Winter 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Eh, quite the contrary. It IS technically rape. Blackmail is the method, instead of doing it by force. Forcing a slave, who has no real choice due to blackmail, to have sex, is a very clear example of rape. And I'm up to date with the manga, so I'll add that

Hide contents

Yeah, it ends up serving her plan and all that, but it's not like this is her best option or choice. Due to her past circumstances she's been reduced to a sex slave, raped non stop by the prince singe ages ago. And she still has sex with him due to no having any real options besides that. She's not a free woman using her body and sex to control the prince. She's a sex slave (and a schemer) trying to make smth out of the fact that he'll have sex with her no matter what she says or wants.

Spoiler

I would still throw it in limbo.  Her having made the decision to be attempt to control the prince via sex would make it not rape anymore.  Sure she is a sex slave, and her initial conditions pushed her towards it, but as the leader I would like to think that the moment she knew she "going to be raped" she took hold of the opportunity to attempt to control the prince, throwing whether it was consensual in the air.

I see your point, I would just rather argue on the actual technicalities. :sachi: 

5 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:
  Hide contents

I would still throw it in limbo.  Her having made the decision to be attempt to control the prince via sex would make it not rape anymore.  Sure she is a sex slave, and her initial conditions pushed her towards it, but as the leader I would like to think that the moment she knew she "going to be raped" she took hold of the opportunity to attempt to control the prince, throwing whether it was consensual in the air.

I see your point, I would just rather argue on the actual technicalities. :sachi: 

Spoiler

I'm not so sure about that. Do remember that her clan has been practically destroyed, and the prince is basically lying to her about "the lives of her comrades depending on her". At some point in the past, she discovers this and decides to await for a chance for revenge, which takes the form of Japan coming to this world. She says it herself, that she's trying to make the prince king because she knows he won't back down against Japan, which will cause Japan to utterly destroy the Empire, fulfilling her revenge.

So, yeah. In a sense, the actual girl is not exaaactly being raped when having sex with the prince, but it's such a limbo-like situation, and still so forced onto her, that I'm inclined to see it as rape, mostly cuz no matter her intentions, if she had no plans, she would still be in the same situation, forced to have sex.

2 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:
  Hide contents

I'm not so sure about that. Do remember that her clan has been practically destroyed, and the prince is basically lying to her about "the lives of her comrades depending on her". At some point in the past, she discovers this and decides to await for a chance for revenge, which takes the form of Japan coming to this world. She says it herself, that she's trying to make the prince king because she knows he won't back down against Japan, which will cause Japan to utterly destroy the Empire, fulfilling her revenge.

So, yeah. In a sense, the actual girl is not exaaactly being raped when having sex with the prince, but it's such a limbo-like situation, and still so forced onto her, that I'm inclined to see it as rape, mostly cuz no matter her intentions, if she had no plans, she would still be in the same situation, forced to have sex.

Spoiler

In the exact opposite view, this was actually her only choice the moment she became a slave (not a sex slave either). Limbo limbo!

I'm still looking forward to Gate. It's going to be fabulous with the climax of the season. 

53 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In the exact opposite view, this was actually her only choice the moment she became a slave (not a sex slave either). Limbo limbo!

I'm still looking forward to Gate. It's going to be fabulous with the climax of the season. 

Indeedydilily. This season has some series I'm finding entertaining but, at least for now, none have me waiting excitedly for the following week's episode.

Also, thinking back. The true reaction to Musaigen no Phantom World:

22 hours ago, havoc said:

I dont think that was mere gut.

the synopsis of the serie already betrayed that it was going to be one of the best. 

series like that don't usually get animated unless they are fairly sure they can do a decent job.

Half of it's beauty is purely due to the execution and directing.
There are plenty of instances where series with good plot suffered heavily due to poor execution.     

Just now, FinalChaos said:

Half of it's beauty is purely due to the execution and directing.
There are plenty of instances where series with good plot suffered heavily due to poor execution.     

true enough, but the generally dont make these kind of series if they are not at least planning to make them work. does of course not mean that always works. And there are numerous recent examples of that.

6 hours ago, havoc said:

Just watched the first episode of dimension W.

I was planning on skipping this one thanks to the pretty bad name synopsis but boy am i glad i did not.

It has a really nice feel to it, gritty but not gloomy.

It really reminds me of solty rei.

Oh boy, do I agree. I like how we are getting another out of the mold MC. He's serious and a professional. It's a bit cliché that they are throwing again the Tesla name for everything energy/electricity-related, and it could be considered a kinda stupid thing to claim that they've managed to achieve infinite energy. I mean, if that's true, the society should be so much more advanced, including time travelling and such. But the overall is a good feeling. This is promising.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar looks pretty interesting, too. My only problem for now is that Ranta, the swordsman, is a complete imbecile. Not sure if the author thinks he's going for the "weird but funny" kind of guy, but it's failing miserably at making me feel anything but thoroughly annoyed at how stupid and unfriendly he is.

On 09/01/2016 at 5:14 PM, havoc said:

And a have a question.

what do you all think has the potential to be this season biggest train wreck? (does not mean you are not allowed to like it, i personally have also enjoyed a few train wrecks myself :))

I put my money on this one: Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn.

After having just finished Schwarzesmarken, I think that's my candidate for the biggest train wreck. First of all, the art is a bit ew, but all can be ignored with the interesting premise. An apocalyptic (finally, not a post apocalyptic one!) world during the cold war, mecha fighting aliens, serious veterans fighting in an elite squadron.

Now, how could this fail? Well... the first episode has left me thinking that every single thing that could go wrong, will go wrong. Generic bad guys, silly symbolism, naive to the point of retarded female MC, cold male MC that got hurt in the past and will probably open up to the female MC becoming soft like freshly baked bread, awesome aliens that will probably become nothing more like background noise before the might of dumb political intrigue... check to all of those.

No, seriously. I will actually be surprised if Schwarzesmarken manages to be a good, compelling and interesting anime.

What is with people judging anime from the first episode? I feel like a dumbass, but I just noticed that the majority of people decide from episode 1 whether or not to like a anime during a current season and most of the time they stick to their guns regardless of how badly their chosen train crashes and bursts into flames. 

People are already calling Schwarzesmarken completely unoriginal with stereotypical characters. Really? We only know the faces of the majority of the cast...... or is character synonymous for character art in anime now?

....and there are those people that can't wank Boku Dake ga Inai Machi off enough. Time travel makes for a interesting premise, but alot of the times it goes off the rails.... down a ditch... into a gas station. In the end though it really doesn't matter how well you write your story, there will always be some plot holes when it comes to timetravel. That isn't a bad thing in itself, it is unavoidable, but the story is forced to compensate with a colorful cast. For example Doctor Who has the Doctor, the very definition of spontaneous and eccentric. Steins;Gate has Okabe Rintarou, whose chuunibyouism adds color and entertainment to what could have been a rather drab tale. Boku Dake ga Inai Machi has mister grumpy guss that has the personality of Hachiman with none of the wit or snark that made Hachiman so great. What about the side characters you say?  You mean the weird ass highschooler that has no problem eating at a adult coworker's house with the coworker's MOM?!?!? If she isn't abducted and killed in some of the inevitable aborted timelines I will be shocked beyond words. 

I suppose all my griping is rather pointless considering the manga is still ongoing, which means the anime will probably not have a satisfying ending. Soooooo most people will awkwardly cough and forget about it in the near future. What am I being super hypocritical and biased because I had a ongoing grudge with A-1 pictures and I am a eternal fanboy of MuvLuv? Why yes.... yes I am.

9 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar looks pretty interesting, too. My only problem for now is that Ranta, the swordsman, is a complete imbecile. Not sure if the author thinks he's going for the "weird but funny" kind of guy, but it's failing miserably at making me feel anything but thoroughly annoyed at how stupid and unfriendly he is.

I agree. I watched the first ep last night and really like it so far. Art and setting is just my cup of tea! Ranta is really annoying though.

I've yet to watch Dimension W, Bubuki Buranki and probably more shows I can't recall atm. I don't have the time these days though...

10 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Like everyone in that series, they are all attempting to cope with what has been thrown at them.  The blatantly obvious world traveler with amnesia is given off, so think about if the insecure class clown got transported and you get Ranta: the guy who tries to make jokes, but with the atmosphere of a new world constantly has to back off.

Grimgal is definitely going to be an anime to watch this season.  I read the first volume from nanodesu, and really enjoyed it.  Sadly though it seems like the anime is liberally shearing scenes, so we are likely to get 3 or 4 episode volumes, meaning reading the book is still a good idea. This will probably be my favorite anime this season.  It's set high fantasy which means I'm going to get a nice soundtrack to add to my collection from it as well.

For the rest of the shows I attempted to watch, I can summarize them in a single paradigm: 3DCG.

Bubuki Buranki is by far the worst offender of the three. They animated the characters in 3d incredibly poorly.   I had to stop after 5 mins because I couldn't stand it.  They somehow thought animating 3d at 12fps was a good idea in a show that runs 24fps on a screen that displays 60.  It looks like a complete mess and I paused the video and "let it buffer" because I wasn't actually sure if it was playing properly.  My god did they fuck this one up.   I don't care if the show ends up with an extremely high rating, I'm pegging it a failure on the animation alone.  

Luck & Logic was the second one.  It's 3D wasn't as bad, but it still stood out like a sore thumb.  I think they used the same program that was demonstrated at the end of last season's Asterisk War, the one that did 3D characters.  This one bother me for another reason though too: they split the 3D.  Who thought it was a good idea to draw half the characters and use 3D for the other half?  It almost seems like it's trying to pull a Madoka Magicka and do a complete style change for the "Logic", yet it just doesn't work.  Where Madoka used the style change to instill a sense of discomfort, this just feels half assed and really odd.  I still made it to the end of the episode and I'll probably continue watching despite how awkward it looks, but only time will tell.

The final one was Schwarzmarken. Those BETA were really out of place.  I guess that was intended? It felt more natural than when Luck & Logic did it if only because of the aesthetic choices made.  It's for the same reason that mecha is slowly getting better at blending in the 3D with the 2D.  Aldnoah Zero managed to do it decently, and This show continues with the trend.  I had to end up looking it up because it felt so familiar, turns out this show is part of MuvLuv.  That means I'm putting it on hold until I actually read MuvLuv.

Tonight I get to see if Bahamut falls into the terrible or okay 3DCG category with mechs, though the optimal choice would be if they were drawn, I haven't seen anything from Lerche, and I haven't seen the PV, so yay for surprises! Hopefully this one won't be another Asterisk.

10 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

What is with people judging anime from the first episode? I feel like a dumbass, but I just noticed that the majority of people decide from episode 1 whether or not to like a anime during a current season and most of the time they stick to their guns regardless of how badly their chosen train crashes and bursts into flames. 

People are already calling Schwarzesmarken completely unoriginal with stereotypical characters. Really? We only know the faces of the majority of the cast...... or is character synonymous for character art in anime now?

....and there are those people that can't wank Boku Dake ga Inai Machi off enough. Time travel makes for a interesting premise, but alot of the times it goes off the rails.... down a ditch... into a gas station. In the end though it really doesn't matter how well you write your story, there will always be some plot holes when it comes to timetravel. That isn't a bad thing in itself, it is unavoidable, but the story is forced to compensate with a colorful cast. For example Doctor Who has the Doctor, the very definition of spontaneous and eccentric. Steins;Gate has Okabe Rintarou, whose chuunibyouism adds color and entertainment to what could have been a rather drab tale. Boku Dake ga Inai Machi has mister grumpy guss that has the personality of Hachiman with none of the wit or snark that made Hachiman so great. What about the side characters you say?  You mean the weird ass highschooler that has no problem eating at a adult coworker's house with the coworker's MOM?!?!? If she isn't abducted and killed in some of the inevitable aborted timelines I will be shocked beyond words. 

I suppose all my griping is rather pointless considering the manga is still ongoing, which means the anime will probably not have a satisfying ending. Soooooo most people will awkwardly cough and forget about it in the near future. What am I being super hypocritical and biased because I had a ongoing grudge with A-1 pictures and I am a eternal fanboy of MuvLuv? Why yes.... yes I am.

Here's the funny thing: doing that is very easy to do... and you'll almost always be right, as long as you do it with head, and not just by heart. Anime as a media and art is a great thing, allowing almost infinite things, but also has huge problems. For example, its genres are super defined, creating the "stereotypes" we all know. When used as a base for something more, they are a good thing, but when they don't go past that... it tends to suck balls. And I've been watching anime since childhood so I'm really, really, used to anime in general, and tend to generally be right with these predictions. Just with 2015's anime, I don't remember judging wrongly an anime, sometimes only with the art + synopsis. Because the limitations on genre are both a good thing, and a bad thing.

About Boku Dake... honestly, I might not even watch it. This is completely apart from the topic I'm talking about at first, but I'll probably not do it due to me not really enjoying that kind of story/genre. If it happens to be as brilliant as people are saying I might go for it in the end... but I wonder.

2 hours ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

Like everyone in that series, they are all attempting to cope with what has been thrown at them.  The blatantly obvious world traveler with amnesia is given off, so think about if the insecure class clown got transported and you get Ranta: the guy who tries to make jokes, but with the atmosphere of a new world constantly has to back off.

Grimgal is definitely going to be an anime to watch this season.  I read the first volume from nanodesu, and really enjoyed it.  Sadly though it seems like the anime is liberally shearing scenes, so we are likely to get 3 or 4 episode volumes, meaning reading the book is still a good idea. This will probably be my favorite anime this season.  It's set high fantasy which means I'm going to get a nice soundtrack to add to my collection from it as well.

Tonight I get to see if Bahamut falls into the terrible or okay 3DCG category with mechs, though the optimal choice would be if they were drawn, I haven't seen anything from Lerche, and I haven't seen the PV, so yay for surprises! Hopefully this one won't be another Asterisk.

Yeah, I can guess so. But think on it, then. Everyone is going through the same, but copes with it in different ways. Is Ranta's way of coping with it to harass his teammates, who are clearly disturbed and uncomfortable by it? Because if this is his real character (which I'm still suspecting it is), then he's the classic asshole who think's he's being funny and lulzy but is just a complete idiot. But if this is due to trying to cope with their situation... then he's still an asshole, because throwing shit onto your pals in an attempt to feel safer is a crappy thing to do.

Maybe his character will change for the better once they get used to this world but, for now, he's being the kind of character that you would bring to the forest and then abandon him, Hansel and Gretel style. I feel that he'll either change very soon, or will stay the same completely.

About Bahamut... honestly, I'm getting the Asterisk vibes from it. The synopsis making mention that the MC trespasses into the female bath + duel, how he's called the "strongest weakest", and the fact that he refuses to attack. They sound like the quintessential properties of a generic story of this genre. I'm gonna watch it nevertheless since once in a while these ones give you a nice surprise, and because anyway it might be a good season time killer. 

God Schwarzmarken 3D looks jarring. The show premise looks interesting but the casts and execution... well at least they got their soundtrack right... crossing fingers on this one, hopefully it'll be better.

Grimgar looks interesting enough, then again I'm a sucker for these RPGs like shows (DanMachi, SAO, LH, etc.). The art, was quite something entirely. Sasuga A-1 Pictures.

10 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-08/erased-boku-dake-ga-inai-machi-anime-to-portray-ending-of-original-manga/.97329

It'll end with the manga's actual ending. A-1 Pictures only mess up when they are doing original work *coughaldnoahzerocough*, but for adaptations, they got them solid.

About Boku dake ga Inai Machi, I think that calling it time-travel isn't apt. The protag cannot as and when he wants time-travel. What happens in actuality is more like a promotion/sixth-sense kind of future experience, think final destination. The occurrence of going back several years happens for the first time at the ep 1's end, which the protag was extremely shocked about. 
Also it seems that the major theme is mystery with that promotion ability having a support role. The first episode just touches upon the overall mystery, so the next episodes should give a clear view on how good the mystery really is.                

4 hours ago, FinalChaos said:

About Boku dake ga Inai Machi, I think that calling it time-travel isn't apt. The protag cannot as and when he wants time-travel. What happens in actuality is more like a promotion/sixth-sense kind of future experience, think final destination. The occurrence of going back several years happens for the first time at the ep 1's end, which the protag was extremely shocked about.             

If what you say is true than are you saying that the protagonist entire life after his early school years was all a vision? That..... that might be extremely interesting. Granted he was not very happy with his life, but he still went through his fair share of struggles. To find out that most of your life was fake and in vein that could destroy a person.

Welp, Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut seen, and it's every bit as terrible as I expected it to be xD

It's basically a recollection of clichés and stereotypes of the genre. I'll wait until the second episode to see whether it passes as a time killer, or if it's simply too horrifyingly bad for that. In all due honesty, I think it'll be the second option, since the anime didn't seem to try and be different/original about anything at all.

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Welp, Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut seen, and it's every bit as terrible as I expected it to be xD

It's basically a recollection of clichés and stereotypes of the genre. I'll wait until the second episode to see whether it passes as a time killer, or if it's simply too horrifyingly bad for that. In all due honesty, I think it'll be the second option, since the anime didn't seem to try and be different/original about anything at all.

At least the pacing is fast. They blitzthrough most of the cliches already (fighting the main girl, ecchi intro, intro for most of the chars, fighting at least one common enemy.)

With this pacing, it could get interesting (even though its just a fanservice ecchi show).

Oh well, the only thing I could see is new is the fact that the MC is already a prince instead of your ordinary average guy.

17 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

If what you say is true than are you saying that the protagonist entire life after his early school years was all a vision? That..... that might be extremely interesting. Granted he was not very happy with his life, but he still went through his fair share of struggles. To find out that most of your life was fake and in vein that could destroy a person.

I was saying it based on how the incidents occur. Also if a person does time-travel then it does kinda void everything he/she did previously, the shock is present in both the cases.

7 hours ago, Satsuki said:

What, no one is gonna complain about how rush Aokana is and how Asuka turned into some kind of overly energetic and overly clumsy girl?

Gosh, how long until people can adapt a VN into anime without screwing it up...

Btw, how is the vn?
Since there's translation going on, I was thinking about reading it when it's finished and then maybe going for the anime.       

15 hours ago, Jibril said:

Thank you Studio DEEN for butchering the character animations in Kono Subarashii Sekai.... At least they got the background scenery are more than average... *sigh*

Ahahahahaha I didn't watch it, but it was in fact DEEN who did it. I feel sorry for anyone who wanted a good anime out of the series.

After watching Phantom World and watching the opening this time around, I don't know what to say other than expecting anything other than the sexual exploitation of these girls is silly.  The sexual exploitation might not be silly to some people, but the expection of none certainly is.  Either way I'm enjoying the series well enough that I'll probably be watching it on a weekly basis as I laugh when other people drop it due to their oh so serious opinions on fan service. If you can enjoy hentai, you can enjoy this.

Reaction to Gintama's latest episode: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Ahahahahaha I didn't watch it, but it was in fact DEEN who did it. I feel sorry for anyone who wanted a good anime out of the series.

After watching Phantom World and watching the opening this time around, I don't know what to say other than expecting anything other than the sexual exploitation of these girls is silly.  The sexual exploitation might not be silly to some people, but the expection of none certainly is.  Either way I'm enjoying the series well enough that I'll probably be watching it on a weekly basis as I laugh when other people drop it due to their oh so serious opinions on fan service. If you can enjoy hentai, you can enjoy this.

Did you seriously just say that? If you can enjoy hentai, then you can enjoy fan service? Because that's so thoroughly stupid that I don't even know what to say, Abyssal... comparing "normal" anime to porn anime, as if they were the same thing and were watched for the same reasons... dude, just don't.

Also, saying that expecting a lack of fan service is silly is just... sad. It means accepting a lack of quality and professionalism as an unavoidable evil, which I refuse to accept. This things matter, and the day all of us generally move on to accept the cancer that fan service is as something acceptable, is the day anime fandom falls really, really low.