How many VN's have you played?

Forgetful Frank

I started reading VN since half a year ago, and so far I've finished 19 titles (with 3 or 4 titles' route uncompleted, not counting 2 nukiges) and dropped 4 titles. So far, 25 titles tried.

For my VN reading average speed, I only have 2-3 hours a day to read a VN, maybe up to 6 hours at weekends and holidays. 

1 hour ago, Dergonu said:

... Clephas and CeruleanGamer, teach me the ways of the visual novel please :michiru: Wait, actually I'm kind of terrefied Clephas might eat me and put me in one of his stomachs, so CeruleanGamer, onegaishimasu!

Well, seriously though, for me its like ... ugh, 30? 40? I dont update my VNDB enough, so I have a lot of shorter titles I have finished that aren't on there, especially SonoHana titles and nukige.

But for longer, bigger VNs its probably close to like 15-20 ish :P I'll just blame school and pretend it has nothing to do with my lazy reading pace. :makina:

Well to be fair, I was in the hospital for like 2 years so I really had nothing to do but read visual novels. Also, maybe 150-200 vns from what I read are just nukige for my "happy time" or 2-10 hour length ones. 

I'm also a fast reader and when I measured myself, I was sitting at around 900-1000 words per minute. Not really a Guinness World Record but it's on the 90% percentile. 

Also when I read VNs, I don't wait for characters to finish their voice dialogue. I simply click, click, click when I am done reading what they are trying to say. That's why those 30-50 hour long VNs on vndb? I can finish them in half the time and still get 100% of the CGs. 

On H-scenes, however, it's a different story. I like to savor my precious heroines' sexy and orgasm voices, so I let it go on Auto Mode so I can do my "thing" hands free. 

1 minute ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Well to be fair, I was in the hospital for like 2 years so I really had nothing to do but read visual novels.

:pyaa: Didn't know that 

6 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Also, maybe 150-200 vns from what I read are just nukige for my "happy time" or 2-10 hour length ones. 

I'm also a fast reader and when I measured myself, I was sitting at around 900-1000 words per minute. Not really a Guinness World Record but it's on the 90% percentile. 

Also when I read VNs, I don't wait for characters to finish their voice dialogue. I simply click, click, click when I am done reading what they are trying to say. That's why those 30-50 hour long VNs on vndb? I can finish them in half the time and still get 100% of the CGs. 

On H-scenes, however, it's a different story. I like to savor my precious heroines' sexy and orgasm voices, so I let it go on Auto Mode so I can do my "thing" hands free. 

Hah, savage :makina: 

And damn, you read fast.

Any dark demonic rituals I gotta do to read at the same speed? :illya:

Just now, Dergonu said:

:pyaa: Didn't know that 

Hah, savage :makina: 

And damn, you read fast.

Any dark demonic rituals I gotta do to read at the same speed? :illya:

I was a literature minor when I was in college, so I kinda had to practice reading fast because my literature classes required a lot of reading... Fast reading will come to you if you actually keep track of your progress. I used the pen/index finger tracking to slightly increase as well as measure my reading speed. By moving the pen/finger across each line quickly, I can set the pace how fast I am reading and force my eyes to keep up. Think of your eyes and the finger/pen as magnets, wherever they go, your eyes should follow. 

If my pen/finger are moving much faster over time and my eyes can now keep up, I can see that I am improving. Tah dah! Progress!

25 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

I tend to get bored when reading VN. Maybe like after reading for 5-10 minutes, I will take 10 minutes break, more so if the story is boring. Then after taking the break, I will read the backlog again so I can continue from where I stopped. I also tend to skip h-scenes so I can continue on the story, only to replay it again someday. 

9 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

I was a literature minor when I was in college, so I kinda had to practice reading fast because my literature classes required a lot of reading... Fast reading will come to you if you actually keep track of your progress. I used the pen/index finger tracking to slightly increase as well as measure my reading speed. By moving the pen/finger across each line quickly, I can set the pace how fast I am reading and force my eyes to keep up. Think of your eyes and the finger/pen as magnets, wherever they go, your eyes should follow. 

If my pen/finger are moving much faster over time and my eyes can now keep up, I can see that I am improving. Tah dah! Progress!

:rimu: Cool, thanks. I´ll give this a try. 

1 minute ago, gijimu said:

I also tend to skip h-scenes so I can continue on the story, only to replay it again someday. 

:pyaa: W-W-What did you say?!

9 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

:pyaa: W-W-What did you say?!

Well, at some moments, having h-scene suddenly shown to you feels like destroying the mood of reading itself. It is like having a nude girl riding beside you while you're riding in a motorcycle racing. This might be not the case though if the h-scene appears at the conclusion of a route itself. 

Read 75 vn's, 35 of them in jp and 40 of them in English. Soon I'll actually have read more vns in jp than english, that's nice.

I have quite many unfinished vn's around I've just quickly tried  out. 40 something I am guessing. I honestly have no idea

Started reading vn's 5 years ago. Started reading in jp 2 years ago. Considered I put effort into jp just to play vns. I have no idea when I am actually going to stop playing. I might end up as Cerulangamer if this keeps up. I don't really see any reason to stop playing. As I read more vns and try harder ones I start enjoying new sides to Japanese. I always have more vns I want to read. Some are too hard for me to read comfortably/enjoyably, so I look forwards to them later. One year later or so when you start playing the vns you postponed. It just feels sooo Gooood. You feel like a boss.

Number of VNs I finished?

Probably a number that'll put me to shame when I compare it with the others here. It's hard when you watch shitty animu most of the time, you know?

Anyway, regarding reading speed, it differs. Sometimes I let voices finish (or almost finish), sometimes I read too fast that I kinda backtrack at some points, and sometimes I put it on auto. Obviously I put it on auto when it's time for vanilla. :makina: 

53 minutes ago, KosakiFag said:

Number of VNs I finished?

Probably a number that'll put me to shame when I compare it with the others here. It's hard when you watch shitty animu most of the time, you know?

Anyway, regarding reading speed, it differs. Sometimes I let voices finish (or almost finish), sometimes I read too fast that I kinda backtrack at some points, and sometimes I put it on auto. Obviously I put it on auto when it's time for vanilla. :makina: 

I abandoned anime and only watch maybe 1-3 series every month. Kinda pointless to get into them if they have visual novel/manga versions and those are just way better mediums because they tell you the whole story and arent affected by shitty production decisions.

3 hours ago, CeruleanGamer said:

I abandoned anime and only watch maybe 1-3 series every month. Kinda pointless to get into them if they have visual novel/manga versions and those are just way better mediums because they tell you the whole story and arent affected by shitty production decisions.

That's true. Everytime I see that an anime is based on a visual novel, I know they're gonna fuck up the adaptation in some way so I'd rather just play the visual novel. The only exception I can think of is Steins;Gate and Clannad. I really enjoyed the anime versions and I still have yet to play them. Visual novel adaptations get a bad reputation from visual novel fans from what I've seen and they can totally justify that fact by pointing out series like Air, Fate/Stay Night (2006 version). Umineko, Majikoi, Grisaia No Kajitsu, and Chaos;Head. Hell, some of the actually visual novel adaptations pale in comparison to the visual novels. Kanon is one I can think of. I loved the anime, but the visual novel is great. They actually give a great ending to Nayuki in my opinion. And there have been quite a few great visual novels that haven't been adapted like G Senjou No Maou, Sharin No Kuni, Muv Luv, Cross Channel, Kara No Shoujo (into a proper anime, not the bullshit that the hentai was), and Yume Miru Kusuri although I'm scared that the adaptation will be bad. Visual novel adaptations are more balanced towards bad or mediocre than Great.

I got off topic somewhere in there, but I have a lot of passion towards visual novels and seeing them being screwed up in anime aka the more well known medium makes them stay away from this awesome medium and community.

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to complete 80 VNs in the 6 and a half years that I've been reading them, but that's not including the several that I started but never finished (i.e Harukoi Otome, Majikoi, Higurashi, etc.) . 4 of those were in Japanese, the rest were in English.

My reading speed really depends on how invested in a VN I am. For example, it took me over a month to get through Deardrops, but Rewrite, a much longer VN, only took me about 20 days.