Valkyria: Blue revolution looks like it is going to suck....

Nightmare799

For anyone who does not know about Valkyria chronicles series, they are practically ww2 turn based strategy JRPGs set in pseudo-realistic WW2 Europe with some fantasy elements. Now why do I think it is going to suck? well, let us take a look on the picture of the art from the new game:

Valkyria: Azure Revoltuion

See, correct me If I am wrong, but the one thing that VC series had going for them, was the WW2 military setting, you know, stuff like tanks obliterating stuff, machine-guns chewing through unfortunate ranks of infantry, despair and suffering of the citizenry under the duress of war...etc.

So can anyone explain to me, why does the main character look like some kind of Cloud Strife wannabe, retarded looking sword that is bigger than him included? Why the heck, with all that dynasty warriors and FF crap, does SEGA think that this is what fans wanted from continuation of series I personally loved to death is beyond me, but here is something for the writers of the story of the game: You better not fuck it up, you hear me? Or I swear to god, I will come to your house, shoot through both of your knees with a gewehr 43 rifle (Gallian 1), then I will beat you nearly to death with a rolling pin, finish you off with a cobalt lance while slapping you around with a shield from the same material, before obliterating your house with a replica of an Edelweiss tank I WILL PERSONALLY BUILD FROM SCRATCH IF I HAVE TO!!!

Seriously, if you have any value of your personal safety, scrap this shitty character design right this instant, and give us fans the sequel we deserve, not this run out of mill japanese big sword hero bullshit. I have waited far too long for this to suffer like that.

Now, to fellow forumers, I sincerely apologize for my outburst of hatred, but i do not really think that this game will be on par with the rest of the series under these circumstances.

Please, discuss.

1 hour ago, Nightmare799 said:

See, correct me If I am wrong, but the one thing that VC series had going for them, was the WW2 military setting, you know, stuff like tanks obliterating stuff, machine-guns chewing through unfortunate ranks of infantry, despair and suffering of the citizenry under the duress of war...etc.

Valkyria Chronicles is a beloved title in the West for many reasons. Unique turn-based, squad focused gameplay with no grids. Gorgeous art. Unique, large maps. Quality story. Developed characters. Awesome setting which didn't involve a school in any way whatsoever. One of the main drawbacks was how the grading was determined.

VC2 bombed in the West. Partly because PSP but partly because they shifted the setting to a generic fricken high school. The unique maps were gone. The quality story was gone. The art was lower quality. The characters weren't anywhere near as interesting. And lastly, but most importantly, is was set in a generic fricken high school. The only game worth buying in the West was the first one.

Anyway, Azure Revolution is the new game right? After the last 2, I don't have much confidence in this series. Let's see what they do with it, though.

21 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Valkyria Chronicles is a beloved title in the West for many reasons. Unique turn-based, squad focused gameplay with no grids. Gorgeous art. Unique, large maps. Quality story. Developed characters. Awesome setting which didn't involve a school in any way whatsoever. One of the main drawbacks was how the grading was determined.

VC2 bombed in the West. Partly because PSP but partly because they shifted the setting to a generic fricken high school. The unique maps were gone. The quality story was gone. The art was lower quality. The characters weren't anywhere near as interesting. And lastly, but most importantly, is was set in a generic fricken high school. The only game worth buying in the West was the first one.

Anyway, Azure Revolution is the new game right? After the last 2, I don't have much confidence in this series. Let's see what they do with it, though.

True, I should have probably mentioned only the first one.

1 hour ago, Rooke said:

VC3 supposedly turned things around and is supposedly way better. I wonder how the fan translation project for that is going.

Valkyria: Blue Revolution is supposed to be a spin-off and a normal RPG at that. It's basically a completely new series, just using a the same setting as Valkyria Chronicles, so expecting more of the same it bit silly. I can understand why people would be upset that it's not a "real" Valkyria Chronicles game, but I'm personally pretty interested in it. It looks pretty cool and the setting is still great. Now I just want to see what they decided to do with the gameplay.  

11 minutes ago, Decay said:

VC3 supposedly turned things around and is supposedly way better. I wonder how the fan translation project for that is going.

The fan translation has been completed a while ago, and yes VC3 is way better than 2. The gameplay is improved, but still mostly the same. The atmosphere and the story is closer to VC1, in fact it's even darker this time. VC3 is my personal favorite of the series, it has best characters and story, and the smaller maps and faster gameplay suit me much better.  

Anyways, the VC universe has always had weird sci-fi stuff blended in with WWII. Energy swords doesn't honestly feel too far removed from what we've previously had and the character designs seem pretty much in line with previous designs, too. That screenshot doesn't really ring any alarm bells for me.

3 was pretty good, and 2 was good as long as you didn't compare it to the original.  Honestly, at this point I'm looking at any new games in the series as games on their own.  In any case, even the worst VC game so far is still better than all the FF games since FFXI.

Edit: Part of my tolerance is that I've been through so many bad games over the years that I tend to be able to sit back and at least try to enjoy them for what they are... and the other is that I connected my PSP to the TV, so I didn't have to screw around with the tiny screen issue.  Still, I thought the school was a stupid idea, anyway.  Why do they have to include schools in everything in Japan?

Edit: That said... it is kind of hard to get up my gaming libido for it.  If it doesn't go off on the usual 'end of the world' BS that defines most jrpg plotlines, I'll find it tolerable. 

8 hours ago, Decay said:

Anyways, the VC universe has always had weird sci-fi stuff blended in with WWII. Energy swords doesn't honestly feel too far removed from what we've previously had and the character designs seem pretty much in line with previous designs, too. That screenshot doesn't really ring any alarm bells for me.

Come on man, that character design has generic plastered all over it.

We came from semi realistic setting of WW2, rifles and tanks to your typical Japanese animeish bullcrap of over the top voices and badass (read dumbass-looking) heroes with swords as big as themselves.

Cobalt lances and the power of valkyrur were fine before, because they were exclusive to two people in the whole game, which was otherwise centered around tactical strategy combat.

Heck this is why most people anime is stupid, because it is unable to evolve and reach past all that tropeish bullcrap most of the time and make the characters seem realistic. When it does, we get stuff like Steins gate, FMAB and Death note. I am personally sick and tired of all those suave perfect angsty guys swinging around oversized two handed swords. This is why I liked Welkin so much as MC, at least he had degree of uniqueness to his character.

But when I look at the dude in the screen, my crappy character writing detector has FUBAR plastered all over it. Heck, we have charcters like that in almost every JRPG ever released, so why VC?

Well, i'm also a valkyria player, and here are some informations.

-There are still WW-2 era weapons, you can see a heavy soldier holding a weapon similar to the British Bren or the Japanese Type 99(which was a ripoff the Bren), also, the soldiers we play will have both fireweapons and swords, for me, it's completely logic for a game inspired by the two world war to have both Handfights and gunfights.

-It's a spin-off set in a parallel universe, it only hold some parallels with the chronicles, and that's bad in my opinion.

Now, let's wait & see, SEGA is capable to deliver heavily. 

4 hours ago, Nightmare799 said:

Come on man, that character design has generic plastered all over it.

We came from semi realistic setting of WW2, rifles and tanks to your typical Japanese animeish bullcrap of over the top voices and badass (read dumbass-looking) heroes with swords as big as themselves.

Cobalt lances and the power of valkyrur were fine before, because they were exclusive to two people in the whole game, which was otherwise centered around tactical strategy combat.

Heck this is why most people anime is stupid, because it is unable to evolve and reach past all that tropeish bullcrap most of the time and make the characters seem realistic. When it does, we get stuff like Steins gate, FMAB and Death note. I am personally sick and tired of all those suave perfect angsty guys swinging around oversized two handed swords. This is why I liked Welkin so much as MC, at least he had degree of uniqueness to his character.

But when I look at the dude in the screen, my crappy character writing detector has FUBAR plastered all over it. Heck, we have charcters like that in almost every JRPG ever released, so why VC?

The main characters from VC1 were generic as hell, dude.

Just now, Decay said:

The main characters from VC1 were generic as hell, dude.

In what manner? Welkin was a calm and collected well meaning individual who cared about the well being of his team, as opposed to being angsty teen kid with a huge sword who deosn't care about anyone.

Alicia? I mean yeah, it is obvious she has hots for Welkin from start, but considering he doesn't kick up a fuss when she unrightfully arrests him, actually helps her fight off imperial recon team despite having no obligation to do so, on top of being an university graduate? Dude that is not really that unrealistic. Also, how many baker girls do you see running around the battlefield being badass on top? Besides, it is not like she has completely no personality, and gives welkin crap on more than one occasion. I cant really think about anything that makes her generic.

Largo? Again how? Being big gruffed old war veteran? I mean seriously, what exactly is generic about Largo, let alone Rosie, a spunky racist redhead bar singer, I mean, yeah there there are plenty of those running around soldiering in militia in other titles. I would almost agree about Isara, except that she has a twist to her, being of different race than the rest of her family.

The only ones I can agree to being generic to certain degree are Faldio (suave lady killer), then again, he has a fairly unexpected twist to him later in the story, Selvaria (overly loyal female minion in love with big bad, although due to her circumstances, that is fairly understandable) and the fact that Maximilian (overly arrogant upstart whose ego leads to his demise) and Gregor (although from what I have read, the game only shown the very worst of him to us).

Then again, large majority of the main characters in this game have certain something to set them apart for the generic trope flag carriers.

It's amazing how you already have these two characters' personalities down based solely on a single screenshot. I was talking about their character designs, btw, not their personality. The VC characters all have pretty generic designs and I'm not really getting the same vibes from the screenshot you posted in the OP that you are. 

edit: What I'm saying is that the initial impressions these characters give off aren't any different from the ones every other VC character gives off. They all look like generic anime characters on the surface.

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

It's amazing how you already have these two characters' personalities down based solely on a single screenshot. I was talking about their character designs, btw, not their personality. The VC characters all have pretty generic designs and I'm not really getting the same vibes from the screenshot you posted in the OP that you are. 

Dude, if there is angry looking guy standing there ready with a giant fuckhueg buster sword rip off, then there is a good chance he is going to behave like Cloud. I mean seriously, this isn't the first time there is an angsty-looking teen character MC with a bfs on the spot-light, and they are all the same. I mean seriously, why the giant sword? One of the perks of first VC game was that besides ragnite, apparel, and the powers of valkyrur, the game had fairly realistic setting. But yeah scratch that let us add giant swords, and lots of swords in general...and yeah lasers, and blame it on ragnite...Hell, lets make it as stupid looking as possible, so maybe, just maybe, we can use it as an excuse for the fans to not bother us for another game in the series.

Compared to VC1 artstyle, this looks so incredibly dumb and alienating...I feel like this is a giant middle finger to all the fans that liked VC1. I can almost hear: ¨You liked VC1? There you go, have a FF rip off with VC brand shlapped on top, and stop bothering us the fuck out¨

Judging from Siliconera, the gameplay involves A LOT of fireweapons, the basis of the gameplay is about gunfights, YAY!

And the close-quarters battles involves either hand to hand attacks, melee weapons or even bashing with your gun.

So no, finally it's still a valkyria game, it looks a lot like Resonance of fate in my opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...