Winter 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

Gate seems to be doing fine, but I'd like to complain that both Gate AND Heavy Object OP/ED aren't as good as the first season's :salt:

I got interrupted from active raid at like 3 mins in. I need to finish the episode to determine whether or not to continue watching.  It opened up with a headset interface thing.  Thats about it.

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

Super surprised by Divinity Gate. The synopsis promises a cliché and boring story, but the first episode is quite interesting.

And the MC might actually be worth watching! I like how he's scarred, and not just a random happy-go-lucky stereotype of a shonen MC.

It's a video game adaptation. I'm wary enough of these to not touch until the season is over.

7 hours ago, Jibril said:

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi ep 1 just insta'd AOTS for me. 10/10 perfection.

I agree to that. I got goosebumps watching the ep. :kosame: So good. Definitely one of the best first episodes I've watched in the last years.

Before fuwas data loss we talked about Musaigen no Phantom here, discussing the high amount of fan service in the first episode. I was really turned off by that but watched the episode anyways later that day. I must say I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The animations are really good and I like the art. The story is also quite cool imho. The limbo scene was too much fanservice for me, too, but we'll see how the show continues. Btw: I had a good laugh when the girl fell down the stairs and the main protagonist (yes, I'm really bad at recalling names!) hurries to her rescue. I immediately averted my gaze in disgust because I saw it coming: he catches her by her jugs. He addressed that ecchi-cliché-scene and managed with all his will and might to turn around in mid-air to avoid molesting her coincidentally. Hilarious and refreshing scene. That's the point where the anime caught me.

Dagashi Kashi was also quite entertaining. Although it was quite silly oftentimes. I really like Saya and Hotaru. :mare:

Spoiler

LRMb4tG.jpg

1 hour ago, BleedingSt4r said:

I agree to that. I got goosebumps watching the ep. :kosame: So good. Definitely one of the best first episodes I've watched in the last years.

Before fuwas data loss we talked about Musaigen no Phantom here, discussing the high amount of fan service in the first episode. I was really turned off by that but watched the episode anyways later that day. I must say I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The animations are really good and I like the art. The story is also quite cool imho. The limbo scene was too much fanservice for me, too, but we'll see how the show continues. Btw: I had a good laugh when the girl fell down the stairs and the main protagonist (yes, I'm really bad at recalling names!) hurries to her rescue. I immediately averted my gaze in disgust because I saw it coming: he catches her by her jugs. He addressed that ecchi-cliché-scene and managed with all his will and might to turn around in mid-air to avoid molesting her coincidentally. Hilarious and refreshing scene. That's the point where the anime caught me.

Dagashi Kashi was also quite entertaining. Although it was quite silly oftentimes. I really like Saya and Hotaru. :mare:

Reveal hidden contents

LRMb4tG.jpg

That scene got me too, in Musaigen no Phantom. And the silly Limbo dance/game of the poles sealed the deal (before the characters join in, I mean). I do hope the fan service stops at that point in intensity, and there's one thing I can't help but wonder about... what will happen with the MC?

Put simply, the joke towards the end of the episode actually rises a very fair point. With the addition of the new girl, the MC has become absolutely unnecessary for the team. Furthermore, they receive their reward in the form of goods to share, which means that he'll be taking a part of those in exchange of pretty much nothing. Will the anime somehow solve this? Or will they ignore this critical flaw that the first episode has shown?

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

That scene got me too, in Musaigen no Phantom. And the silly Limbo dance/game of the poles sealed the deal (before the characters join in, I mean). I do hope the fan service stops at that point in intensity, and there's one thing I can't help but wonder about... what will happen with the MC?

Put simply, the joke towards the end of the episode actually rises a very fair point. With the addition of the new girl, the MC has become absolutely unnecessary for the team. Furthermore, they receive their reward in the form of goods to share, which means that he'll be taking a part of those in exchange of pretty much nothing. Will the anime somehow solve this? Or will they ignore this critical flaw that the first episode has shown?

Yeah, the pole creatures very pretty funny, too.

Actually, I didn't really think about the last part when I watched the episode. But now as you mention it, it's really interesting. The show doesn't seem to take itself seriously. I like that.

So I finished Active raid episode 1.

This show is really meh.  I'm giving it one more episode before I drop it.  I don't really care if it gets better later on, it's too boring atm.

I'll try to succinct the show:  a girl gets assigned to a new police unit team.  She seems straight from the academy as she keeps going on about justice and "you can't do that".  The rest of the team is just like "you don't really exist" and continue on with business as usual.  Did I mention they are on a train/car hybrid, well they are.  They get a call about a robbery, and a dude goes and gets meched up, then he gets launched from a cannon mounted on the thing, and then a second guy shows up and gets launched as well.  This entire time we see the main girl being ignored. The two officers who got launched fight the perps, they go fly somewhere, and then the girl gets ordered to go run off towards the mechs, which are like a kilo away.  The officers destroy the perps mech and the scene ends with her arriving, somehow, and then shooting a cover parachute like device to prevent them from being seen, because for whatever reason, when the power runs out, the mechs dissolve. Queue girl screaming at unshown dicks.  The episode proceeds to end with them eating dinner together and some shit about the girl being special.

Does it sound boring? It's fucking boring. Rip one original this season.

^ It's boring because expectations. IMO I set myself to see the worst anime this season and what I got is "what if Psycho-pass is done with a SoL and power rangers fun style" and you know what? Active Raid actually became a pretty fun anime~

Props to Nakagawa for the soundtrack, not at Code Geass level, but it's still better than most. Oh and AKINO for making another catchy OP.

34 minutes ago, Jibril said:

^ It's boring because expectations. IMO I set myself to see the worst anime this season and what I got is "what if Psycho-pass is done with a SoL and power rangers fun style" and you know what? Active Raid actually became a pretty fun anime~

Props to Nakagawa for the soundtrack, not at Code Geass level, but it's still better than most. Oh and AKINO for making another catchy OP.

Quite true. For example, the fight was a bit too short and silly, but it wasn't bad per se. The animation wasn't cranky, or silly. The MC is annoying? Yes, she clearly is, but the characters respond consequently. They ignore her cuz she's "fresh out of school", which means she'll spew much crap about proper procedures and justice and that she won't know much about how things are ACTUALLY done if you want results. This is smth I found well done, since it kinda reflects many, many professions in the real world.

It's a pretty meh-ish anime, with the first episode not showing too much of anything, but I agree with you that the conclusion "It's fucking boring. Rip one original this season." is smth someone would say when they went into the anime already with an idea of what they want to see there, instead of letting the anime speak for itself.

11 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Quite true. For example, the fight was a bit too short and silly, but it wasn't bad per se. The animation wasn't cranky, or silly. The MC is annoying? Yes, she clearly is, but the characters respond consequently. They ignore her cuz she's "fresh out of school", which means she'll spew much crap about proper procedures and justice and that she won't know much about how things are ACTUALLY done if you want results. This is smth I found well done, since it kinda reflects many, many professions in the real world.

It's a pretty meh-ish anime, with the first episode not showing too much of anything, but I agree with you that the conclusion "It's fucking boring. Rip one original this season." is smth someone would say when they went into the anime already with an idea of what they want to see there, instead of letting the anime speak for itself.

Yeah, it was a lot more decent than i expected.

But you are right int hat it is boring, which is kind of sad as aside from Erased i have yet to watch a really good series this season that is not just ''wierd''.

8 minutes ago, havoc said:

Yeah, it was a lot more decent than i expected.

But you are right int hat it is boring, which is kind of sad as aside from Erased i have yet to watch a really good series this season that is not just ''wierd''.

I enjoyed Divinity Blade, have you checked it out? It still has to be seen if it can keep up the interest but, for now, the anime is much better than what the synopsis let go (a pretty bad synopsis). I wouldn't call it a "really good series", but certainly one to watch out for.

11 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

I enjoyed Divinity Blade, have you checked it out? It still has to be seen if it can keep up the interest but, for now, the anime is much better than what the synopsis let go (a pretty bad synopsis). I wouldn't call it a "really good series", but certainly one to watch out for.

you sure you got the anime right?

I may just be stupid but i can not find the name on the upcoming anime list on animenews.

The closest thing i have been able to find is divine gate, which i did check out.

Unfortunately this was one of those rare cases where i really hated the animation and the dreary mood the anime has going for it.

And a have a question.

what do you all think has the potential to be this season biggest train wreck? (does not mean you are not allowed to like it, i personally have also enjoyed a few train wrecks myself :))

I put my money on this one: Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn.

1 minute ago, havoc said:

you sure you got the anime right?

I may just be stupid but i can not find the name on the upcoming anime list on animenews.

The closest thing i have been able to find is divine gate, which i did check out.

Unfortunately this was one of those rare cases where i really hated the animation and the dreary mood the anime has going for it.

And a have a question.

what do you all think has the potential to be this season biggest train wreck? (does not mean you are not allowed to like it, i personally have also enjoyed a few train wrecks myself :))

I put my money on this one: Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn.

Sorry. Divinity Gate. No idea what am I saying anymore xD

I liked it precisely due to the gloomyness. It brings, ironically, some fresh to the boring cliché of standard shonen. I like how the MC is scarred due to an abusive past, to the ridiculous point that he cannot even eat warm food.

And train wreck? Hm... gonna think this one for a bit, I'll answer soon! :D

19 minutes ago, FinalChaos said:

Boku dake ga Inai Machi
My gut was right on the money with this one.
The execution, sound, animation, directing everything was done beautifully. 
Definitely one of the best animes this season.

I dont think that was mere gut.

the synopsis of the serie already betrayed that it was going to be one of the best. 

series like that don't usually get animated unless they are fairly sure they can do a decent job.

8 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

When I begin an anime, I have zero expectations whatsoever.  I give everything an equal chance to take my interest, and so far it hasn't been doing it.  I'm not the type of person to be affected by "lower expectations, better than expected" because I don't have any expectations anyway.

I just found the show's pace of doing things really off, and that's coming from me, someone who will watch some of the most repetitive shows ever.  Screwing up pacing is a death sentence from me, and this show seemingly did it.

25 minutes ago, Jibril said:

I completely forgot that Koyomimonogatari aired this season. It's a pleasant surprise and although its only 13 min per episode, it's still good~

GATE returns with what all the hipsters wanted; edgy. That raep scene, gosh poor girl....

Not really rape? I mean knowing the actual background, maybe? It's blackmail at most, and if you consider blackmail = rape, you should never visit sadpanda.  I'll wait for you to revise this opinion in like 5 episodes when more is revealed.

53 minutes ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

Not really rape? I mean knowing the actual background, maybe? It's blackmail at most, and if you consider blackmail = rape, you should never visit sadpanda.  I'll wait for you to revise this opinion in like 5 episodes when more is revealed.

Ah I see. Yeah it kind of makes sense from that perspective,. No wonder it isn't cut from the anime since it's technically, not a rape :P.

Lets see. 

Boku dake ga Inai Machi 1 - Seemly best so far. 

Dagashi Kashi 1 - Them eyes!!! 

Haruta to Chika 1 - Liked it a lot. Also hehe at the ending. 

Koukaku no Pandora 1 - Fanservice + female fighting robits was my take away. Eh, I guess I'll keep watching.

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu - Seems like fine time. 

Musaigen no Phantom World 1 - Eh. 

4 hours ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

3 hours ago, Jibril said:

Ah I see. Yeah it kind of makes sense from that perspective,. No wonder it isn't cut from the anime since it's technically, not a rape :P.

Eh, quite the contrary. It IS technically rape. Blackmail is the method, instead of doing it by force. Forcing a slave, who has no real choice due to blackmail, to have sex, is a very clear example of rape. And I'm up to date with the manga, so I'll add that

Spoiler

Yeah, it ends up serving her plan and all that, but it's not like this is her best option or choice. Due to her past circumstances she's been reduced to a sex slave, raped non stop by the prince singe ages ago. And she still has sex with him due to no having any real options besides that. She's not a free woman using her body and sex to control the prince. She's a sex slave (and a schemer) trying to make smth out of the fact that he'll have sex with her no matter what she says or wants.