Bored Otaku Looking For Some Fun In My Life

Lucius

Hi everyone. The name is Lucius. Pleasure to meet everyone.

I've been a big fan of choice-based games for a long time, so visual novels have really caught my interest. However, I noticed that a lot of them are out of my reach due to localization and translation issues, such as the amazing branching game of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Sui (which unfortunately won't ever be translated because Alchemist will never play nice with MangaGamer and vice versa).

Alas, I'm tired of having so many cool visual novels (and nukige ;) ) being unavailable to me, so I've made a promise to myself to pick up Japanese very soon... after I earn enough money to take up Japanese lessons (I'm too lazy and attention-deficit to ever learn the language on my own). So, with that burning desire, I have a question about learning Japanese...

Is it possible to play 90% of all visual novels after learning the language for 1-2 years? Or would I still struggle with reading everything every five minutes? How hard is it to learn Japanese, exactly? I've heard a lot of people dismissing the 'myth' that learning Japanese is tough when it's supposedly a very easy language to pick up. How much truth is there to the statement?

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all. Hope to see you around! :D 

Hey, welcome to the forum! :sachi:

To answer your question, reading visual novels untranslated is possible even without knowing the language completely, with the use of text hookers and translation programs. Personally, I have been learning Japanese on my own for about 6 months, and I am capable of reading fairly normal moege titles with ease.

That being said, a lot of VNs in the mystery, horror genre and also other VNs with plot that would naturally introdouce difficult words and phrases are difficult to read, even with these programs, and it would probably take years of learning to truly have a pleasant reading experience with such titles.

Clephas has a fairly in depth thread on this, though I don't have the link for it at the moment. Let me edit the post once I find it.

EDIT: Here it is

Edited by Dergonu

That being said, a lot of VNs in the mystery, horror genre and also other VNs with plot that would naturally introdouce difficult words and phrases are difficult to read, even with these programs, and it would probably take years of learning to truly have a pleasant reading experience with such titles.

Ahhh, years you said? Gah, I guess I wouldn't mind devoting about 5 years to learning Japanese if I could no longer have the need to rely on translations to read visual novels anymore. I just hope that it's possible to have an end-goal in sight rather than finding out later that you need a whole lifetime of Japanese-learning to truly enjoy visual novels. lol

Ahhh, years you said? Gah, I guess I wouldn't mind devoting about 5 years to learning Japanese if I could no longer have the need to rely on translations to read visual novels anymore. I just hope that it's possible to have an end-goal in sight rather than finding out later that you need a whole lifetime of Japanese-learning to truly enjoy visual novels. lol

Well, although it will most likely take a few years to be able to read without any programs at all, during the learning period you can still read things untranslated with the aid of programs, such as text hookers and parsers. And let me tell you, there is nothing more satisfying than actually being able to understand lines in the VN, completely without the help of the programs; actually noticing your improvement. It's a long ride, but it will be worth it in the long run if you are actually serious about it and want to do it. :sachi:

I'm sure some of the other members who have actually know Japanese can give a little more info on this topic.

Anyways, I've ranted long enough. Again, welcome to the forum!

Im reading japanese VNs with the machine translated method so far and for me it works, I actually enjoy the vn way more because I get to learn japanese in the process.

But yeah you're gonna miss the writing style and flow of the specific author, that still doesnt mean that you cant enjoy the story though.

Just keep at it, dont let the thought of learning scare you from reading VNs!

Welcome, Lucius. Learn japanese is not tough at all.

Based on my experience, if you want to read without help of any tool (e.g. JParser to put furigana above kanjis), one~two years might be insufficient time to learn enough kanji and vocabulary. Well, it is because I did wasted time instead study kanji hard, so I think I took more time. Anyway, I do not want to desmotivate you, I think if you study kanji hard (unlike me), maybe you can do it in 2 years.

If you do not care about kanji (you can even put furigana above the kanjis using tools), you should be able to read easily the majority of visual novel in 1-2 years.

Based on my experience, if you want to read without help of any tool (e.g. JParser to put furigana above kanjis), one~two years might be insufficient time to learn enough kanji and vocabulary. Well, it is because I did wasted time instead study kanji hard, so I think I took more time. Anyway, I do not want to desmotivate you, I think if you study kanji hard (unlike me), maybe you can do it in 2 years.

If you do not care about kanji (you can even put furigana above the kanjis using tools), you should be able to read easily the majority of visual novel in 1-2 years.

Would prior knowledge in Chinese language help? I was raised learning Chinese, so a number of kanji characters were quite recognizable to me, despite the nuance in meaning between Chinese and kanji characters. I also felt that, even though the characters of kanji can have different meanings from their Chinese counterparts, the difference isn't really that far-off.

Hopefully, my knowledge in Chinese characters would help decrease the learning period significantly. :P

Would prior knowledge in Chinese language help? I was raised learning Chinese, so a number of kanji characters were quite recognizable to me, despite the nuance in meaning between Chinese and kanji characters. I also felt that, even though the characters of kanji can have different meanings from their Chinese counterparts, the difference isn't really that far-off.

Hopefully, my knowledge in Chinese characters would help decrease the learning period significantly. :P

I think that previous Chinese knowledge would be a big help for you to some extent. Well, I do not know about the Chinese language, so I cannot guarantee it.
Although there are some "original" (国字) japanese kanjis, as far I know most of them are based on chinese characters.

I watched a lot of anime in the past before reading VN. Could understand simple dialogue and make out the meaning from translation programs. Since you have some chinese knowledge like me, it is simpler. After learning Hiragana and Katakana, and tried to study a bit of the kanji started reading VN. Knowledge seems fine, but I was stuck up with trying to read correctly per phrase, that's why I tried study kanji. But it came naturally while playing with voices that read out loud for you. 

P.S Forgot to mention, I self study. Not yet find time to take up courses.

And welcome.

Not telling you to take JPLT, just showing a chart I found recently. 

From JPLT wiki under 'Estimated Study Time'

Edited by minuore

I'd say it takes about 2 hours a day for about 6 months (about 360 hours of study) to get to a decent place to try starting reading VN's. This is focusing on grammar and reading (not conversation or writing). A few people actually get through this in 6 months, but most kind of wind through it in 1-1.5 years. Another reason why the start takes longer is that its the part where you have to get used to studying Japanese, and also figure out what you should be studying about. It's very disorienting for the first while since you'll have no idea how close you are to being able to read.

After that, about 1000 hours of reading and another 200 hours of grammar/vocab study (this part is very important, don't stop studying completely once you've started reading) and you'll be able to read 95% of VN's comfortably with dictionary assistance. This part probably takes another 1-1.5 years.

Add another 1000 hours of reading and 200 hours of grammar/vocab study, and you can read most VN's without dictionary assistance without looking up too many words.

I don't like to say "you can read VN's if you study for 5 years." It's more like, if you study for X amount of hours (with a non-silly study method), there's no way you won't make substantial progress towards your goal.

Edited by Chronopolis

Hello.

Wow....just hello? be more unique or creative.:makina:

And Hi~~~ welcome to fuwa. And nice name remind me of something but i cant really remember what is it.

Oh do u prefer Futanari or traps?

Too tired. I'll try again.

Yay! You made it to fuwa forums! Weee! You did it!

Thats better buddy!!!! even though i imagined you saying that with Monotone but its better than just a Hello. And Happy new year,

Oh do u prefer Futanari or traps?

Haha, if I have a choice, neither... But traps would probably be more preferable than futa... probably... I mean, the donger of traps are smaller, right...? :makina:

Depend i guess, But yeah most of them have smaller donger than the penerator. U should start liking traps, because traps will be essential for the future. They are the epitome of Moe, Traps are the same as Kinder surprise, u will never know whats inside until u open it :holo:.