Reinforcing the beautiful myths about katanas

Darklord Rooke

On 1/31/2016 at 3:39 PM, Rooke said:

Another point to note: Why do we idolise katana when the katana was a samurai's THIRD choice of weapon on the battlefield? They'd go for their bow, they'd go for their spear, then they'd go for their katana.

And this is a critical point. Swords were developed in Europe to be a knight's primary form of weapon. They CAN use a spear, but they can just as feasibly wield a greatsword. There was a sword for any different purpose. "Oh my, my enemy's in armour, well I'll go with a greatsword with a whopping great point." Alternatively "oh my, my opponent wants me to duel with him one-on-one unarmoured. Nothing my trusty rapier can't defend against." Whereas katanas could only fight a certain kind of opponent ... and not on horseback ... and not if other specific conditions weren't met. It's very limited. Furthermore, because it was a hard sword, and not a soft sword like in Europe, it can crack and chip easily if hitting a surface that wasn't soft (that is, wasn't flesh or leather.)

So where did these myths about katanas come from? They aren't light, they don't stab very well, they're short, they're brittle, they're not very balanced, they don't guard very well, they don't have much variety due to being single bladed, they weren't the first choice of weapon on the battlefield ... so, wouldn't you prefer a trusty longsword instead? :) 

CS88ITSMn.jpg

Vs

latest?cb=20131103044244

Disclaimer: These pictures are inserted by an unbiased and fair soul.

I prefer a Gladius if I wanted a sword. I like having mobility as well as a free arm to dual wield something or carry a shield. :) 

• 2 months later...