND false, so that's pretty nice.

we dont have the technology to handle that much people, there just no possible way.

Unsubstantiated claim. False also.

steam did go down once, dont say its due to a bug because its not, so if they cant handle traffic then no one can handle traffic thats a fact.

Linking Steam going down once with an inability to ever handle a specific load without any additional information is what the scientific community calls 'a guess.'

you forgetting that steam is sued by 2 countries and has games under a lock system, if steam goes out of business you lose all games and any mmo connected to steam will be lost.

Blizzard was sued in Korea, and they somehow managed to stay standing. I don't know how such a multi-billion dollar organisation will ever handle the devastation of being sued not once, but TWICE.

again no one has proven that steam is better, its impossible to know what the sales are online without them giving a report. this will explain why online retail is a mystery.

And you haven't proved Steam is worse. You've ranted a lot, about stuff which matters little, but it's contained little actual substance.

26 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Unsubstantiated statement.

Unsubstantiated AND false, so that's pretty nice.

Unsubstantiated claim. False also.

Linking Steam going down once with an inability to ever handle a specific load without any additional information is what the scientific community calls 'a guess.'

Blizzard was sued in Korea, and they somehow managed to stay standing. I don't know how such a multi-billion dollar organisation will ever handle the devastation of being sued not once, but TWICE.

And you haven't proved Steam is worse. You've ranted a lot, about stuff which matters little, but it's contained little actual substance.

and you say i'm wrong, everything you just said is wrong and this is just one sentence. legal stuff is tricky, there never is a clear winner so forget everything you never known about legal system because people did get away with killing someone. i did prove that steam is bad but you hate to admit the truth just like how religion people hate the truth about jesus being a zombie (like come on, he die 3 times that should never happen).

35 minutes ago, Satsuki said:

What, can't argue so now trying to talk in a way no one can understand?

it really is opposite day

here domino's supports my claim https://twitter.com/dominos

1 minute ago, firecat said:

and you say i'm wrong, everything you just said is wrong and this is just one sentence.

Nup. Once again - you're wrong.

2 minutes ago, firecat said:

legal stuff is tricky, there never is a clear winner so forget everything you never known about legal system because people did get away with killing someone.

Generic statement which is irrelevant unless you show specifically how it relates to the case in question.

i did prove that steam is bad

No you didn't.

but you hate to admit the truth

Unsubstantiated claim... about me, which is something I should know about more than you.

Furthermore, it's possible to get 10 million concurrent connections from a single server, so to say that '10 million people will crash a website for sure, without a doubt, you could have as many servers as you want it won't matter' is obviously dodgy.

7 minutes ago, firecat said:

it really is opposite day

Pretty much. Although applying it to your title would make it ... Steam is special and not just another website. I suppose that's a bit boring and cliche though, eh, c'est la vie.

The Jesus comment by firecat has now proven to me that he is not real and is indeed a troll who has kept this shenanigan up for more than a year. I really wanted to believe that you are truly insane, but this is the icing on the cake.

I think the best part about all of this is that while firecat is trolling us, we are trolling him for being a troll, which makes it that much more pleasant. :Kappa:

1 hour ago, Rooke said:

Nup. Once again - you're wrong.

Generic statement which is irrelevant unless you show specifically how it relates to the case in question.

No you didn't.

Unsubstantiated claim... about me, which is something I should know about more than you.

Furthermore, it's possible to get 10 million concurrent connections from a single server, so to say that '10 million people will crash a website for sure, without a doubt, you could have as many servers as you want it won't matter' is obviously dodgy.

Pretty much. Although applying it to your title would make it ... Steam is special and not just another website. I suppose that's a bit boring and cliche though, eh, c'est la vie.

all i know is that you hate me, which leads people to not trust anything about him/her. its sad to see how much hate you have on me for something so simple, maybe you can call this peer pressure. if you stop the hate you lose credit on the forum. its very sad how things when for you, we all dont hate users on this forum but continue to do so will just end on a bad taste. unlike you i dont care about credit i'm too old for that, everything and everything you youngers try to do will not work.

also you got to admit, the legal system is 50/50 you cant win or lose.

all i know is that you hate Steam, which leads people to not trust anything about you. its sad to see how much hate you have on Steam for something so simple, maybe you can call this peer pressure. if you stop the hate you lose credit on the forum. its very sad how things when for you, we all but you dont hate Steam on this forum but continue to do so will just end on a bad taste. unlike you i dont care about credit i'm too old for that, everything and everything you youngster try to do will not work.

13 minutes ago, firecat said:

all i know is that you hate me, which leads people to not trust anything about him/her. its sad to see how much hate you have on me for something so simple, maybe you can call this peer pressure. if you stop the hate you lose credit on the forum. its very sad how things when for you, we all dont hate users on this forum but continue to do so will just end on a bad taste. unlike you i dont care about credit i'm too old for that, everything and everything you youngers try to do will not work.

On a related matter, if you would please take my hateful nature up with @Tay maybe he’ll see fit to finally change my username to "Darth Rooke", like I've always wanted. If you did this you'd have my gratitude. Not enough for me to actually be ‘fond’ of you, because like you said – I obviously hate you. But being ‘fond’ of people wouldn’t be appropriate for one of the Dark Side anyway.