Visual Novel Kinks, Tropes, Cliches, Stereotypes, and Common Logic Flaws you are tired of seeing

CeruleanGamer

1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

got another.

really, really, really, really, really, stubborn heroines.

im reading a vn right now and the heroine is literally blowing the guy, willingly, and claims to have no feelings for him. its just a reward for something trivial.

holding hands? might like the guy

kissing? she likes the guy.

sex? she really likes the guy.

blowing? WHATS THE POINT IN DENYING IT AT THIS POINT!!! 

The guys probably thinking at this point "I may be wrong about this, but I think she really likes me, but I'm nor sure."

7 hours ago, DarkZedge said:

I'll leave this here

778724-jpg.57087

iecw.jpg

Perfect example of being completely unrealistically amazing in bed for being a first timer.

25 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

WATERSPORTS.  I HATE watersports so much, and it's everywhere.  I just want it to stop and for the characters to only have sex that involves the normal bodily fluids necessary for that to happen  ;-;

fucking pleb

Almost every hated trope for me has been mentioned, but ill mention them anyway lol.

Grisaia killed the school setting for me, for good.

comedy common route, serious heroine routes.

Comedy only common routes fucking bore me to tears, its the same comedy clichees over and over and over and over again.

anything else has been said that I hate, apart from the obvious mindless protagonist, thank god I almost only read vns with proactive protags. I had more than enough dense motherfuckers in harem animees.

2 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

anything else has been said that I hate, apart from the obvious mindless protagonist, thank god I almost only read vns with proactive protags. I had more than enough dense motherfuckers in harem animees.

I used to hate donkan protags, but recently I found myself preferring them to most "proactive" protags, because being "proactive" more often than not means also being a complete and utter twat. I'd rather have another donkan than another Yuuji.

2 minutes ago, Ariurotl said:

I used to hate donkan protags, but recently I found myself preferring them to most "proactive" protags, because being "proactive" more often than not means also being a complete and utter twat. I'd rather have another donkan than another Yuuji.

I dont mind twats tbh, hence why akihito from coµ is one of my favorite protags lel

47 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

- Insanely long h-scenes, maybe this speaks more of my ability to preform, but some of these sex scenes go on forever without any changing cg art and the dialogue can be painfully repetitive.

Nope, it has nothing about your ability to perform. Reference my "Needs to be like Sting to fuck like that" statement. The vast majority of people are not Kama Sutra/Tantric masters. Depending on a girls' energy level and willingness she may be able to go for awhile, but not all women are lucky to be blessed with easy multiple orgasms, and most guys need time to recharge to get a good second round going. (A lot of girls need some extra time for that second jolt as well, if the guy can manage to make it happen.) It generally leads to very boring sex in that case. Guy is trying to keep his second hard-on from failing while girl is thinking about what groceries she needs to buy and hopes he isn't rubbing her too raw down there.

And I've yet to read good dialogue in h-scenes. Give "Endless Summer" credit - they just flash through one or two h-scenes with no dialogue and you know the protagonist and heroine had sex.

Just now, Vorathiel said:

So maybe not good, but not awful as usual? Anything above average swamp?

I have to think hard, as after about the fifth bad dialogue set I now tend to just check out the h-scene(s) and skip the text.

I guess some of Grisaia's sex dialogue was okay... maybe? I didn't read it too thoroughly.

1. Most of the protagonists either lost their parents, or their parents are going on a veeeeeery long trip around the world. In other words, protagonist's parents aren't even in the story 99% of the time. It is like the parents don't even care of their own son in most of the VNs. 

2. Every protagonist have a perverted male friend who have a crush on one of the heroines, and whenever he sees the protagonist getting close with another heroine, says 'goddamit, why don't you even share me one of your harem?'

3. Every childhood friend tsundere heroine always abuse the protagonist with 'you'll never get a girlfriend'. And they act like second mom to the protagonist as well. Not to mention that they have gotten into the bath together when they're small. 

4. The protagonist always mention that his childhood friend heroine had a flat chest and looked like a boy back then, then when they meet up again, the heroine become smoking hot. And again, that 'childhood promise' thing. 

1 hour ago, Vorathiel said:

Never seen this. Any examples?

It feels like a case of 'you're on a course for one person's route, but it's still the common route and somehow you managed to swap routes after a date due to a confusion of programming or route mapping in the web of choices.  Either that or School days like that one person said, where the protagonist is just a bastard.

17 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I loved Grisaia's common route. Maybe I'm a sucker for that kind of comedy, but I was laughing at it every 5 minutes.

The common route in Grisaia is one of the best I've read and it's the highlight of that VN. Wish they had put as much effort in the endings.

Just now, Valmore said:

The common route in Grisaia is one of the best I've read and it's the highlight of that VN. Wish they had put as much effort in the endings.

I quite liked the endings. Sure, a couple of them were a little weak, but they weren't horrible like another route's in another visual novel (Fal's route in Symphonic Rain).

Tropes should be used as tools, means of telling a story or developing a character. People have a tendency to confuse them as an end to themselves. A trope without a story or a character is a pretty boring thing.

I like to think this way: If you had to choose between a perfect story, that utilizes lots of tropes and cliches and an ambitious story, which breaks all the rules but is shit in terms of quality, what do you read? 

A great way to keep things fresh, is to subvert or play around a little. For example, I would like to see the girl walk in on the guy more often (that probably happens a lot in otome, but whatever.) 

Just imagine, the girl is about to be banging against the guy's door (probably because he did something stupid again), but the door wasn't fully closed and she falls into the room, landing on top of him.

Spoiler

dduurr5prs5.jpg

The directions this could lead into are endless. Let's look at three of them now:

1. Sex

2. The girl changes the atmosphere and kills the mood by yelling "My real childhood friend has a scar under his left nipple! Who are you and what did you do with him?!"

3. She runs out of the room and throughout the rest of the VN, she'll try to spy on the Protagonist during sports or swimming class. (It's even funnier if they don't explain why she does it, let the readers connect the dots on their own)

I really liked that one scene in Grisaia, when Yuuji found Amane changing in his room and he just wanted her to leave. That was amazing.

1 hour ago, TexasDice said:

I really liked that one scene in Grisaia, when Yuuji found Amane changing in his room and he just wanted her to leave. That was amazing.

Exactly.

Similarly, I really loved the other scene when Yuuji found her "playing" with his bedsheets :makina:

And the famous "running" song. So hilarious. One of my best moments in this legendary common route 8)

Spoiler

Makina: Suou Amane's a ♥♥♥♥♥ in a heat ~♪
Makina: Rolling around in a man's bedsheets ~♪
Yuuji: Good for you!
Makina: Good for me ~♪

Edit : Thanks Kiriririri ;)

Edited by Canicheslayer
Ouch.

5 minutes ago, Canicheslayer said:

Exactly. And I really loved the famous "running" sing. So hilarious. One of my best moments in this legendary common route 8)

Reveal hidden contents

http://puu.sh/mBtDD.mp3 

1 hour ago, TexasDice said:

Tropes should be used as tools, means of telling a story or developing a character. People have a tendency to confuse them as an end to themselves. A trope without a story or a character is a pretty boring thing.

I like to think this way: If you had to choose between a perfect story, that utilizes lots of tropes and cliches and an ambitious story, which breaks all the rules but is shit in terms of quality, what do you read? 

A great way to keep things fresh, is to subvert or play around a little. For example, I would like to see the girl walk in on the guy more often (that probably happens a lot in otome, but whatever.) 

Just imagine, the girl is about to be banging against the guy's door (probably because he did something stupid again), but the door wasn't fully closed and she falls into the room, landing on top of him.

Reveal hidden contents

dduurr5prs5.jpg

The directions this could lead into are endless. Let's look at three of them now:

1. Sex

2. The girl changes the atmosphere and kills the mood by yelling "My real childhood friend has a scar under his left nipple! Who are you and what did you do with him?!"

3. She runs out of the room and throughout the rest of the VN, she'll try to spy on the Protagonist during sports or swimming class. (It's even funnier if they don't explain why she does it, let the readers connect the dots on their own)

Grisaia is a special case to be sure. But for usual vn's. I can already see it. Girl walks in on guy changing and gets beet red and start yelling "hentai" etcetcetc and the guy gets a scolding from his harem right afterwards.

2 hours ago, Canicheslayer said:

Exactly.

Reveal hidden contents

Similarly, I really loved the other scene when Yuuji found her "playing" with his bedsheets :makina:

And the famous "running" song. So hilarious. One of my best moments in this legendary common route 8)

Reveal hidden contents

Edit : Thanks Kiriririri ;)

Grisaia just does a lot right when it comes to comedy. It's filled with hilarious moments.

21 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

WATERSPORTS.  I HATE watersports so much, and it's everywhere.  I just want it to stop and for the characters to only have sex that involves the normal bodily fluids necessary for that to happen  ;-;

I read a lot of nukige, and they are pretty much everywhere there. Not fond of it either especially if it involves DRINKING.