Kindred Spirits on the Roof - First Steam Release Uncensored

littleshogun

The title once again says it all. The first VN that I'll open the thread for discussion this year was this VN. In Mangagamer Staff Blog, they announced it'll be released on February 12th, so guess I'd open the thread 28 days too early lol.

Anyway, the premise was like one loner girl names Yuna who always timid and alone was approaching by 2 ghosts. One of them was the student from before World War 2 and another was from around the same year as Higurashi - 1980's. Both ghosts was girl by the way, and they asked Yuna for create more yuri couple at the school, which was all girl school by the way.

For the game format, since it was Liarsoft I think it'll something like Yuri Couple of the Week although I couldn't say much about this yet. The graphic to be honest not very good compared to Gakthun, but maybe this kind of graphic will be acceptable for this kind of VN. As for the review, I couldn't find any review that review this game fully, although from VNDB, it'll be around 7 I think.

For the seiyuu, according to VNDB, they will be each voiced 2 character in this VN, except for MC seiyuu. The recognizeable name are Kusayanagi Junko, Oukawa Mio, Rita (Also the OP singer), and Kaneda Mahiru. While the rest was got less recognizeable role in VNs. And for the MC (Yuna), the voice was Kawashima Rino, who as I commented she was almost anywhere in any VN. As for Kawashima role, she was Haru in G-Senjou, Characters in translated Steampunk (Kia in Inganock, Mary in Sharnoth, and Emilie in Gakthun), Serawi in Kamidori, Nagisa in Koi Suru Natsu no Last Resort, and Yukari in Kara no Shoujo. For untranslated one she was Subaru in Beat Blade Haruka, Yuki in Subahibi, Narumi in Soukoku no Arterial, Alphimia in Madou Koukaku, and many more. Oh she also voiced Katahane MC (Male one), Cero.

I think this VN for now was lack of review, although that didn't mean you should ignore this VN. I think this VN will be good for yuri fan. Oh about Steam release, I think since Liarsoft title almost always managed to not show explicit sexual content (Maybe) so far, I think this game is able to slip into Steam reasonable.

Use this thread as discussion for this game, although it was 28 days too early lol.

well written fellow ero-addict, hope this title will be succesful buiseness-wise so we can possibly expect more of marenis works beeing brought over, though i personally refrain from reading anything yuri-like, except there´s a naughty futa on board, or some chick spawning legions of heinous tentacles...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried the demo ? In case you still didn't try it yet, download it here.

As for my little review about demo, the interface surely was interesting. It looks like the agenda with the event and extra menu, which we could access usual BGM Mode and CG Mode. As for the event, we could actually pick the one from the beginning up to the new one. In short, we could watch over any event without saving, except when we want to stop. It's kinda confusing to explain, but played it and you'll understand.

Honestly I couldn't comment much, but for the voice our Kawashima Rino using her usual range when voicing Yuna. For Hina, surprisingly Kaneda Mahiru was capable to hold back her usual range, although as Umi she was back in her usual range. As for other performance, I couldn't comment much although even if this game only partially voiced (Mostly with important event (To the developer I think) and in CG) the seiyuu did good job I guess (Oh now that I remember Oukawa Mio was capable to sound shy compared to her performance as Lu Bu back in Eiyuu Senki).

For the character, while Yuna was unwilling to helping the ghosts, she was quite the planner I see. Hina like to eat at Yuna home and Yuna best friend Ano (Why her name was sounding like when someone in Japan would like to asking the people to take the attention was beyond me) was quite forgetful (Awesomely she managed to forgot her bra, fortunately it was all girl school lol). For the ghost Sachi was indeed died before WW2 (At year 1932 to be exact since the setting was 2012), while Megumi was died at 1982 (1 year before Higurashi). Sachi was died because she save the students and the school honor her, while Megumi was died because of sickness. Oh Megumi was very very slightly devoted toward Sachi, so much that she was a little jealous to Yuna. For the couple of the week candidate, I'll try to comment one by one:

1. Aihara Miki was the senpai that Maki had crush on. Miki remind me of Aida Mana from Doki Doki Precure, with her capability to help everyone without fail (For now, and I don't have time to explain Doki Doki Precure here), and Maki was slightly interested in architecture.

2. Umi was target of the crush from Futano. Apparently Futano interested to Umi because Umi could talk to Futano normally while normal people took a little space from Futano because she was scary. For Nena (Friend from both of them), not much comment other than she like to sleep.

3. My impression of Kiri she was very tall, while Tsukuyo as the teacher was very short. Kiri was slightly adored cute thing (I thinking about Rena from Higurashi for a second lol), and when she saw the teacher as short as Tsukuyo, she adored her very much.

I think that's all I could comment for the demo. Let's wait for full version, which is about to release 9 days from now.

30 minutes ago, FrozenRaven said:

I don't but why not?

Censored/cut contents. They do it for a reason so they can actually sell the game to all ages. 

Screw all ages version. Most people who play VNs are old enough what sex is anyway. I despise censorsorship, so I always get my VNs from the localization companies like Mangagamer, J-List or JAST if they have the 18+ versions. 

Kindred Spirits won't be cut/censored/watchacallit at all on Steam.

Still, you'll channel more money to MG by buying the game directly on their website (I think; but payment processing shenanigans could make this untrue). And it'll be DRM-free (if you consider Steam a DRM).

10 minutes ago, Down said:

Kindred Spirits won't be cut/censored/watchacallit at all on Steam.

Still, you'll channel more money to MG by buying the game directly on their website (I think; but payment processing shenanigans could make this untrue). And it'll be DRM-free (if you consider Steam a DRM).

So Steam's version will actually have this and this? That would be a first...

WARNING: NSFW links!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well that's what Mangagamer says, there's no reason to believe otherwise. Although I know there are some adherents to conspiracy theories on fuwa.

There's a reason why "game journalism" websites -being mostly held by people with a mental age of 14- were suddenly very interested in VN news and went HURR DURR SEXY LESBIAN GHOSTS ON STEAM

(I think that for once, the conservationist notion that sex = penetration played in favor of that decision)

7 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

So Steam's version will actually have this and this? That would be a first...

WARNING: NSFW links!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

yup, it will be completely uncut on steam, its a first so it actually sparked some controversy when it got announced lol.

Good. We need Steam to actually have some more balls to deliver this kind of uncut/uncensored quality with VNs. Bunch of spineless motherfuckers can't handle a pair of exposed tits and naked female body. 

Censorship is absurd. FREEDOM OF SPEECH/EXPRESSION FTW.

/waves the American flag like an idiot 

1 minute ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Good. We need Steam to actually have some more balls to deliver this kind of uncut/uncensored quality with VNs. Bunch of spineless motherfuckers can't handle a pair of exposed tits and naked female body. 

Censorship is absurd. FREEDOM OF SPEECH/EXPRESSION FTW.

/waves the American flag like an idiot 

oh yeah because America really LOVES the idea of exposed nudity :makina: 

16 hours ago, Kawasumi said:

oh yeah because America really LOVES the idea of exposed nudity :makina: 

Hahaha, I was being sarcastic with that statement. America and their "selective" freedom of speech/expression.... so proud of it. :makina: 

16 hours ago, Down said:

Well that's what Mangagamer says, there's no reason to believe otherwise. Although I know there are some adherents to conspiracy theories on fuwa.

There's a reason why "game journalism" websites -being mostly held by people with a mental age of 14- were suddenly very interested in VN news and went HURR DURR SEXY LESBIAN GHOSTS ON STEAM

(I think that for once, the conservationist notion that sex = penetration played in favor of that decision)

Can't wait for reddit to go wild when this game comes out. Hope it becomes something like Katawa Shoujo crippled hype. :wahaha: 

About the Steam release, I'd think it would be interesting to see how it goes, although since Sakura XXX always show boobs thing, guess it's logical that Kindred Spirit slip into Steam? Just my opinion tough.

As for last 2 couple of the week, my comment are (Continued from previous post)

4. Youka who dressed as rocker got interested in Airu. So much that she always come late to watch Airu face since Airu job was to watch the school gate in case there was latecomer who want to escape from punishment. Oh since Youka was a rocker (According to herself), she made a song for Airu which for the lyric it was more like someone who stalk her lover and want to engage with SM play lol (I didn't knew if it's real or translation, but I agree with Yuna that the lyric was ridiculous. Here's the Kouba song lyric, and feel free to laugh at it or enjoy it.

I love youuu

Love is bondage

I'm looking at you with my hands and feet bound

I'm always looking, staring at you

oh, oh, I'm watching you 

My hearts all hot, what do I do

whoa! What do I do

I love you, I can't stop

I want to bow down

I want to kiss your feet

I want to cling to you

please love me

If you want my very honest opinion, 1st and 4th stanza sound like some masochist desperate a love from the crush who was sadist lol. The 3rd stanza looks alright, but I think it's too much or hyperbole. And 2nd line I agree with Yuna, it make Kouba looks a lot like stalker lol. If some of you here had more understanding to music, please give the comment since my music knowledge was bad and I didn't know how to make a song, although from the lyric above the song was obviously failure.

5. Miyu and Matsuri, vice captain and captain of running track. Also the 2nd longest couple in the game (The longest was Sachi and Megumi for 30 years), for around 4 years. Miyu was too careful for hiding her relationship, while Matsuri was to carefree. Although it was explained in game that Matsuri parent more open minded while Miyu parent was close minded. For Matsuri voice, since the seiyuu was also Oukawa Mio, she was sounded like Lu Bu in Eiyuu Senki. Also apparently sometimes Matsuri want to break the rule that was established by Miu.

I think that's all my commentary for couple of the week. For now it's one week left until this game released.

2 hours ago, littleshogun said:

About the Steam release, I'd think it would be interesting to see how it goes, although since Sakura XXX always show boobs thing, guess it's logical that Kindred Spirit slip into Steam? Just my opinion tough.

I dont think any of the Sakura games had exposed nipples at least on their Steam versions (no h-scene patched), so Kindred Spirits on Roof is actually the first one to do it (at least on a VN genre). It's kinda weird that nipples and boobs (cleavage) are treated separately and differently in our culture. Like showing cleavage is fine but when you start getting into the nipple territory, that's when things get heated up. :wahaha: 

They are just female parts.... They are actually important in nursing the young. How bad can they really be? :makina: 

Humans are stupid. :yumiko: 

I'm still saying how Kindred Spirits on the Rooftop isn't anything special as far as groundbreaking things on Steam go.

Mayjasmine has a CG with a naked loli in it and it's on Steam (albeit not being in a sexual context).

Sex/nudity itself isn't and has never been forbidden on Steam (heck Steam even has a nudity tag), that's why this VN had no problems getting on there, because it has no explicit sex scenes. It's not a breakthrough, it's not a loophole, it's just Steam's guidelines and this game fit within those guidelines from the get go.

If they had shown just one vagina in it, you best be sure it wouldn't end up on Steam anymore.

The fact that people think it is groundbreaking means it is groundbreaking. Basically, if you can show it to an average Steam user and they go "whoa, what the heck, what's this doing on Steam??" then it clearly means it's doing something people don't expect out of a Steam game. And while it's certainly pretty tame, there's still no other VN on Steam to go as far as it in their sex scenes.

Maybe because it hasn't been done before and because no one tried to either since they just assumed any kind of sex is forbidden without actually asking Steam.

You can call it groundbreaking in that sense, but I still think that until someone puts an eroge on Steam, we haven't really built a foundation for anything, and that's why I don't call it groundbreaking, just more of an unexpected thing.

In fact, HuniePop was more groundbreaking since Steam explicitly allowed them to uncensor their version of the game, making it possible to have an explicit sex game on Steam. That genuinely impressed me more than this.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing Kindred Spirits is on Steam, it's obviously not, but I don't get the over hype it has either, it's like they're making the game to be the landmark that will lead eroge to Steam.

"Groundbreaking" doesn't have to mean "forces Valve to change their stance and rules," it can simply mean "is the first to do a thing." In fact, that's what it usually means! And it's still good and exciting, even if it doesn't bring on a complete revolution, because they're pushing the boundaries of what has been done previously. And now, maybe more VN devs/publishers will be willing to take things a little further than they previously have been?