Visual Novel Kinks, Tropes, Cliches, Stereotypes, and Common Logic Flaws you are tired of seeing

CeruleanGamer

food discussion, I came to hate this, I really cant stand it anymore, every time someone starts talking about food or anything related to that, for example, what they are going to cook, what ingredients will they buy to make some special dish etc etc I skip it, I don't give a crap if it is important or not.

Also butlers and waitress characters (the whole servant thing), I don't know why is there such a huge obsession for this trope in Japan, I don't have anything against those professions in particular but come on there are entire vns revolving around only those themes! Why? why is this even a thing?? I can understand 2 o 3 or in nukige vns...but come on, look at this:
https://vndb.org/g1294
https://vndb.org/g1636
https://vndb.org/g640
https://vndb.org/g469
https://vndb.org/g1599
https://vndb.org/g829

22 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

food discussion, I came to hate this, I really cant stand it anymore, every time someone starts talking about food or anything related to that, for example, what they are going to cook, what ingredients will they buy to make some special dish etc etc I skip it, I don't give a crap if it is important or not.

This is because the Japanese are a foodie nation, they're obsessed by food. To give you some background... no, forget that, I'm sick of it too. MASH SKIP BUTTON NOW.

@the_dive For Tokyo Babel, let my comment about setting back in Tokyo Babel thread speak for itself.

A little nitpick from me, why the purgatory must be modeled after Tokyo and why the settlement must be high school instead of said resort or something like office lol. Although I understand the trope called Tokyo is Center of Universe though (But I prefer to use the world as the model and modeled purgatory stratum after major city in the world though, if you ask my opinion) and for school thing, let's just said that I also understand that they probably thinking the target market was high school student, so it's normal that they made school setting I think (But I understand if some people want to complained about school setting though). Anyway, it's not like major flaw anyway, so it's fine.

Although you prefer community college, but I said resort because well, just look at Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort waitress uniform to know why I recommended resort for Tokyo Babel. And for office I think it should be logical enough. But it's just a little nitpicking from me though, and I didn't bother with the high school in Tokyo Babel anyway once again.

@Deep Blue The reason was maybe they want to following Hayate no Gotoku and Black Butler manga success and had many VN in Japan copied the butler concept from those 2 mangas who had concept butler. Just my opinion here, okay.

20 minutes ago, ittaku said:

This is because the Japanese are a foodie nation, they're obsessed by food. To give you some background... no, forget that, I'm sick of it too. MASH SKIP BUTTON NOW.

That's something we have in common with the japanese, I find it natural in everyday life discussions.

I have a guess to why developers of visual novels are so fond of the school setting. Because it's cheap. Draw a classroom, hallway, infirmary, rooftop and everything is ready. Univercity life is more complex and costly to recreate. The pure simple repetitive school art is the ideal choice for saving.

6 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

6 hours ago, ittaku said:

You people are cray-cray, food talk is awesome. I could make, eat and talk about food all day.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 3:19 AM, Deep Blue said:

This. I didn't consciously realize it until you pointed it out but I always just quickly skim through those parts of VNs.

Foreshadowing.
Like again, in one of the worst written/directed 'big' VNs I've read - infamous Grisaia.
Makina route. Yuuji got to know her past. And then he is sitting and thinking to himself about her. for fewteen minutes he is thinking 'she was thorugh this and this and that, and then she went there and was ding that. because of that she was this and went that and all of suden this and that happened'. And that's it, now I know her whole story. And now, right after that, there is 'retrospection' sequence which is going through the same events I just got to know from Yuujis thoughts, but with more details and with narration focused on Makina.
So what was the point of this foreshadowing? To kill the mood/emotions in this retrospection? To 'soften' the shock? Then why even bother writting 'shocking' events?
But enough about Grisaia.

Foreshadowing is pretty comon thing in vn/anime/manga, and it's infuriating. Shocking scenes works, because they're sudden and surprising. Telling the audiences what is going to happen next is just wrong, it's just bad writting.

Well, pretty much all my pet peeves have already been stated in this thread in one way or another:

• Highschool Settings
  • Various Harem/Moege tropes where the protaganist is unfairly called or treated as a pervert
  • Melodrama for the sake of melodrama
  • When a character's "character" doesn't grow outside of their archtype
  • Semen fountains (I'm not talking about the amount portrayed as much as the amount of times a MC can pop off in one session)
  • Formulatic H-scenes

There are plenty of other stuff but those are the big ones for me.

Edit: That reminds me, especially for the 2nd bullet point, this happens ALOT in the particular route in what i'm reading now. Like honestly, I don't see the point in being overly embarrassed and shouting "KYAAAAAAAAAA" with some subsequent "Hentai, ecchi, etc", and maybe a slap towards the protaganist just because you "accidently" change in front of him, and he see's you naked (Mind you, this is not too long after a pretty thorough h-scene where he basically does the full course on her). I mean the moe of the "Shyness" is alright the first time, but when its repeated so often, it kind of looses its luster for me.

Edited by FontSize72LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I thought of another one kind of falling under "logic flaws" this goes with anime mostly since it is better to actually see the animation but it is also in some visual novels.  I can handle the unlimited clips of ammo and 100 bullets in a magazine but what bothers me is that the person sits right out in the open and gets 1000 bullets shot at  them and not even moving and not one bullet hits them.

3 hours ago, Justin579 said:

I can handle the unlimited clips of ammo and 100 bullets in a magazine but what bothers me is that the person sits right out in the open and gets 1000 bullets shot at  them and not even moving and not one bullet hits them.

You're a better man than I am. I get irritated at all of those things :( 

6 hours ago, Justin579 said:

I thought of another one kind of falling under "logic flaws" this goes with anime mostly since it is better to actually see the animation but it is also in some visual novels.  I can handle the unlimited clips of ammo and 100 bullets in a magazine but what bothers me is that the person sits right out in the open and gets 1000 bullets shot at  them and not even moving and not one bullet hits them.

Actually, little known fact is that they are in fact hitting the protagonist. It's just that he's being protected by an impenetrable armor known as Plot Armor.

• 2 months later...

After testing a few hours of Kindred spirits on the Roof or Flowers, something clicked inside my little brain : I can't fully enjoy Girls Only (or Boys only) settings (in school VNs, for example).

I can appreciate/like a yuri character/route but I really need a minimum of "gender diversity". At least one or two men/women important character(s) in a female/male environment or cast...Princess Evangile for example.

Edited by Canicheslayer
clarification

20 minutes ago, Canicheslayer said:

After testing a few hours of Kindred spirits on the Roof or Flowers, someting clicked inside my little brain : I can't fully enjoy Girls Only (or Boys only) settings. Especially for school VNs.

I can appreciate/like a yuri character/route but I prefer a minimum of "gender diversity". At least one or two men/women main character(s) in a female/male environment or cast...Princess Evangile for example.

I'm sort of okay with girls only or boys only, but really only when it's justified by the school setting, in most other ones it wouldn't make any sense. What I can't stand is when there's only one boy and a bunch of girls or the other way around. Like, even if they're unimportant side characters, it's nice to see a more even mix if only because it goes a long way towards making the setting feel more realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/18/2016 at 5:11 AM, Canicheslayer said:

After testing a few hours of Kindred spirits on the Roof or Flowers, someting clicked inside my little brain : I can't fully enjoy Girls Only (or Boys only) settings (in school VNs, for example).

I can appreciate/like a yuri character/route but I prefer a minimum of "gender diversity". At least one or two men/women main character(s) in a female/male environment or cast...Princess Evangile for example.

Still better than Nurse Love Addiction, what the fuck was that? I can appreciate a weird alternative universe in which there is only the female gender and they can somehow produce sexually, but Jesus, you can't just blindside someone and only have that revelation at an ending. 

Gotta be protagonist with no balls.

I'm so sick of guys who are insecure, afraid, or get all nervous over anything.  It really ruined my overall enjoyment of Muv-Luv alternative.  I mean seriously, what guy goes around cowering and passing out for 90% of the VN and letting girls save his ass over and over and getting people get killed over your fuck ups.... ugh.  Funny thing is I really enjoy mech vn but man that protag.

Probably why I liked Clannad and Rewrite, just cause the protagonist isn't a little bitch :mare:  I typically don't like those type of VN either.

Characters that are attached to dumb things and sacrifice their whole living time to them.
You know, like in Hoshimemo Aoi (main spoiler for her route)

Spoiler

was watching a sky [thorugh broken telescope]  every night, because 'memerioes of her childhood home'.

Or like Michiru in Air is loving soap bubbles because her friend showed her that, and that's basically it, in terms of her character.
Basically situations when girl getS something from protag, and kept this little junk for years. And when protag came back to his hometown years later, she still have this thing and adores it daily, waiting for once again use this together with him. Or something similiary stupid.

People who just stuck to one thing. Human beings aren't like that. You have to had some sort of autism, or other mental disability to be able to be so focused and absorbed by meaningless, boring thing. But vns seems to be filled with heroines like that.
[I have a theory that japanesse people/vn readers love girls on the verge of mental disability, and every little thing I came across is proving that... like how always awkward they're positioning themselves on sprites and cgs. Or - those 'silly' jokes, when protag is telling girl that he lost his wallet at south pole and then she run off, gets into the bus and start a trip and then suddenly she thinks 'but south pole is far away', etc]