The Butterfly and the Apple Tree

STBill

Hello guys!

Our first VN, The Butterfly and the Apple Tree, is a short fable about a magic apple tree that was not happy with who it was.

It is a short linear story you can complete in no more than 5 minutes.

You can play the HTML version here (Firefox or Chrome recommended) Butterfly & Apple Tree

If you're having problems with your browser you can download a windows version here: Butterfly & Apple Tree (windows)

I used Tyranobuilder because it is the easiest program to use and I like the 2DLive support which I'm trying to learn for our next project.

Cheers!

lVjMId.jpg

The tree was admired by all and had value to the farmer but it choose to throw everything away for nothing. The lesson for me is to be careful not to lose sight of who you're and ruin your life chasing silly dreams, no matter how appealing a silver tongued person may make them sound.

If anyone wants to ask my friend Winter any questions about his story or read more of his stuff you can visit his Deviantart page here Winter-of-Hearts

14 hours ago, STBill said:

The tree was admired by all and had value to the farmer but it choose to throw everything away for nothing. The lesson for me is to be careful not to lose sight of who you're and ruin your life chasing silly dreams, no matter how appealing a silver tongued person may make them sound.

If anyone wants to ask my friend Winter any questions about his story or read more of his stuff you can visit his Deviantart page here Winter-of-Hearts

no the problem is that it favors a character more than anyone, the butterfly appears once and it never got a chance to be anything. the tree seem more willing to follow a plot than expressing itself for what it hopes to be. the farmer seems clueless that it has a special tree, which is very wrong in many fable stories.

mmm weird story, why did the farmer kill the tree? to destroy the tree's dream or because it wasnt bearing any more fruits? seems to me he did it more for resentment than anything else.
is sad to see a message like this  to be honest, this is something that doesn't happen to me often but I didn't like the story.

If your lesson was to teach about not following silly dreams this didn't accomplish the goal because the Butterfly for instance didnt look like she said that to the tree maliciously and if she did the story did not reflect that.
Again to me it was like if the farmer didnt want to see the tree's dream come true so he just killed it and that's it, specially that last scene with the sound of the tree burning, him looking comfy and warm inside the house house  (almost relishing) and then the tree on fire outside with the axe stabbed on it, why did he put the tree on fire outside too?
I never agree with firecat but i'm with him on this one :P

In most fables things like talking animals, magic trees and super natural beings are part of the natural world so people are not surprised in these stories. In the farmer's world having a talking tree was not what made the tree useful to him. The farmer worked long and hard to grow the tree and was proud of the the fruits it produced but once the tree refused to carry its purpose the farmer saw no other use for the tree but to become firewood.

Also, the butterfly visited the tree every day until the harvest season was over (4 months) that was enough time to seduce the tree with its tales (even if it wasn't done maliciously) and make it hate its purpose and the farm that was its life.

About the last picture, fire is one of the most efficient and cheap ways to remove a tree stump.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the others in this thread. I liked the art and how I could read it on my phone, but I didn't like the story.

There wasn't enough context or moral of the story to give the story any meaning or reason for it being a story. It felt like it was just a rushed depressing story for the sake of being depressing. :(

Spoiler

Here's a tree, it's a pretty tree with delicious fruit. Here's a self-centred butterfly full of himself because he's pretty. Tree gets depressed from listening to the prideful butterfly boast about its adventures, and asks the farmer if she can go. "Nope" said the farmer, "You're a tree, silly. Make me more apples." Then the tree denies the farmer his apples and is cut down. Butterfly's like "lol bye". The end.

I know you weren't responsible for the story, and I did like your art and though it was made nicely into a short VN.

On 1/21/2016 at 3:22 PM, Forgetful Frank said:

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the others in this thread. I liked the art and how I could read it on my phone, but I didn't like the story.

There wasn't enough context or moral of the story to give the story any meaning or reason for it being a story. It felt like it was just a rushed depressing story for the sake of being depressing. :(

Reveal hidden contents

Here's a tree, it's a pretty tree with delicious fruit. Here's a self-centred butterfly full of himself because he's pretty. Tree gets depressed from listening to the prideful butterfly boast about its adventures, and asks the farmer if she can go. "Nope" said the farmer, "You're a tree, silly. Make me more apples." Then the tree denies the farmer his apples and is cut down. Butterfly's like "lol bye". The end.

I know you weren't responsible for the story, and I did like your art and though it was made nicely into a short VN.

Just letting you know the artist is Fireytika http://fireytika.deviantart.com/

I created the VN using Tyranobuilder and added the music and ambient sounds (creative commons)