Visual Novel Kinks, Tropes, Cliches, Stereotypes, and Common Logic Flaws you are tired of seeing

CeruleanGamer

36 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

In my experience, it typically goes like

[Random kissing ensues]
Female A: "Protag-kun, I feel something hard against me"
Male A: "I don't know how that happened."
Female A: "It looks painful, I'll relieve it for you"
[Oral sex follows]
Male A: "I'm sorry I ejaculated all over your face, here's a tiss- oh wait you're eating it all up, why are you doing that pls stop"
Female A: "It's okay, it tastes good because it's yours. But it looks like you're still hard, which is physically impossible, guess I have no choice but to have sex with you now even though I'm a virgin and know nothing about sex"
Male A: "Guess it can't be helped"
[Virgin protag proceeds to display his amazing sex prowess while the girl enjoys having her vagina bleed to death]

Omg im dying here. Make it stop! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

1 hour ago, Dergonu said:

Haha. Totally true of course; who the hell has an exciting high-school life? :makina:

I guess the idea was that it would appeal to the reader. Like, "Hey, you're in high-school right? Well! Guess what! So is this main character, and he gets all the pretty girls!"

But... 18 year-old is usually AFTER high-school, right? At least I went to school when I was 7 year-old and when I was 17 my high-school ended and I was already enrolled in university... So all that means all VNs are made for losers, to see how much they should be loved by girls in their high-school??? :)

2 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

5. [MOTHER FUCKING SAKURA PETALS EVERY FUCKING WHERE I CAN'T EVEN SEE 5 FT IN FRONT OF ME]

6. Ejaculating inside and never getting anyone pregnant. Because it's a safe day every day of the month.

7. "Asspussy". No. It's an ass.

8. "Mouthpussy". No. It's a mouth.

9. "*anything*pussy". Go fuck yourself.

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

In my experience, it typically goes like

[Random kissing ensues]
Female A: "Protag-kun, I feel something hard against me"
Male A: "I don't know how that happened."
Female A: "It looks painful, I'll relieve it for you"
[Oral sex follows]
Male A: "I'm sorry I ejaculated all over your face, here's a tiss- oh wait you're eating it all up, why are you doing that pls stop"
Female A: "It's okay, it tastes good because it's yours. But it looks like you're still hard, which is physically impossible, guess I have no choice but to have sex with you now even though I'm a virgin and know nothing about sex"
Male A: "Guess it can't be helped"
[Virgin protag proceeds to display his amazing sex prowess while the girl enjoys having her vagina bleed to death]

I'm fucking Dying from these ones. People in my class think I'm insane at the moment.

Anyways, most of the cliches I hate have already been mentioned but I guess I'll list them.

1. Tsunderes that have immeasurable strength and can kick the protagonist's ass no matter how strong they are. Seriously, how in the hell can a loli that looks 5 years old kick a grown teenager's ass?

2. Random h scenes- Don't get me wrong, I love h scenes but seeing 8 h scenes for one character is pretty ridiculous. Personally, the excessive sex belongs in nukiges and shouldn't come anywhere near the plot (not that kind of plot, you pervs).

3. When guys can still ejaculate tons after blowing their load 8 times. It's pretty stupid in my eyes when a guy can still spray a fountain after going that long.

4. Seeing the same dialogue everywhere in h scenes. At first, when I first discovered hentai, it was great to listen to, but now after seeing the exact same dialogue in every single h scene makes it sound like the developers don't care for these scenes and just throw them in to get the eroge crowd.

5. Unrealistic breast sizes- I'm a Kyonyuu guy who can get into Pettanko and regular sized, but eventually the realism gets to me when every single girl seems like they break their back everytime they walk or that the girl has aged but their chest still is at age 5.

1 hour ago, gijimu said:

Is it just me, or whenever the protagonist passionately kiss a heroine, it always lead to sex?

Like, oh yeah! We kissed! Now I accept it as a sign that you've surrendered your body and soul.

They even do it at the public places.

Girls inviting themselves into the protagonists room/apartment to live there without his consent. He just agrees and readily gives away his bed or has it hijacked (this is always described, probably Japanese readers probably get off by being overly chivalrous or something). Fuck you bitch!, you can sleep by my side if you want, but if you're too much of a princess, get on the floor or on the sofa or go home.

I like you > i love you > kiss > fuck.. All in the span of a few minutes. Pretty ridiculous

And when vn's go overboard with heroines explaining how it's their first time.... At EVERYTHING!

3 hours ago, CeruleanGamer said:

2. Protagonist walks into a room, sees a heroine naked - "Ecchi, hentai, baka, baka!!!!!" Poor, innocent protagonist is now labeled a pervert. Good bye logic? Wait... Bitch, why don't you lock the room if you don't want to be seen especially if you are aware that a man is in the house?

This is very true but it's also an overall anime trope/cliche as many of these are, though it's fair to be expected since vn's and anime share a ton together

3 hours ago, CeruleanGamer said:

4. Alone/Unhappy protagonist - Maybe a good 95% VN protagonists start out as a single man, poor, loner, and/or a virgin. Can there be a vn where the protagonist is already successful and actually a socialite? It might look like there's not much to work with the story, but successful, rich socialites have problems too you know.

Akihito from Coμ - Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku - he wasn't "successful" but he didn't suffer from this overall trope

Komyu.-.Kuroi.Ryuu.To.Yasashii.Oukoku.-.

Because it can never be said enough:

Guys do not ejaculate massive amounts of semen during sex. Your typical male spurts out about a teaspoon of semen. Not nearly enough to drench the poor heroine in a sea of briny cum.

Most guys are not going to be able to have sex 2-4 times in one session. Especially not virgin protagonists. You have to be like Sting to be able to fuck like that. Most guys are not Sting. They need time to recharge. AND, even if the guy does manage a second go-round, he does NOT spurt forth even more semen than the first time. It's almost always less.

Cum together? Right now? No, just me. (The Beatles would kill me.) It's very rare the two people rutting manage to cum together. And it's also really hard to try and time it by holding back just so it can happen. It's stupid. Know what happens? One person cums at a time. If it's the guy then hopefully the girl has already came, otherwise she may end up disappointed. If it's the girl, she can hope for a multiple, or endure the guy until he finally climaxes.

Phrases never heard from the girl during sex: "Your cum, it's so warm." "Let's cum together." "You're tearing me apart, but since it's you I can bear it." "Fill me with your love juices." "It's so big."

5 hours ago, CeruleanGamer said:

4. Alone/Unhappy protagonist - Maybe a good 95% VN protagonists start out as a single man, poor, loner, and/or a virgin. Can there be a vn where the protagonist is already successful and actually a socialite? It might look like there's not much to work with the story, but successful, rich socialites have problems too you know. :amane: 

This isn't correct... about 90% of all VN protagonists are the 'happy idiot who can make friends with anyone', 'pretending to be cool and collected but is secretly just like the happy idiot', or 'changes depending on the heroine because he doesn't have a personality' type.  I just want the protagonist to be intelligent and capable of moving the situation without being an idiot...  I get tired of all the 'nekketsu' moments and I'm equally tired of all the idiots/average guys they have as protagonists in general.

Only trope I actually hate is the good old "Oblivious to love".

Sure you gotta wade through the common route somehow. Sure there might be a harem and you can't exactly lock after three scenes.

It's justified in some cases, but I found these to be on the slim side.

Say yes, say no, but don't pussyfoot around things for too long.

Bottom line, I don't like half-assed characters.

2 hours ago, Valmore said:

Because it can never be said enough:

Guys do not ejaculate massive amounts of semen during sex. Your typical male spurts out about a teaspoon of semen. Not nearly enough to drench the poor heroine in a sea of briny cum.

Most guys are not going to be able to have sex 2-4 times in one session. Especially not virgin protagonists. You have to be like Sting to be able to fuck like that. Most guys are not Sting. They need time to recharge. AND, even if the guy does manage a second go-round, he does NOT spurt forth even more semen than the first time. It's almost always less.

Cum together? Right now? No, just me. (The Beatles would kill me.) It's very rare the two people rutting manage to cum together. And it's also really hard to try and time it by holding back just so it can happen. It's stupid. Know what happens? One person cums at a time. If it's the guy then hopefully the girl has already came, otherwise she may end up disappointed. If it's the girl, she can hope for a multiple, or endure the guy until he finally climaxes.

Phrases never heard from the girl during sex: "Your cum, it's so warm." "Let's cum together." "You're tearing me apart, but since it's you I can bear it." "Fill me with your love juices." "It's so big."

I'll sign the petition for all 18+ VNs to release a "Realistic H" edition

Other than my previous protagonist opinions... though it is a dying one, the 'nameable protagonist'.

The tsundere who doesn't have a good reason for acting that way.

Loli true heroines.

Ninety-percent of the heroine paths being ichaicha and dating.

'Major story difficulties resolved through mysterious convenient intervention or 'accidental events'"

Weak epilogues that stop a few months after the story's end.

School settings.

Protagonist has bad grades/doesn't study/has average grades (if you absolutely have to have a school setting)

1 hour ago, GlassDemon said:

Only trope I actually hate is the good old "Oblivious to love".

Yes, this. Also being in high school and not knowing anything about love or sex. 16 yo girl asking 'what is love', or 'what is masturbation' is painful.

Next trope would be:
15+yo acting like 5 yo. Every singlo one of us have seen that. It's not only a loli thing, sometimes even a normal looking character is stupid as a boot, and basically would not survive till this high school they are now. No, they would be in institution for mental disabillities. (I'm looking at you Chinami).

Also:
7 yeras old, acting as 7 years old, looking as 7 years old, but suddenly 'Im a 1000 years old dragonfairy, so have sex with me'.

1. The "Stare" trope:

Suzumiya-Stare.gif

Especially when they say "Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii". 

2. Tsunderes saying this line at least 2-3x in every visual novel. 

kanojopresidente2.png

3. Overpowered student council, enough to overthrow any government and rule the world. 

ClicheOfAnime4.JPG

4. If a visual novel is about saving the world, the only group that can beat the greater evil in question consists of a bunch of teenagers.

5. School festivals. Enough said.

was gonna say school setting about 90% of the time but someone already beat me to it.

whats wrong with 20-30 year old man in an office setting? where the boss isnt a vindictive, overbearing, control freak and the mc doesnt rape her. what about a vn where you gain your bosses and/or coworkers respect through hard work and determination?

guess i should come up with a cliche. uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummm................................oh i know. abusive heroines. i liked it in muv luv where the guy is as unpredictable when it comes to hitting a girl just as much as a girl hitting him. this works because its done for comedic affect and no one is hospitalized by it and they both move on from it. no hard feelings all around. YAY!

Astronomy and Astrology clubs

'Ganbaru!'

hot-blooded (nekketsu) events that don't lead to bloodshed.

naive protagonists who aren't willing to kill until it is way too late

weak/stupid heroines in chuunige (my question: Why is Victim A a heroine in this game?)

'Osananajimi da yo!' used as an excuse for not properly developing a heroine's characterization.

Protagonist is a 'yuurei buin' of a club.

got another.

really, really, really, really, really, stubborn heroines.

im reading a vn right now and the heroine is literally blowing the guy, willingly, and claims to have no feelings for him. its just a reward for something trivial.

holding hands? might like the guy

kissing? she likes the guy.

sex? she really likes the guy.

blowing? WHATS THE POINT IN DENYING IT AT THIS POINT!!! 

10 minutes ago, Forgetful Frank said:

Reading through this thread is making me almost feel like I'm taking a glimpse into the future on how I'm going to feel after I've read more VN's, ahahaha!

Haha, reading visual novels isn't all rainbows and sunshine. There will be bumps along the road, but it should not stop you from reading what you enjoy. Not like these things we listed in this thread prevent us from playing, although we hope one day that these tropes and cliches will eventually minimize and new, refreshing, revolutionizing themes and ideas will come out. 

Having read dozens of visual novels I have gotten used to quite few cliches and even become quite fond of a couple (due to Stockholm syndrome I suspect). However, there are still a few that get on my tits.

- The tripping a falling in a compromising position with another heroine. I mean god damn it is sooo painfully cliche  and almost immediately follows up with the protagonist being beaten to a pulp. What sort of violent maniac reacts that way? Any sort of civilized person would just calmly apologize and move on.

- None of the characters in the story other than the protagonist hook up, or if they do it is played for comedy. 

- The protagonist goes out with a girl, but falls in love with another, than continues to go out with the first girl for some contrived reason.

- Insanely long h-scenes, maybe this speaks more of my ability to preform, but some of these sex scenes go on forever without any changing cg art and the dialogue can be painfully repetitive.

- BS routes added on console ports for fan-favorite characters that are painfully half-assed.