Your Worst VN Experience

solidbatman

We all love visual novels here (or you wouldn't be here really), but like any medium of entertainment or story telling, there is bound to be some terrible example of the genre lurking in the corner. As much as we may try to hide it, or cover it up, its there, looking at us with its ugly eyes and rotten teeth.

So now I ask you, what would you say is the worst visual novel you have read, or the worst experience you've had with a visual novel and why?

i cant remember the names, but ive played a few where the protag is so hetare i want to throw my computer

maybe i overly protect myself from those now. as soon as i dont like something enough, i just drop the game and move on

Wanko's H scene every minute or so.

And Rewrite's unending common route.

I know some people likes RW's common route but the gags are something I saw already in the previous key games so it didn't made me laugh at all.

Other than that, I'm quite picky on what I play so there is really nothing that comes to mind.

I'm surprised on the common route, I thought it made a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things. But each to their own I guess.

I can't recall off the top of my head the name of the VN, but I think it is anytime the protag does something super unrealistic or out of character for plot purposes.

Princess Waltz. I can't deal with cliche stuff like that. And the "gameplay" was awful as well.

I'd say story-wise, nukiges in general are the worst. However, from the title, cover and description, you already know the game has no story, just H, so I don't really care about them. Hell, they're even funny sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad experience, but it was a disappointing one; Narcissu 3rd with three of the four scenarios not being written by the original author. I loved the first two games so I was really looking forward to the third installment. Ordered the game. It arrived, and the stories were so average that I ended up skimming through them all~

Worst titles for me:

http://vndb.org/v1451 — this was so bad that I didn't even reach H-scene before dropping it. Absolutely, totally hate both Protag and MH.

http://vndb.org/v3457 — well, this is pretty much universally acclaimed as the worst nukige in existence. I don't remember what exactly ticked me off tho.

http://vndb.org/v7096 — great concept with too bad execution. Gameplay is beyond bad, H-scenes are horrible. No idea why it is even listed on VNDB, as there are tons of h-games on rpgmaker engine which have better story/dialogues/h-scenes/chars/CG/everything else and they are not listed despite vn-style narration.

Fate route in FSN. The sexism was bothering me, Saber is an insanely bland heroine IMO and the whole thing was just painfully boring to read. UBW made up for it, but still...

Afterwards I tried reading the HF route as well but dropped it halfway through due to boredom. I guess Type Moon stuff is just really not my thing. Ironically, I thought Fate/zero was awesome, turns out it wasn't written by Nasu. Surprise surprise.

JAST USA and friends released some pretty bad games pre-2000. Among them being X-change and Love Potion.

X-change: http://vndb.org/v43

Love Potion: http://vndb.org/v740

Not surprisingly, the most awful game I've ever played is a Softhouse-Seal title. It's so bad even Mangagamer has avoided it (so far!)

Yokujou Tomarunners: http://vndb.org/v11981

For a complete list of awful games I've played, see everything I rated 4 and under here:

http://vndb.org/u20137/votes?c=all;o=a;s=vote

Fate route in FSN. The sexism was bothering me, Saber is an insanely bland heroine IMO and the whole thing was just painfully boring to read. UBW made up for it, but still...

Afterwards I tried reading the HF route as well but dropped it halfway through due to boredom. I guess Type Moon stuff is just really not my thing. Ironically, I thought Fate/zero was awesome, turns out it wasn't written by Nasu. Surprise surprise.

I never interpreted Shirou's behavior during Fate route as sexism. Seems like he was just being overprotective.

I never interpreted Shirou's behavior during Fate route as sexism. Seems like he was just being overprotective.

Shirou was quite blatantly sexist. How else do you interpret "I have to protect Saber because she's a girl". That said, it's clearly illustrated that his beliefs are arbitrary and stupid. The game itself isn't particularly sexist.

Shirou was quite blatantly sexist. How else do you interpret "I have to protect Saber because she's a girl". That said, it's clearly illustrated that his beliefs are arbitrary and stupid. The game itself isn't particularly sexist.

I don't remember exactly how the story went, but I think it was because Shiro felt it was his duty to protect others.

the worst experience you've had with a visual novel and why?

the mare route in hoshimemo.

it felt so unnecessary. the yumi route summed it up perfectly, there was no reason for you to go back and hit that. i'm all for lolibutts, but for serious. it was fluff for the sake of fluff, it did nothing for the story, and would have killed the entire vn for me if asuho wasn't so cute.

I just had it a few seconds ago. I was so concentrated playing eroge until my aunt entered my room and said: "Come downstairs and do the ritual to remove the Evil Eye of you."

I don't even believe in that shit.

If I'm sick: It's the evil eye!

If I sleep too long: The evil eye!

If I fall from the stairs: The evil eye!

This is the worst superstition ever.

Now, I have to go to my backyard to stand over a fire while she says some ritual things. (so ashamed)

Next to that, I don't have any bad visual novels that I've ever played. Only family who disturb me while playing visual novels.

I just had it a few seconds ago. I was so concentrated playing eroge until my aunt entered my room and said: "Come downstairs and do the ritual to remove the Evil Eye of you."

I don't even believe in that shit.

If I'm sick: It's the evil eye!

If I sleep too long: The evil eye!

If I fall from the stairs: The evil eye!

This is the worst superstition ever.

Now, I have to go to my backyard to stand over a fire while she says some ritual things. (so ashamed)

Next to that, I don't have any bad visual novels that I've ever played. Only family who disturb me while playing visual novels.

...Whats with this evil eye thing?

Anyways, so far, none, though I heard from a friend one that sounds bad, not the VN itself though, but the main protagonist who ruins it by being basicly a rapist, that VN became a no go to me as soon as i heard that, unfortunaly I dont remeber its name =(

...Whats with this evil eye thing?

Anyways, so far, none, though I heard from a friend one that sounds bad, not the VN itself though, but the main protagonist who ruins it by being basicly a rapist, that VN became a no go to me as soon as i heard that, unfortunaly I dont remeber its name =(

Ask my aunt, she is superstitious as hell. (and she lives with us)

When I was in 5th grade, I had to wear a small belt over my tummy to protect myself from evil shit.

My family still believes in those old folk traditions where you have to walk over a pot with fire a few times while saying things to remove the bad things, it's insane.

Ask my aunt, she is superstitious as hell. (and she lives with us)

When I was in 5th grade, I had to wear a small belt over my tummy to protect myself from evil shit.

My family still believes in those old folk traditions where you have to walk over a pot with fire a few times while saying things to remove the bad things, it's insane.

How are you allowed electricity!!?!? Surely that's demon magic!