Mangagamer 2015 review

SilverLi

http://blog.mangagamer.org/2016/01/13/2015-in-review/

MG posted their review of 2015 today and it is pretty interesting. It looks like the MG sales are really good compared to 2014. " Fun fact: nearly everything in the top 10 would have outranked 2014’s first-place ranking title! " quoted from MG. 

For our first-party titles, the 2015 ranking looks like this (excluding Steam and bundle sales):

1. Princess Evangile
2. eden*
3. No, Thank You!!!
4. Imouto Paradise
5. Eroge! Sex and Games Make Sexy Games
6. Demon Master Chris
7. euphoria
8. Sweet Sweat in Summer
9. Ultimate Boob Wars!
10. Higurashi Hou Ch. 1 Onikakushi

Interesting to see a BL on top 3. Sad that a lot of older titles still are fan favorites. But I guess it is part of the growing market when new customers buy the well known titles. 

For the third-party titles the top five are:

1. HuniePop
2. Beach Bounce
3. The Menagerie
4. Divine Slice of Life
5. Sakura Santa

Overall it looks like a good year for MG. Any opinions. I can't dig into this at the moment. Doing that later.

Anyone win a free copy of something?  I didn't win anything, but that didn't surprise me, I never win stuff  :amane:

Have to say, I'm a bit bummed that Gahkthun isn't even on the list, but it did come out in the later part of December, so there's still hope of it doing well.  I'm glad HuniePop sold the most out of the original English titles, though.  Everything else in that category but HuniePop was complete garbage, IMO.

35 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Gahkthun is niche in the niche, so I am rather pessimistic. Same for Kara no Shoujo 2 - which is superior to most of the top-rated novels in the list - but never sold any good.

Quite a shame honestly, KNS/ Cartagra and others are truly outstanding yet they can never manage to sell as good as others that aren't nowhere nearly as good... a sad truth indeed

Honestly, I was secretly hoping that Cum On! Bukkake Ranch! would take first place.  I think it is a massively underrated VN that is one of the better titles MangaGamer has translated, and the true brilliance of it just doesn't reach some people that are unwilling to open their minds and see the symbolism and deeper meanings that Bukkake Ranch is chock full of.  Truly a hidden gem.

2 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Anyone win a free copy of something?  I didn't win anything, but that didn't surprise me, I never win stuff  :amane:

Have to say, I'm a bit bummed that Gahkthun isn't even on the list, but it did come out in the later part of December, so there's still hope of it doing well.  I'm glad HuniePop sold the most out of the original English titles, though.  Everything else in that category but HuniePop was complete garbage, IMO.

Congratulations! Your e-mail was selected as a winner in our Best-of-2015 poll drawing. You’ve won a copy of Princess Evangile! 

To redeem your copy, log in to your MangaGamer.com account (or create one if you don’t already have one) and place the game into your cart. When you check out, paste the following code into the “campaign code” field and proceed with checkout.

Edit: I won XD

9 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

Honestly, I was secretly hoping that Cum On! Bukkake Ranch! would take first place.  I think it is a massively underrated VN that is one of the better titles MangaGamer has translated, and the true brilliance of it just doesn't reach some people that are unwilling to open their minds and see the symbolism and deeper meanings that Bukkake Ranch is chock full of.  Truly a hidden gem.

all that talk about bukkake has made me hungry (yes the word comes from there)

Surprising and pleasing to see those titles in the top 3. A moege, a short naki/utsuge and a BL story-focused title, that's pretty diverse. I'd hoped for better rankings for KnS 2 and Gahkthun but what can you do... I guess those really are niche titles no matter what. If overall MG gets better sales they can keep having a more and more varied output.

Ofc the third party titles are all garbage, especially Huniepop :makina:

8 hours ago, SilverLi said:

http://blog.mangagamer.org/2016/01/13/2015-in-review/

MG posted their review of 2015 today and it is pretty interesting. It looks like the MG sales are really good compared to 2014. " Fun fact: nearly everything in the top 10 would have outranked 2014’s first-place ranking title! " quoted from MG. 

For our first-party titles, the 2015 ranking looks like this (excluding Steam and bundle sales):

1. Princess Evangile
2. eden*
3. No, Thank You!!!
4. Imouto Paradise
5. Eroge! Sex and Games Make Sexy Games
6. Demon Master Chris
7. euphoria
8. Sweet Sweat in Summer
9. Ultimate Boob Wars!
10. Higurashi Hou Ch. 1 Onikakushi

Interesting to see a BL on top 3. Sad that a lot of older titles still are fan favorites. But I guess it is part of the growing market when new customers buy the well known titles. 

For the third-party titles the top five are:

1. HuniePop
2. Beach Bounce
3. The Menagerie
4. Divine Slice of Life
5. Sakura Santa

Overall it looks like a good year for MG. Any opinions. I can't dig into this at the moment. Doing that later.

that third party list is terribad...

12 minutes ago, atorq said:

Do they have any third party titles that are not terrible though? All I have seen is Sakura this and AJ Tilley that. Never even heard of that Menagerie-thing.

Batman reviewed it and gave it a low score so yeah...

5 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

At least none of that "High School" stuff got into that list. I played High School Possession for like an hour and I had the urge to eye bleach myself. 

There are two other titles from AJTilley on the list so I don't know why you're so happy about that

23 minutes ago, Tyrael said:

There are two other titles from AJTilley on the list so I don't know why you're so happy about that

I don't know any other games by AJTilley other than the horrifying Highschool stuff, so yeah that is bad news then. 

3 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

I don't know any other games by AJTilley other than the horrifying Highschool stuff, so yeah that is bad news then. 

- Beach Bounce

- Sword of Asami

- Highschool Romance

- Highschool Possession

- Divine Slice of Life

Also, thanks for admitting you didn't bother to read any of my reviews :(

4 minutes ago, Tyrael said:

- Beach Bounce

- Sword of Asami

- Highschool Romance

- Highschool Possession

- Divine Slice of Life

Also, thanks for admitting you didn't bother to read any of my reviews :(

I read this review: http://reviews.fuwanovel.net/2015/12/20/highschool-possession/ before I played Highschool Possession.

I didn't bother going to his website though. This game alone is more than enough to tell me the games are of poor quality. 

10 hours ago, SilverLi said:

I wonder how many of Evangile's sales were from affiliate links?

I'm surprised Eroge! did so well considering it was released a little over two years ago, and I don't really see anybody talk about it.

6 minutes ago, Silver95280 said:

I wonder how many of Evangile's sales were from affiliate links?

A decent number of the sales were probably from Steam.  MangaGamer hit the number of sales needed for a physical release as per their own rules pretty damn fast, and I don't remember it selling really well on a consistent basis on their own site.  Steam does wonders at moving copies of games.

1 hour ago, Zenophilious said:

A decent number of the sales were probably from Steam.  MangaGamer hit the number of sales needed for a physical release as per their own rules pretty damn fast, and I don't remember it selling really well on a consistent basis on their own site.  Steam does wonders at moving copies of games.

16 hours ago, SilverLi said:

They weren't counting Steam sales in their rankings. It looks like it did sell pretty well on their own site.