VN Review : Killer Queen

NukeExplodes

Today I'm going to talk about a certain visual novel that failed to impress me as much as I thought it would.The title says it,it's one of my two last visual novels of 2016...Killer Queen.A doujin visual novel made in 2006,with a remake in 2008 and sequels in 2011 and 2013.It's one of the earlier visual novels to take on the same theme as 'Battle Royale',and is actually a bit closer to the original.In this visual novel,13 people are abducted and locked inside an abandoned building with explosive collars fitted around their necks.They each have a PDA with a playing card from A to K and each player has a different release condition.If they fulfill their release condition during the 72 hours they are given,they can take off their collar and can get out of the building,and also win a large sum of money.However,if they don't fulfill their condition within the 72 hours,their collars will explode and they will lose. 
I think that's enough synopsis,so let's get to the actual review.

Story (7/10)
The story interested me very much.It had some expected twists,and some quite unexpected ones.Many parts of the story caught me by surprise.
However,there are two things I very much didn't like in this game.The first thing is that the endings were bad.The first episode ended with a sex scene (something I hate) and the second episode ended with 

Spoiler

the villain getting forgiven by the protagonist.Titular villain killed at least half of the people in the game.

Anybody who has read my Ever 17 review knows how much I hate a good ending in a story where there are lots of depressing parts.Ever 17 was a particular case where I could forgive that,but here...it was too bad.The first ending was a bit better than the second one,but it still was unsatisfying.The second one,as I said,is the reason I didn't get impressed by this game.
The second thing I hated in this game was the fact that it was a kinetic novel.Although it was split in two episodes,with the second one being an alternative to the second one,it deserved routes. There were more interesting characters than the four characters who got explored the most,those four characters being Sakumi,Karin and Nagisa in the first episode and Yuki in the second. I won't really talk about this here,but in the 'Characters' section.

Art (5/10)
The art was lacking.For a visual novel like this,art would be making it much better,since there are many visual novels with better art and a terrible story.I am going to compare the art to the art in 07th Expansion games here,and unlike it,the art in Killer Queen has no emotion to it.However,it gets improved in the remakes.

Sound (6/10)
The sound was nothing too special.It had some memorable tracks,but most of it was plain boring,shit-tier music.Not to be too harsh on it,but I really didn't like the music.As for the voice acting,it was good for a doujin made in 2006.

Characters (6/10)
The main issue I had with this game.The characters were a bunch of people you couldn't care about,since they didn't get the character development they should have.Victims of this include Reika,Fumika and Takayama,and possibly Gouda.This happens in both episodes. Reika gets more of it in the second episode,I mean,at least in the first episode we

Spoiler

got to see the fact that she was just another person turned 'evil' because of pressure and the want to escape.

And my favorite character was Yuki.Not because she was interesting,but because I could see a lot of her deal right before it happened.

Spoiler

I mean her being a total bitch cause she was raped by her dad as a child and some other rape shit in the actual game.

And then there's Nagasawa,the most unlikable character in the game.A wimp who's even worse than Yuki.
However,there were three characters I could like.They were Nagisa,Karin and Hazuki,and maybe even Sakumi.

Enjoyment (4/10)
No,I didn't enjoy it.I wanted Killer Queen to end as fast as it could.

Overall (6/10)
Although it tackled Battle Royale before 999 and Danganronpa,it was far worse.The characters,especially

Spoiler

the protagonist

pissed me off.The story was rushed.Never wanna play it again.

Yeah, Killer Queen was pretty shitty. The concept could be interesting, and especially the first episode had some interesting moments, but overall it wasn't anywhere as good as it could be.

The second episode was exceptionally shit, since it focused more on pedophile-pandering bullshit than the actual horror and suspense part. There was ONE good twist in the entire game, and that's

Spoiler

how they explained Yuki being able to take off her collar as there never being a rule that you could not meddle with the collar but most people thinking there WAS such a rule due to the collars exploding when messed with in Battle Royale, the novel from which the collar concept was taken.

That shit was fucking GENIUS. One of the best twists I've ever seen.

43 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Hide contents

how they explained Yuki being able to take off her collar as there never being a rule that you could not meddle with the collar but most people thinking there WAS such a rule due to the collars exploding when messed with in Battle Royale, the novel from which the collar concept was taken.

Yep,that was one of the best twists in the game.And probably the only one I liked besides 

Spoiler

Nagisa being a game master.

3 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Yeah, Killer Queen was pretty shitty. The concept could be interesting, and especially the first episode had some interesting moments, but overall it wasn't anywhere as good as it could be.

The second episode was exceptionally shit, since it focused more on pedophile-pandering bullshit than the actual horror and suspense part. There was ONE good twist in the entire game, and that's

Reveal hidden contents

I agree with you. The story/Battle Royale concept felt like it could be interesting, but it was nowehere near as good as I thought it would be. Episode 2 was just wrong, where the main character almost becomes some sort of paedophile with the girl, that was so squicky :(